A death....

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    easyrecycle started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts

Exclamation A death....

I know some of you know an some of you done. But I use to be a pipe fitter...I worked on power plants an even one nuclear power plant. I have worked for a few companies doing that an worked with many guys.

A phone call came in yesterday. Someone who I had worked with was on a job site an they had 1 death an 3 people in hospital due to being over heated. They where working in Fulton Arkansas. There was alot of water on the job site but they where not drinking as much as they should of been.

The guy who had passed away had left work an made it home but did not make it inside his house. He passed out in the front yard by the door an passed away

They been doing this kind of work for over 10years an they even failed to drink the amount of water he needs.

Make sure your drinking alot of water. Take brakes (if you are working outside) every 40mins to drink a GOOD size glass of ICE water or more an I would say after every 4 to 5hours go inside an sit down take a brake an TAKE YOUR TEMP TO MAKE SURE NOT OVER HEATED.

If you run a company an have people working under you. Have signs printed even if on paper that tells people the signs of over heating. Have the water jug checked to make sure there is still ice an water in it. make sure they take brakes (I MAKE my guys take a non-paid brake as often as they feel they need for drinking and cooling off)

Worse thing you can do in this heat is make your workers think that they can not stop to drink or rest if they feel over heated...someone can lose there life over that.

2. The Following 9 Users say Thank You for This Post by easyrecycle:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Totally agree, Easy. I am sorry about the loss, even though he wasnt a family member of yers, you still knew the guy.

I'm 293 pounds, i get out every day, no matter the weather, and work my butt off. I sweat more than any skinny guy i've ever met. I tell ya what, if you dont drink water, yer simply accelerating the time you die. It aint worth making yerself sick, giving yerself major headaches/migraines, or dieing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHoss for This Post:

easyrecycle started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    One of the other guys that was in the hospital has passed away today.

This heat will kill you...an kill you fast.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    I ended up in the hospital about 5 years ago from dehydration. Not a game folks. Stay hydrated.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IdahoScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Not just water. Keep those electrolytes up as well, not getting enough especially when you're sweating can be just as dangerous even if you're drinking plenty of water.

A good sports drink will provide enough to keep you going.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    2 full threads on this matter means that it is very important. After reading in the other one about water intoxication (too much water rinsing out the electrolytes), about mid day I get myself a 16 ounce bottle of G2 just to keep that stuff topped off as well.

Does anyone know if gatorade (G or G2) have any of those little drink packets that you can mix with a bottle of water?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Interestingly enough, I just ran across this article talking about the dangers of both too much water, and not enough water. It also lists a few alternatives.

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/summert...a-day-2512002/

While this doctor says the standard of 8 per day is too high, he says that active people of course need more than inactive people.

Oh, sorry about the loss. Something as simple as fluid intake causing the death of someone just stinks.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    They have canisters of powder, and then powder sticks.

http://www.gatorade.com/default.aspx...cepowdersticks

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    This is one thing that can never be said too much. Drink drink drink water. But you can overdo it. I went through basic training in the middle of the summer in Fort Knox, Kentucky. That's one of the first things they drill into your head. Beat the heat. Hydrate or die.
    Eat. Sleep. Scrap.

13. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. some of my busy summer (dialup death) part 1
      By Libertytow in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 09-25-2012, 02:41 PM
    2. Death & Taxes
      By Kris Kringle in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 02-27-2012, 08:18 AM
    3. Death & Dying
      By Dumpster-Dee in forum Off Topic Discussions