Trash picker uppers

| Scrap Metal Spots
    rca987 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Trash picker uppers

My folks are both realtors, so I know this is true.

Summer time is when MOST families move, because kids aren't in school. If you pick up metal from trash nights, take (mental)notes on houses with For Sale, or Sold signs in their lawn.

Also, garage sales. A lot of people throw their leftovers away, so if you're not comfortable getting your hand in the cookie jar before the sale is over, go back to that area the next trash day.

(I have not had a day to rest this month, have a pick up truck full of christmas lights waiting to be snipped :|, and trips to the yard every day....)

2. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by rca987:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Also, garage sales.
    Yep, up here the yard sales are coming out of our ears, everybody's got one, you can do a lot of good networking around them by just handing out business cards.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    Yep, up here the yard sales are coming out of our ears, everybody's got one, you can do a lot of good networking around them by just handing out business cards.
    Yep, someone had suggested doing that, and I smacked my forehead saying "why didn't I think of that?" ... It has worked REALLY well. Of course, then I end up with a ton of extra junk, most of it goes to a local consignment shop in town.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    most of it goes to a local consignment shop in town.
    If their paying you anything for it, it's all free money.
    I sorted thru one of our first loads and found 3 old safety razors from the 40's up to the 60's and sold them on ebay for around 9.95 ea. Collectors, gotta love them,,,

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well that's how the consignment works. I drop it off, they sell it and we split it 50/50.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It does seem like there's less scrappers out, or they are getting lazy. Past few trash nights I've gone on, I've loaded my truck up a couple feet above my cab.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,906 Times in 2,555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rca987 View Post
    It does seem like there's less scrappers out, or they are getting lazy. Past few trash nights I've gone on, I've loaded my truck up a couple feet above my cab.
    Not in So. Az more than ever... Even some with Sonora Mexico plates!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    This does work. I can usually end up with a few truckloads every weekend. Kinda blows a weekend away if you like time off but worth it in metal and other finds. There are so many yard sales around here now that lots have gone to free on Sundays or at least part of the day. The biggest find for me every weekend is exercise equipment. Nobody wants that back in their house! It's good weight and easy to break down. People just don't want to deal with their junk. Makes it easy for us scrappers.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo finds View Post
    Not in So. Az more than ever... Even some with Sonora Mexico plates!

More scrappers than there is metal in North Phoenix too.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    We have scouts that what watch city wide garage sales,when they are over people will usually put the stuff to the curb and thats when we get busy picking up the tv, appliances etc. We have learned of the years that once trash is put to curb it belongs to the city and is untouchable and will result in a fine unless homeowner allows you to pick it up..

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer Scrap View Post
    . We have learned of the years that once trash is put to curb it belongs to the city and is untouchable and will result in a fine unless homeowner allows you to pick it up..

That varies from city to city. Unless is specifically stated by a city ordinance it's not illegal to curb cruise. The rule of thumb a local LEO explained to me, if I don't need a warrant to go through it the public can go through it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I actually called my local police dept. to find out if it was legal take cans,etc. out of recycling bins. The police told me it's illegal and that I would be arrested if caught taking items from bins. However, they told me to ask the homeowner if it's okay. I know I'm not gonna waste my time knocking on doors to ask if i can go through their recycling bins..lol. I know I would rather someone just take what they want then knock on my door.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I knew a lady in LA who collected newspapers and toys. She went around the suburb (Glendale) and asked homeowners to put their papers out by the trash and on trash day she collected. She was a licensed junk dealer and took those papers downtown where she got top dollar. She took the toys home and her father did repairs if necessary and on Saturdays they went to the flea market. She made a lot of money. Perhaps a flyer would work...you could ask them to put it in a different spot so you'd know it was meant for you. If you have a lot of kids to feed it would help if you put that in your flyer ! lol

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think what it is, is summer time... cause everyone moves out...and most people can't take EVERYTHING... my truck is loaded once again....I think the 2 seater bicycle is the coolest thing I found tonight.
    Garbage keyboards > spɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʎɐqǝ

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I was driving to a buddy's house tonight when I passed a house that had tons of stuff out in their yard and by the curb. I stopped and started picking up scrap metal when I noticed they had a sign on their garage door that said "Everything is free, take what you want". I ended up loading up a gas grill, a really nice girls bike that looks pretty new, 2 prs of aluminum crutches, over the rage mircowave, bed frame, alot of boys and girls toys in great condition and alot of other misc. metal. I would have stayed longer to pick through more of the stuff since there was so much but a bad storm is moving in fast and had to leave it. sigh! not a bad find though regardless. Btw, I forgot to mention I found roughly around 60lbs of christmas lights. I used a bathroom scale to get me an approximate weight. Do you know if most yards make you take the bulbs out before scrapping?
    Last edited by Rob_B; 07-18-2011 at 10:25 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My yard takes them with the bulbs in for .40 lb. other yards have different policies.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yea my yard takes them with bulbs for .25 lb ..but without bulbs, they magically become #2 insulated, at around 1.25 lb

Wire snips take them bulbs off real quick. I usually find more lights before I'm done with my other stash though.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I just called 2 of my local scrap yards and the first one said they take christmas lights w/bulbs for .10lb or without bulbs for .50lb The other yard I called they take the lights for .25lb "as is". I think I will just take them "as is" because I would rather use that time looking for more scrap then to pick bulbs out of 60lbs of lights. LOL

20. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. ''Garbage Picker'' steals bikes in the news
      By newattitude in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 02-01-2016, 10:02 PM
    2. First trash run
      By BRASSCATCHER in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: 05-14-2013, 11:04 PM
    3. From trash to silver
      By Copper Head in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 12