scrap route

| Scrap Metal Spots
    crazyman16 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

scrap route

I am thinking about going around to my local auto repair shops and see if they had any junk metal, batteries etc they wanted to get rid of and set up a scrap route I was wondering how often do you usually go on your scrap routes? Also is it very profitable?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Re: scrap route

I've tried that with the auto shops in my area and all of them said they already have someone that picks up their scrap. If you live in a heavily populated area like I do. It's tough to get into. I used to be a district manager for a muffler and brake chain. When I was running shops we used to just throw the rotors and brake drums in the garbage. They can fetch quite a bit at the scrap yard as they are 15 to 20 lbs each and don't take up alot of room and when you look at a shop that does a pretty good volume we would easily throw out over 1 ton a week. The catalytic converters, the big scrap yards know what they are worth and send people out to buy them from the shops. They need to have receipts because converters are regulated by the government. Give it a try. I would say once a week is a good place to start but that is something you can work out with each shop depending on the amount of business they do. Good luck.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts

Yes, very profitable. That is the main business I do. Once a month, but this is a relatively rural area. One shop is every other week. I have a post on here titled "Persistence pays off". I stick with smaller independent shops. The competition for the chains or larger one is fierce. Also focus on areas further from scrap yards. I don't even bother going to shops in towns where scrap yards are located.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

okay thanks guys for the help I started scrapping a few years ago and do mainly vehicles and farm machinery and equipment that has been keeping me very busy but now i am going to be done with school so i will have a little more time and am just trying to find ways to find more scrap iron and make more money. Do some shops really give you catalytic converters???? thanks Aaron

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

If you're lucky enough to find one that will give them to you...great, but I doubt it. They will sell them to you if they don't have a regular that picks them up. Most shops know what they are worth. You might be able to get some that are empty/hollowed out and the bodies are heavy stainless.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

You'll probably need to put some cash out for converters. Be sure you're able to identify each type before you even begin buying as it's easy to lose big money with catalytic converters. I've heard stories like when the guy brought in an Aftermarket (worth $4) that he'd bought as a Large GM (worth $80). Then you've got the beaded type Large GM (worth $40).

Always make sure the screens are in place and undamaged.

I pay 50% of current market price, but the places I buy from are 30-50 miles from a scrap yard and I'm buying one or two at a time with rotors, mufflers etc. I've heard of guys paying 80% in towns where scrap yards are located. I have a contact buyer at the scrap yard I can call before I buy a converter to confirm its identity and current price.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

ya that's what i figured. Well i am going to go around and talk to repair shops hopefully this week. I do know catalytic converters pretty good since i have been scrapping cars for a few years now and i have a buyer 20 miles from me. So say they had a ton of light metal would you give them half of what your going to get for it? thanks for your help guys!!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

I generally pay about 1/4 or less for light iron. 1/3 if they bring it to me. It winds up being a lot of work as I store it until I've got a load (around two tons) and it takes up a lot of room for the weight. About 1/4 for #1 iron. You've also got to figure in fuel and travel time (the old T&M or Time and Material) that's used in other industries.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

[quote author=crazyman16 link=topic=241.msg293#msg293 date=1283725041]
    I am thinking about going around to my local auto repair shops and see if they had any junk metal, batteries etc they wanted to get rid of and set up a scrap route I was wondering how often do you usually go on your scrap routes? Also is it very profitable?
    [/quote]
    I have the same issue quoted on one of the previous replies, in that most of the shops already have someone who picks up. One thing you might try is to leave them your number in case their regular person cannot make a pick up and they really need the stuff hauled off. Also, if for some reason their regular will no longer be able to make the route then that gives you an in to try and pick up the shop as a steady source.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    There's just no open shops around here anymore for anything. The best I can do is scrap computer parts, I saw your blog, Mick, it's what led me to your forum. I saw pounds of computer scrapped boards on ebay going for $200! Is is mainly the gold they are looking for or are they looking for another metal?

11. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. my can n scrap collection route
      By scrappy888 in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM
    2. Starting a Scrap Route
      By Rusty Nuts in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM

Thread Information