My first big job...

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    TheFatMan started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

My first big job...

I got a call a couple weeks ago from a married couple who said they just bought a piece of property and they had some junk they wanted hauled off. I didn't think much of it at the time, I figured it was just your average trash job. However something told me to go out there and take a look at the job first, so that's exactly what I did.

Upon closer inspection and speaking to the couple in person, it turned out that the previous owners of the property had a 3 car garage that had caught fire and burned clear down to the foundation.

The couple then told me I could have all the metal on the grounds, however there was a catch, I had to have it all gone and hauled away in two days. They said I had a week to get back to them if I wanted the job or they were going with someone else. This didn't look at all like an easy job, especially because I only have a pick-up truck and a van to haul scrap with and apparently the previous occupants of the property were demo derby enthusiasts and hoarders to the max. What we're talking about here is 2 tons of wire, car parts, small engines, household appliance debris, short steel, and tin. I mean it was daunting.

I knew I wanted the job and I was also aptly aware I was not big enough in any sense of the word-- business, equipment, and skill wise to complete it. So I did what I always do. I grabbed a six pack and sat on the couch. Finally I figured I could rent some heavy equipment from some friends I have who do landscaping/excavating and let a friend or two in on the deal. I mean it's an easy 4000-6000lbs of tin and probably another 2000lbs of Non-Ferrous.

So I called the couple and told them I could have it out in 24 hours.

What transpired after that was probably the hardest most physical labor I've ever actually done and it was also mentally exhausting being that it was the first time I had ever been the supervisor of anything this big with so much potential for things to go wrong.

I got 2 friends on the deal. One works for a local excavating company and we were able to talk his boss into letting us use a dump truck and a small excavator for a lump sum of 75 bucks. The other friend, well I just didn't want to lift engine blocks by myself.

We started the job at 10am and began sorting through the rubble by hand and using the excavator to push the trash away from the heavier metal so we could load it. This proved pretty advantageous because it let us clean and sort the metal as we were loading it.

By 2pm, We had begun to fill the dump truck almost completely full of short steel and tin. We were also well on our way to having most of the metal sorted and cleaned. I had a 50 gallon trash barrel filled with nothing but insulated copper wire, catalytic converters, and electric motors. I had a truck bed filled with nothing but auto cast and car parts, burned copper wire, and a few things I wanted to keep like usable oxygen/acetylene and propane tanks.

By 3pm, we were completely done and just getting ready to load up. Things went smoothly. So smoothly in fact, the couple who owned the property were rather impressed and were inquiring as to whether or not they could hire me to haul away their non-metallic waste and I told them I'd charge them a good 300 bucks for it. They even liked that too! Go figure lol...

By 4pm, we were dropping the metal off to sort through it one more time just to make sure we weren't losing any money and making sure it was all prepped for the scrap yard when it opens on Tuesday.

By 5pm, the three of us were eating a bucket of chicken at KFC.

Overall, for my first big job I'm impressed with myself and my ability to just pull an entire business out of my backside. I think I'll probably make around 1500 once everything is sold to the yard. After I split it with the crew and pay the rental on the excavator and truck, I should clear a good 500 easy.

That's like making 100 bucks an hour. I'm dizzy at the concept lol.

Over all it was a good day though. No one got hurt. No one started fighting over petty stuff. No equipment was broken or lost. I'm actually impressed. I hope all my other jobs go this well in the future and now I definitely have an "In" when I need heavy equipment for hauling and moving junk.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by TheFatMan:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

few more pics

Few more pics

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Looks like a pretty good haul. I am curious why you were alloted a week to think about it, but only 2 days to remove it?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoScrapper View Post
    Looks like a pretty good haul. I am curious why you were alloted a week to think about it, but only 2 days to remove it?
    that one got me as well.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The couple works a regular week, Mon-Fri. They didn't want anyone on their newly purchased little plot of land unless they were present. The county said they had a certain amount of time to clean the stuff up or they would get fined. I'm guessing they procrastinated quite a bit.

Apparently, all they had time for to clean the place up was their weekends and they had already caught a few people trying to make off with a few radiators and small engines. I live in Indiana, It's actually a pretty normal event for someone to see a pile and just stop to load crap up from it. Theft is really common around here. They had a small carport area full of broken tools and other stuff--the previous owners used the space like a shed. I got most of my insulated wire from there. I got a pic of that. I used it to store metal and sort through it so I wouldn't get in the way of the excavator.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Good job dude, way to put it together,,,

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    Nice job. Let us know how your trip to the scrap yard goes.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Way to think it thru and git ur dun.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm very impressed FatMan.... with the planning, the execution, and the report of it. Good thinking, good working...And, good writing! Way to go !

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Doing the big jobs is how companies (like me an the few other on here) stay alive an can do this on a full/large scale.

Now I do have some things to say.

You saying you can do it in 24hours an DOING it in 24hours...I have to give you props on that...its not easy to jump into a site like that an get the job done that well on your first shot.

Can I have the number to the guy who let you use the dump truck an all for $75? That was a deal and a half!! Take a case of beer to that guy...you want to keep him around encase of another job

In your story I dont think you took a digital camera with you the first time. But anytime you go take a look at a job...take one with you an take photos of EVERYTHING...it will help you in the planning stage so you know what is where an have a game plan.

If the two people where really happy with that you where able to do. Ask them to give you a letter or something so that if you get another job an they want proof you can get blank job done you can show them photos of the job before hand an photos after along with a letter of the happy land owners...that alone can set you apart from other companies.

Good haul an hope you nail another one!

12. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by easyrecycle:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Took in a little more than half the load today... $637 a new record for me. It was all tin and short steel though. I will be taking in copper and the burned out appliances tomorrow. Will post pics then. I'm enjoying this!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    good deal...keep up the hard work

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    hooray for you fatman

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    $637!

Thats why i specialize in Farm/Ranch clean-ups.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Awesome job!! Nice description of events too. I learn more from stories like this than I do asking specific questions!
    Faith x Needs = Motivation

18. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Big job (for me) today
      By demillo in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 03-13-2012, 05:12 AM
    2. I hope this will be my first big scrap job.
      By PartTimeScrapper in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 10-05-2011, 08:47 PM
    3. I took a job away from the big guys
      By JunkyBusiness in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 04-14-2011, 02:04 PM
    4. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM

Thread Information