help, computer coax cable ends ?

| General Electronics Recycling
    EcoSafe started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts

help, computer coax cable ends ?

I need a link to a previous thread, or help in identufying the cable end.

it is shiney no spark, non magnetic, and very hard metal, seems to be much harder then stainless. came off the end of some coax cables in a few palets of computer scrap I bought from eglin AF base a few years ago. the cables seem to be thicker then the average cable, they are wrapped in both white copper web and alu foil then the rubber coating. the ends contain gold fingers not brass. and the connector at one end is what Im talking about. they are marked AMP.

Last edited by EcoSafe; 07-02-2011 at 11:43 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Those are satellite style connectors made by Amphenol, they use them for ham, business band, and other high frequency applications. Are you referring to something like this??? They do gold plate some connectors(brass underneath) because of the higher freq's. Some are silver plated, or zink plated brass. A lot of the pins have the gold plating.

http://www.mouser.com/amphenolaerospace/

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

thanks but thats not it

it is just like a reg bomputer cable connector flat many fingers sry cant showe a pic.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Amphenol makes connectors for every part of the communication spectrum, in other words they have their fingers in everybodys pie!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    OK, we need to get some terminology straight here. Coax, as in coaxial cable has one conductor running through the middle surrounded by a typically foam seperator and then wrapped in a shielding that can be either foil, a few strands, or a braided web. Any connectors that are on this cable will have the center conductor and that is it aside from the grounding or shielding that is the connector itself. This cable is used to transmit RF or radio frequencies that actually travel between the center conductor and the shielding. typically used for ham radio setups (from tower to radio), communications towers and CATV (Community Antenna for TeleVision, or more commonly referred to as cable TV). Typically not used in conjunction with computers unless RF transmission is involved.

The connectors that mec688 posted are for a multi-conductor type of cable (and may be an RF multi-conductor).

Old dude, when you mention flat it may be a "D" type of connector. A "D" connector has 2 rows of connections with one row having one less connection than the other. So a 9 pin "D" connector would have a row of 5 pins and a row of 4 pins. When you hold the connector and look at the pins in the right direction, the outer case around them looks like similar to an upper case letter D, allowing for the connection to only fit one way and not damage the pins. One common use for this type of connector is used to connect the computer to the monitor. A monitor typically has a cable coming from it with a "D" connector to hook to the tower.

I hope this clarifies a little and we can now figure out what you do have. I have seen coax tossed around wrong in a few places here lately and we just need to clarify.

I think it is time that we get an identification area set up in our forum somewhere here. this is also all off the top of my head, so please correct me if I am wrong somewhere here as the memory fades over time and terminology changes as the years go by as well.
    Last edited by parrothead; 07-03-2011 at 07:22 AM.

6. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by parrothead:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

cable connectors

ok thx PH now maybe we can get some where. yes these are the wide multi (many) finger cinnectors. they came from the air force base a few years ago, what Im tryintg to find out is, on some of them the case inclosing the pins the actual connector is like no metal I have ever seen. no spark non magnetic and as hard as a drill bit. it is semi shiney (shiney but not mirror finish) and un like other connectors it has screws holding it tigether

8. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Does coax cable have any value at all?
      By BurlyGuys in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 38
      Last Post: 05-21-2013, 05:38 AM
    2. scrap cable ends do they have any value
      By azgard in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 04-26-2012, 10:23 AM
    3. More Q's On Cable Ends
      By Jeremiah in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 02-14-2012, 05:40 PM
    4. Syracuse New York, Computer Auction-Ends Feb,12