DoD scrap contracts

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    fnord started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

DoD scrap contracts

I wonder if you fine folks would indulge me. i keep looking at these government auctions where you bid for a contract to haul stuff off for them vis a vis the following: http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD
    Now, it looks like to me, they're offering to sell you the scrap for what you can sell it for (after you haul it away). I know there has to be a catch, but I don't know what that is. Thanks in advance.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I've been seeing more and more liquidations not requiring mutilation. Especially on spent brass, just wish they where all weren't more than 150 miles from me.

fnord started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Right, but doesn't it say that you have to buy it from them at market price? How would that be a good deal? Or is it the case that some fraction of it does not require mutilation? Is that what I'm missing?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I've looked at those but I have a feeling that deal probably most always goes to one of the large local yards. The ones in my area are 400,000 lb. lots. I'm not there yet...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    I saw one auction sell for a half million bucks. I dunno if any here are playing with that kind of money.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Yea, I'll take that out of petty cash.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    I buy from that auction every now an then. Sometimes things go very cheap. You just have to keep an eye on it. But if you start bidding on a item an its over 20k be ready to send in your bank info as they will want proof that you have the money on hand to pay for the scrap when it sells. They WILL not bend the rules on that one. So make sure you have your paper work in order.

On some items like the item you posted in here they may ask you as well (not just if you have the money on hand) but that you have the power to run X amount of trucks to get it removed. If you tell them you don't have trucks but you can get them as you will be renting them an ect ect....they will not let you bid. You need to have everything in order on the bigger loads, even more so if they said it needs to be removed in a VERY short time.

Just alittle bit of info.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    One thing you can do to get in on this game is your local municipality or state auction. I used to bid on the NC State surplus auctions (that's where my 69 Chevy C-20 came from) and win quite a few of them to cut up scrap.

I hate to think of all the escrap I sold for "tin" back then as there was no market for it and I was scrapping 1970s computers and telecom equipment (lots of gold pins in them). Still, I made pretty good money off the auctions. I'd bid what I could get for tin and pull out all the non ferrous and then scrap the remainder. I also sold alot of the machines to rebuilders as well.

9. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by fiat128:

10. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Contracts
      By Libertytow in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 09-13-2012, 06:49 PM
    2. Contracts
      By GeorgeB in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 31
      Last Post: 01-07-2012, 10:41 AM
    3. Question on Contracts
      By LadyScrappers in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 12-15-2011, 09:30 PM
    4. What are your thoughts about investing in paper contracts?
      By ScrapHunter in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 12-09-2011, 09:45 AM

Thread Information