Today's battery buy

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    Mick started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts

Today's battery buy

For the past couple weeks, I've been moaning to myself and the wife how I'm not getting calls for scrap lately; not getting as many batteries as I had been and not getting the response from the web site that I should. So today I get a call for a guy wanting to sell some batteries and he'd found me by searching the web. Asked him what he had. Said he had 12 solar batteries that had been powering his house. He guessed them at 150 pounds each, so total 1800 pounds. Not bad for a Saturday afternoon. Took my dr's office scale with me. He weighed himself as assurance of its accuracy. There were 12 identical batteries, so we agreed to weigh one and apply that to all 12. It weighed 341 pounds. Neither of us could believe it, so checked against the bathroom scale I carry under the seat. Spun the dial past the 300 pound limit. They would total 4092 pounds.

He said he now understood why the little Harbor Freight trailer he had them in looked so weighed down.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    He said he now understood why the little Harbor Freight trailer he had them in looked so weighed down.
    haha. I would have thought that much weight would have folded it like a horse shoe.

Mick started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Good deal goes VERY bad:

On the way to the Exide recycler today. Within a mile of the place on a six lane highway and looking for the street to turn onto. Looked back to see a line of cars in front of me stopped at a red light. Had to brake hard (thanks for trailer brakes or it would have been worse). Even though I had the load strapped down and blocked in with 1x6's, two tons of batteries shifted forward and broke the 1x6 and going all the way forward on the trailer. One fell off but I didn't know it till I turned off to inspect the damage and counted the batteries. Saw the battery on the side of the street, but couldn't get to it and couldn't have lifted it back on the trailer, anyway. Called the police to report it and went on to unload. Another one was broken and leaking, so went from 4096 pounds of batteries to 3518. Went back to get the one that fell off and it had completely busted - the plates were out of the casing. Loaded the up to take to Exide as trash. Fire Department said they'd just wash the street and it'd be like it hadn't happened. Asked if I was getting a ticket from the police. Apparently not.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Sorry to hear that Mick but at least no blood was shed, like you said, could have been worse.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Glad it wasn't worse, too Mick.

6. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Texas - Dallas Area Yard...WE BUY THINGS OTHER THAN E-SCRAP!!!....but we buy that too...
      By HLH&R Metals Recycling in forum Scrap Buyers & Sellers
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 07-31-2013, 11:38 PM
    2. Today's load
      By ggariepy in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 09-02-2012, 10:14 AM
    3. today's score!
      By freonjoe in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 04-16-2012, 08:31 PM
    4. Today's life.