Scrapping Grandpa's Hogfarm

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    sheltonbradley started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Scrapping Grandpa's Hogfarm

Hey I been tasked with scrapping Grandpa's farm.... I dont how to tell different metals apart and I been looking for market trends for metal turn-in... Back in April I know the price was .06 for them gates but now its a .05 ... how do i know when the market is right? how do I learn metal types? I had thought clean metal meant washed down, lol, I found out that it means no mixed metals.... I been going to Picketts near dayton, Ia... well this is my start of questions.... I will be back with more I am for sure...

Last edited by Andrew; 09-20-2010 at 02:51 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts

Re: Scrapping Grandpa's Hogfarm

Timing the market is usually a futile practice. Ive been trying for two years and got lucky. Emphasis on lucky. Generally, early Spring and Fall will be best unless the metals market needs to replenish stock for some reason (usually heavy building/construction).

As for metal types - first is ferrous (magnetic) and non-ferrous (non-magnetic). Non-ferrous is worth more per weight. Most common non-ferrous metals are; Aluminum, Copper, Lead and Brass. There are several grades of each and price depends on dimensions. Stainless steel can be almost any degree of magnetic; from not at all to very.

Any scrap yard should have published prices. Get a sheet or copy them down. Ask questions; they dont mind. Ask if they publish a guide on how to prepare stuff by size and any special conditions. For any long pieces of iron (includes steel), youll have to decide if its worth the time and expense to cut it down so it'll be worth more overall. If a piece has several types of metal, you might want to just cut off the nonferous sections that are easily separated
    Last edited by Andrew; 09-20-2010 at 02:51 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

hmmm.... i must have got lucky on the spring market, but I tried a couple days ago so late summer aint good... i was thinking january february would be the best times when nobody wants to do it....
    Last edited by Andrew; 09-20-2010 at 02:52 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

In January/February, they may be on their Winter prices. Try in the middle of September, then again in March or April. I use the website London Metal Exchange (LME) to track price trends. Wont tell you what prices are locally, but lets you track the global market. The local market usually follows the LME.

EDIT - I just checked and the site is actually called KITCO. Their data is from LME.
    Last edited by Andrew; 09-20-2010 at 02:52 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Tin .. tin roofing and siding .... I started prying them off and 9 sheets i was feeling whooped.... Is there a better way? nailed.... I am thinking bout pushing it over with a skid loader and tossing the rubble around till the nails loosen up....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Id use a angle grinder on the nail heads. But then, thats my answer to almost everything. I dont even have a cutting torch.
    Last edited by Andrew; 09-20-2010 at 02:53 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Id use a angle grinder on the nail heads. But then, thats my answer to almost everything. I dont even have a cutting torch.
    Some times less tools is faster and a easy clean up

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Someone on here was doing mobile home siding and was using a shovel of some sort to slide under the sheet and pry up which either popped out the screws or opened up the holes enough for the metal sheet to come loose.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    a hatchet works nicely for things like this

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    Someone on here was doing mobile home siding and was using a shovel of some sort to slide under the sheet and pry up which either popped out the screws or opened up the holes enough for the metal sheet to come loose.
    You could use a roofing shovel or a beveled shovel. Both have bevels for popping nails, but the roofing shovel has a triangle on the back so that it's on an angle for "sliding" down the roof easier. You can get them at most any hardware store for about $30.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    You could use a roofing shovel or a beveled shovel. Both have bevels for popping nails, but the roofing shovel has a triangle on the back so that it's on an angle for "sliding" down the roof easier. You can get them at most any hardware store for about $30.
    Yea, when we redid our roof we rented one for $10. for the whole day,,

12. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Need advice scrapping trailers! New to scrapping!
      By Instaed in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 01-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Thread Information