Going to Bid A Job

| General - Let's talk business
    ocedy started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Going to Bid A Job

Fellow Sctappers, Got a call from a guy that wants me to tear down an old house. I have not torn one down in years. I have done a few mobile homes. This is a small farm house which has all allum. Windows, copper wiring. Brass door knobs. So there is some scrap value. Now here is my issue. I have two guys that work for me on jobs when needed. I should be able to complete in one week. I do not want to under bid myself. What do you think is a fair price for a job like this? Thanks

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    If you're tearing the whole thing down maybe $3000? I've never done anything like that so I have no experiential knowledge, so this is probably a bad conjecture.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sell the wood as reclaimed or cull. We sell Cull lumber (warped, twisted, cracked) at the yard for a fraction of the price because we need to weed it out. Guys would buy Tons of it for odds and end jobs, or for cutting into blocking, bracing, or short pieces. Could make some that way.
    Faith x Needs = Motivation

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Wish I could help you. Sooooooo many variables. Since you have done it before, you probably have a leg up on most of us here. When you do bid the job, we would be interested in hearing about it. Especially the factors involved such as dumpsters, man hours, scrap coming back in your favor, etc. Please keep us informed on this endeavor.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Burn it down lol, its on a farm, thats what we do around here!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
    Wish I could help you. Sooooooo many variables. Since you have done it before, you probably have a leg up on most of us here. When you do bid the job, we would be interested in hearing about it. Especially the factors involved such as dumpsters, man hours, scrap coming back in your favor, etc. Please keep us informed on this endeavor.
    I second this! Would love to hear how this goes down. Either way, best of luck to you!

ocedy started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Bid

Well guys thanks, We are under a burn ban so I can't do that. I am going to piece out the wood and sell as used on CL. I may do the Windows too, this way get more than scrap prices.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have been doing a lot of these lately, and I'm about over doing them lol.

You can sell the windows, doors, and miscellaneous appliances. People will pay for those. The skirting can be sold as well. Just make a few ads on CL with the measurements and what not.

If you're tearing down the trailer on site and you need to haul away the debris you're not scrapping, It's best to get a dumpster dropped. Most places want 150 bucks to drop one and then it's usually 20-50 bucks a ton when its picked up and processed. Rarely do I go the dumpster route, I usually just call the fire department and tell them I have a test house and let them burn it down and then I just borrow a torch from a friend and turn most of it in a short steel.

Just some ways you can go about it. I personally would ask for 1500-2000 depending on the size. You're going to spend 800-1000 for trash removal if you can't toss a match.

9. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Pallet of cell phones...to bid or not to bid
      By TeleFurb in forum Auction Talk
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 05-21-2013, 08:00 PM
    2. could you bid on this
      By Scrappile in forum Auction Talk
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM
    3. Who bid on this is crazy!!!
      By sjones99 in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 02-05-2012, 06:31 AM
    4. What would you bid on this?
      By doso in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 02-01-2012, 11:24 PM
    5. ?'s about trying to subcontract a scrap job from a scrap company at their job site
      By jtscrapper in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 06-10-2011, 06:27 AM

Thread Information