Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ilyaz started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

question for scrapping "hobbyists": how to pay less taxes?

I guess this question is intended primarily for people who has been scrapping as a "hobby with benefits" i.e. using scrapping as a secondary source of income: What do you do when it's time to file your taxes, and what do you do give less to Uncle Sam -- legally? Is it possible to open some type of business entity and get some tax benefits from that, even if these benefits are only for the 1st year or two or three? Do you have to generate a certain minimum amount of $ from your scrap to make opening such entity either legal or worthwhile? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I operate plaxant.com as a sole proprietorship. Everything goes towards my income. But I also use every deduction possible.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    $600 or over is reported as income. But, you can deduct the cost of anything used to generate that income. Even if you use your car, you can deduct a percentage of the car's maintenance or mileage. Don't forget to deduct what you paid for the scrap (Cost of Materials), tools and grinder wheel/Sawzall blades.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    And your clothes for your "business", me personally; if it's in cash it's hidden in my pocket, Uncle Sam don't need to know,,, What he don't know, don't hurt him, lol

Kris Kringle
    My saying goes Keep it Small and Keep it all

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Kringle for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    then do you still get a business license ?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumpster Dee View Post
    then do you still get a business license ?
    Having a business license is not related to taxes (except that you can deduct the cost of the license from your taxes). One is a State function; the other is federal. You can do one and never do the other. And it's no easier nor harder to get caught without either. By filing taxes as a business (even as Sole Proprietor), you can pay LESS taxes by showing a Business Loss which then lowers your taxes on your other income. I've done this by various means; including deducting the cost of the trailer in one year (it was a high income from scrap year) rather than depreciating over five years.

9. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mick:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    As for me, being a disabled vet I don't have to pay taxes so what's mine stays mine!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    As for me, being a disabled vet I don't have to pay taxes so what's mine stays mine!
    Oh? I'm a disabled vet, too, at 40%. Been paying taxes since on any earned income (vs disability compensation). I think the only thing you don't pay taxes on is your disability comp from the VA.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    As Am I, but am waiting for my percentage. Are you saying that you don't pay any taxes for a business? is That in Indiana or just a choice, lol? I would like to learn more about that if it's the former and if you want to pm me instead of putting it here. My understanding has always been what Mick posted. Thanks.

ilyaz started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Having a business license is not related to taxes (except that you can deduct the cost of the license from your taxes). One is a State function; the other is federal. You can do one and never do the other. And it's no easier nor harder to get caught without either. By filing taxes as a business (even as Sole Proprietor), you can pay LESS taxes by showing a Business Loss which then lowers your taxes on your other income. I've done this by various means; including deducting the cost of the trailer in one year (it was a high income from scrap year) rather than depreciating over five years.
    Mick, so let me see if I am reading this right. If I have a regular W-2 from my day time job then I file 1040 without any mention of the scrap income. Then, I also fill out a separate return for a business even if I don't have any business license and report all my scrap income and related expenses there. Right?

Now, here's the tricky part: if I claim more expenses than income and so get a net loss, I get to write the loses off and might actually get a refund instead of paying additional taxes, correct? I heard somewhere that you write off loses like that only for the first couple of years your business is mentioned in your tax forms.

Or am I interpreting this wrong?

Thanks!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    I wouldn't post statements implying taxes aren't being paid. I don't care one way or the other myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's an over paid gov employee trolling forums looking for people that don't report income.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IdahoScrapper for This Post:

Kris Kringle
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoScrapper View Post
    I wouldn't post statements implying taxes aren't being paid. I don't care one way or the other myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's an over paid gov employee trolling forums looking for people that don't report income.
    Agrees 100%

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ilyaz View Post
    Mick, so let me see if I am reading this right. If I have a regular W-2 from my day time job then I file 1040 without any mention of the scrap income. Then, I also fill out a separate return for a business even if I don't have any business license and report all my scrap income and related expenses there. Right?

Now, here's the tricky part: if I claim more expenses than income and so get a net loss, I get to write the loses off and might actually get a refund instead of paying additional taxes, correct? I heard somewhere that you write off loses like that only for the first couple of years your business is mentioned in your tax forms.

Or am I interpreting this wrong?

Thanks!
    That is absolutely correct, legal and common. The IRS expects that there will be a Business Loss for several years in any startup (guidelines USED to be no more than three years out of five, but no longer if you can show certain sincere attempts at showing a profit). Business income and loss is documented on Schedule C and the income or loss is transferred to your 1040 as ordinary income (Loss would reduce taxable income). Having a Business license is not relative. The IRS is only interested in "Did you operate a business during XXXX (year)?" If you consistently show a Business Loss year after year, the IRS MAY question it and make a determination that you operate a hobby, but you will have a chance to show you did attempt to make a profit. Hobbies are still reported as income, but not allowed to show a Loss.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mick for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You only file one 1040 for the year - The business income/loss is put on that same 1040 as your w-2 income. There is a specific line for it (in 2010, I think it was Line 40).

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    If you do show a loss though, they may not allow all of your deductions like home office or some of your 179 deductions(100%depreciation of an asset in one year), you can roll them over into the next year if you show a profit then.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You can't depreciate within a year anyway. Depreciation is only for items that will continue to have value and be used to make money over several fiscal years. IE: a truck, a trailer, etc... If it is used within a year, then it is a consumable, and can be fully deducted.

(Taking accounting for work. Still learning, but willing to help.)
    Faith x Needs = Motivation

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Saroro for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    The schedule 179 deduction allows you to take the whole deduction on many items the same year, it's how I have handled all of my tools and business property over the years big and small. Who knows I may not be around next year.
    http://www.irs.gov/publications/p946/ch02.html
    Last edited by KzScrapper; 06-08-2011 at 10:55 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to KzScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Definitely write off everything you can and this will help balance out your income and expenses. It's surprising what you can actually count as a loss.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Saroro View Post
    You can't depreciate within a year anyway. Depreciation is only for items that will continue to have value and be used to make money over several fiscal years. IE: a truck, a trailer, etc... If it is used within a year, then it is a consumable, and can be fully deducted.

(Taking accounting for work. Still learning, but willing to help.)
    Multi-year depreciation is mostly aimed at large corporations who reach maximum deduction amounts based on their large scale. It's all about maximum benefit based on capital improvements.

27. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Replies: 10
      Last Post: 09-10-2013, 10:46 PM
    2. For California Scrappers: "Intent to handle e-waste" notification for the DTSC
      By mrsamsonite in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM
    3. weight of processors and "weather" question
      By Ecycle Atlanta in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 10-16-2012, 08:06 AM
    4. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 06-27-2012, 10:00 PM
    5. does your yard pay in "gross" ton?
      By lsimson in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 11