How to get dealer pricing.

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    easyrecycle started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts

How to get dealer pricing.

In another post I was replying to about dealer pricing. I thought I would make a post on it so that every one can read it an have it show up in forum search.

One of the easiest ways to get on dealer pricing is to use one scrap yard and keep the weight tickets for a few months...this can be used in more than one way..I'll explain that here in a few.

After you did that go into the office an ask to talk with a buyer an when you an them sit down show them cheat sheet showing in the last 6months you had x amount of tons of metal an types of metal an you are looking at other options. You would like to see get dealer pricing on the metals an you are looking at other scrap yards that will "take care of you" (the buyers at that yard dont like hearing that you are pinning them up with another yard) So they may or may not.

If not that is fine. Take the paper work that you had along with your cheat sheet an go to the other yards around town an see what they will do with you.

Make sure that you say yard-A is going to pay me blank an yard-B is going to pay me blank an tell them...they will be like well....we can beat yard-A pay an match yard-B ect ect

(dont think this will work if you take in low amounts of metal. Every week I am sending in over 1,500 pounds of metal that is over $4.20 a pound not counting my steel that is over 8,000 pounds an 1,000 pounds of copper wire....so my prices will be better but if you are taking in a good amount of weight...they may put you on another price level.

I hope this helps some of ya'll an get some better prices. If anyone gets better prices let me know or if you need more help in working with a yard.

*if you have a business license for recycling that can an will put you on another price level...as they will think hey...they will be growing an get more scrap over time..we want to be the only yard they deal with..they can be the next 18wheeler load worth of scrap a week.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to easyrecycle for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Most yards I've seen do give better prices for higher volume. I'm small scale business right now, and this seems to happen to me. Isn't MUCH more, but still more.

(Sometimes they adjust the price, sometimes just do away with the tare, or throw my dirty in with my clean)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rca987 View Post
    Most yards I've seen do give better prices for higher volume. I'm small scale business right now, and this seems to happen to me. Isn't MUCH more, but still more.

(Sometimes they adjust the price, sometimes just do away with the tare, or throw my dirty in with my clean)
    Ask them if they can give 1up (means that if there scales are right to one pound an you have copper...an ask for one up..they will give you one more pound of copper (incase you had 1.5 or 1.9 pounds they will give you 2.00pounds.

Back when I was a smaller yard thats one of the first thing they did for me..was give me 1up on my pricing metals. (I made sure it was like 1.1pounds so I would get 0.9 of ghost weight.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrecycle View Post
    Ask them if they can give 1up (means that if there scales are right to one pound an you have copper...an ask for one up..they will give you one more pound of copper (incase you had 1.5 or 1.9 pounds they will give you 2.00pounds.

Back when I was a smaller yard thats one of the first thing they did for me..was give me 1up on my pricing metals. (I made sure it was like 1.1pounds so I would get 0.9 of ghost weight.
    The yards I use don't have those fancy exact weight scales with the decimals. This logic wouldn't work.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The yards I use don't have those fancy exact weight scales with the decimals. This logic wouldn't work.
    Thats the point...they know it wont give the exact weight..that is why they will give you 1up. So lets say if you had 1pound...but it COULD been 1.2 or something they will bump it to 2pounds to cover the decimal. Not sure if I am explain this right or not..but in short it just means they will add one pound to your high dollar items.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think I get what you're saying, but I can't envision myself asking the yard to basically give me free weight. Regardless of whether or not they are "stealing" my 0.2 lb or what have you.
    I'm a very if I don't agree, I don't do sort of person, and I see the yard giving me any kind of bonus to weight as a gift, whether it be adding ghost weight, removing tare, rounding cash change to the nearest .05 or any of the sort...People don't normally ask for gifts.

That's what keeps me coming back. Those types of yards actually want their customers coming back without feeling screwed over.

I kind of see this as sort of like seeing a bum on the street with a sign asking for money. I could very well be seeing something totally different than what you're trying to portray, but that's what I see.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    If a few of you guys down in Texas were to get your loads "together" and take them in at the same time, there's your larger quantity you were looking for. Just have some idea how much you have before hand, so you can do a fair split.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think I get what you're saying, but I can't envision myself asking the yard to basically give me free weight. Regardless of whether or not they are "stealing" my 0.2 lb or what have you.
    I'm a very if I don't agree, I don't do sort of person, and I see the yard giving me any kind of bonus to weight as a gift, whether it be adding ghost weight, removing tare, rounding cash change to the nearest .05 or any of the sort...People don't normally ask for gifts.

That's what keeps me coming back. Those types of yards actually want their customers coming back without feeling screwed over.

I kind of see this as sort of like seeing a bum on the street with a sign asking for money. I could very well be seeing something totally different than what you're trying to portray, but that's what I see.
    I think you see what I am saying now. An I see it as a fair trade off. They get alot of free weight all the time because there scales don't go down below the 1pound mark. But every one has there own way of looking at it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    boy do they get free weight...I've never seen any yard employee telling people if they separate their metals they'd make more money !!!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If you selling large quantity's you dont use a small scale you use a truck scale!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones99 View Post
    If you selling large quantity's you dont use a small scale you use a truck scale!
    Not when your dealing with items worth over over $3.00 a pound. They are done a little bit diffident

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrecycle View Post
    Not when your dealing with items worth over over $3.00 a pound. They are done a little bit diffident
    Only if you are dealing in 15 and 20lb increments...If you deal in thousands of lbs they use big scale and i do know what i`m talking about...i just sold 42,000 lbs and got $2.45lb!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumpster Dee View Post
    boy do they get free weight...I've never seen any yard employee telling people if they separate their metals they'd make more money !!!!
    not trying to brag at all, but my yard does. When i first started scrapping they would tell me what to throw off and when and give me the better price (i had 1,500 pounds of tin and they gave me #1 unppd price) Now i just tell them what i have and i throw it off. Ive only got tin price once, when a new guy was working.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones99 View Post
    Only if you are dealing in 15 and 20lb increments...If you deal in thousands of lbs they use big scale and i do know what i`m talking about...i just sold 42,000 lbs and got $2.45lb!
    Now THAT is a nice payday!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    vamped, I meant like people who come in with ferrous an non mixed (like whole appliances)....the yards make millions by NOT telling folks how to separate. Someone may tell you if you come regularly and make friends, though.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumpster Dee View Post
    I have been informed by my yard. When I was newer to scrapping, I'd have stuff mostly sorted (I thought) and the scale girl would rearrange some stuff or pull and weigh some seperate. She will often explain to others selling, how to sort.

Dumping whole appliances is different. If people don't know to break those down, they probably want to do a one-time drop to get rid of it. Any scrapper collecting appliances and not pulling off the better metal stuff probably just don't give a scrap metalscrap metalscrap metalscrap metal.

18. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. New Dealer looking for answers
      By StarkeyScrap in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 05-22-2011, 08:00 PM
    2. Maine - Scrap metal and junk battery dealer
      By Mick in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 08-03-2010, 02:36 PM

Thread Information