Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New truck

| Tools and Equipment
    easyrecycle started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts

New truck

Someone just sold us a 1996 diesel 4door 8foot bed dual tanks power windows/locks truck for $1,500...the motor is strong an no smoke/blow by...dont have a clue why they sold it so cheap. Just got it back to our shop and did another look over..there is nothing wrong with the truck that we can find!! I am shocked it was sold so cheap.

I will get some photos of it later

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Is it a GM/Chevy with a 6.5 motor with more than 100,000 miles? If so, I know why. I sold one just like that in 2006 for $2000 and was glad to see it go. It has to do with the Fuel Injection Pump.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    No its a ford powerstroke 7.3 with 300,000 miles. I think the motor was rebuilt at some time as its clean an running great.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    I had a 1984 chevy w/ the 6.2 no turbo, I had the pump redone and 4 injectors one time but that was all..... Sold the running motor for $500 w/about 400,000 miles on it...I would put a quart of tranny fluid in a 75gal fuel tank to treat the pump and injectors, and it kept them clean as a whistle...
    If you keep a good motor treatment in it it'll last, good snag on the truck, I'd bought it also...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sweet....Wish I could find things like that....Great find.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerScrapper View Post
    Sweet....Wish I could find things like that....Great find.
    I know right. This is my 2ed what the hell are you thinking buys. All most 2months ago I got a boat, trailer and 50HP motor for $270 cash. Working on rebuilding that for resale. The trailer alone would sell down here in Texas for $350 to $500 The motor is another $1,000 so I am trying to fit the boat under $1,100 as I can part it out an still be ahead of the game. So far I am 10hours into the boat and $10 worth of parts. About ready to put all new floors in then I have to rewire up the motor.

Anyway...the truck is good...going to set one tank with diesel the other with raw used oil.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Nice find, put it to work.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    is it a f-350?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    I've been looking for a truck, preferably diesel. People around here want too much for what it is. It's either too nice to use for scrapping, or total over priced junk.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Focker View Post
    is it a f-350?
    Yes its a f350..I have a $700 repair on the rear brake system and that looks like that will be all.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoScrapper View Post
    I've been looking for a truck, preferably diesel. People around here want too much for what it is. It's either too nice to use for scrapping, or total over priced junk.
    Your telling me! From the fuel savings we will have from running this truck to our other trucks (gas) We should be 26,600 up on savings per year.

We burn around 30 to 35gals a day 5 days a week. With the diesel we will start the truck up on every day diesel an once warmed up switch it over to filtered veg

Dont worry about the truck being to pretty. You are using it for work..the truck is not a show truck.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Nice buy on the truck. I'm getting ready to pick up a small boat trailer that needs wheels for $75. Plus the guy is giving me a topper for a long bed Chevy and a load of T.V.'s

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrecycle View Post
    No its a ford powerstroke 7.3 with 300,000 miles. I think the motor was rebuilt at some time as its clean an running great.
    Maintain the truck.....
    My 2000 ford E350 7.3 powerstroker has 545,000 kms and still going strong.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,609 Posts
    Funny this topic came up.. I have a beaut 2000 Silverado 1500.. but I think it is not too well equipped to handle a 16 ft car hauler and loaded with 3-4000 lbs, been hunting a 2500HD to potentially take its place.. not sure if I want a diesel or the 6.0L Gas.. Has to be a GMC or Chevy.. No Dodges or Fords for me. Starting my hunt.
    I'm so into scrapping.. When my Steel Toe Boots Wear out, I cut the Steel out of them and recycle the Toe!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sledge for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    sledge i just got a 2500hd with the 6.0L about a month ago. im loving this thing but i need to do the rear main seal and a couple other things to stop an oil leak

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog72 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 521 Posts
    I'll betcha you picked up a "perception" vehicle.

I've seen this before...usually in business vehicles. Someone says its a piece of cr*p and pretty soon everyone is down on the vehicle, even though it is just fine, just maybe a little older than they like. Everyone just "perceives" it as being a junker, so out it goes. I picked up a D6 Caterpillar tractor from a company under the same circumstances--a little too old, no heated cab, dirty, had a small fire alongside the engine from no one cleaning out the sawdust, etc. Got it for less than peanuts. Drove it onto the lowbed and been running it for two years now just fine. No repairs but for a new starter and change fluids.

Jon.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sawmilleng for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrecycle View Post
    auto or stick ... e40d or 4r100 .... make sure you flush the tranny and add cooler with a fan if its an auto .... have to keep them cool ...
    Last edited by scrapGAME; 05-30-2013 at 08:06 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog72 View Post
    sledge i just got a 2500hd with the 6.0L about a month ago. im loving this thing but i need to do the rear main seal and a couple other things to stop an oil leak
    Bigdog:
    You pull a trailer with it? I LOVE my 1500, Love Love Love.. But.. if it is straining it to do the work I need to do with it.. I'll kill it. It has the horsepower with the 5.3 V8, but putting my 1500+ lb car hauler with a 4000lb load- squats that thing like no other. I don't want to tear it up.. I'd rather move her down the road and use something more appropriate than kill this and have to spend and arm and a leg fixing it because I'm really overdoing what it was meant for. I spoke to a friend of mine who does fleet sales and has and always will deal in Chevys or GMC's he said "Oh well your truck is capable of pulling 9400lbs" I thought- shoot.. I put 9400 lbs on the back end of that, I'd be scraping like Mater "on the new road"

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    You want at least a 3/4 ton truck for any kind of serious towing. That's a scary feeling when the trailer is wagging the dog (so to speak) because the rear suspension is not designed for that. Everybody likes a half ton, maybe you can find someone to trade trucks with. Half for a 3/4. The 3/4 ton Chevy I used to pull campers had a hauling addition from the factory, and I used rear tires that were about 2" wider than normal. I could pull up to a 36' travel trailer with mine safely. (I used load leveler bars on my hitch also).
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

23. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    7.3L was the last good motor they put in a ford. I would of bought that truck ask day long,
    Last edited by cummins; 05-30-2013 at 10:24 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Mechanic: Thanks man for the post.. I may polish her up and "hang the shingle" out there so to speak. I found one guy who was selling a 2500, because he didn't need it to tow his camper anymore- but it was a 2500 Light Duty, others have said- "Don't get the Light Duty.. Just get the HD.. you'll be much happier towing with it!"

Now the big question is: The 2500 GMC/Chevys have the Duramax Diesels AND the Allison Tranny in them, the 6.0L don't have an Allison Tranny.. But I've heard the Duramax's are great- but you better have some serious bank if it breaks.. so I'm pretty uneducated on Diesel's.. never owned one.. so any info from you folks would help as well.

26. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. I don't have a truck :/
      By HeartSpasms in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 35
      Last Post: 08-21-2013, 10:29 PM
    2. my new truck (i wish)
      By Ecycle Atlanta in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 09-18-2012, 10:32 PM
    3. My Used/New truck
      By submarinepainter in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: 07-23-2012, 09:05 AM
    4. truck
      By Copper Head in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 03-18-2012, 08:41 AM
    5. I might be getting a truck of my own!
      By CanIScrapIt in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 01-18-2012, 03:38 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information