Got a job from the scrap yard.

| General - Let's talk business
    tjlock started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Got a job from the scrap yard.

So I went in Thursday to drop off a small load just to get it out of the way. Went in to collect pay after unloading and the guy doing the office job asks.."You go out and pick up scrap right?". Not knowing what he was meaning for sure I gave an unsure yes. He responds that he has a guy that was just in there a few days prior looking for someone to come to his property and grab the scrap iron out there.

After 3 days of trying to reach the guy, I finally caught him at home and set up a pick up time. Asked how much he thought he had and replied "I have enough. Should be atleast 1,000 pounds." Going out to pick it up in a few hours and use a free day from real job to take it in tomorrow.

Just shocked to have the scrap yard give me business. Guess they figured that I don't screw with them and always in there, might as well hook me up. Or maybe the decal advertisement is paying off once again.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sweet! Sometimes great things happen...Glad to hear it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Right on! Maybe this will turn into a regular thing.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tjlock View Post
    So I went in Thursday to drop off a small load just to get it out of the way. Went in to collect pay after unloading and the guy doing the office job asks.."You go out and pick up scrap right?". Not knowing what he was meaning for sure I gave an unsure yes. He responds that he has a guy that was just in there a few days prior looking for someone to come to his property and grab the scrap iron out there.

After 3 days of trying to reach the guy, I finally caught him at home and set up a pick up time. Asked how much he thought he had and replied "I have enough. Should be atleast 1,000 pounds." Going out to pick it up in a few hours and use a free day from real job to take it in tomorrow.

Just shocked to have the scrap yard give me business. Guess they figured that I don't screw with them and always in there, might as well hook me up. Or maybe the decal advertisement is paying off once again.
    I do this at times. The way I see it an most likely the same way they saw it. It could be a good amount of metal...they wanted it but there guys/trucks where tied up an they thought it would just be cheaper for you to go out there...get it and bring it in an still pay you the same amount. Sometimes that is cheaper than sending two guys a truck and have them take all day pick it up.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Good deal!

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    they wanted it but there guys/trucks where tied up an they thought it would just be cheaper for you to go out there...
    With our yard, All they have is big semi tractor trailers and roll off's so no competition....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Very cool! I've encountered the same thing at my yard, and have actually become good buddies with the owner. I'll go out and help him and his boys pick up a big load, and he'll throw me leads on pick-ups all the time. It's absolutely great to interact with the yard owner (assuming it's a smaller yard).

Oh and bring them pizza/beer/water/meat...or something they can consume one day, it's a good gesture on your end and little favors like that can pay off in very big ways!

tjlock started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Got everything picked up Sunday and called in sick Monday to run it in. The total that I got off the lead was just over 1,600 pounds. The guy that gave me the info came out and asked if I called the guy yet. Told him yes and that the load there was from him.

Said he wanted to send somebody out there with a decent vehicle and good with people. I happened to be the one he chose and he said that he will let me know when he gets another call like that. I left him with a few of our business cards.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tjlock for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Nice work.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

Thanks
    The yard I work for charges 129 HR for me to do the same thing. I load,cut up oversize and call in a container service. Seems to me that you should have got more than the scrap for your trouble

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    That was alright - good for you.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    Hmburner...he got the lead for FREE and didnt even have to pay a referral fee...he doesnt WORK for the yard so no he should not get anything extra. Granted as his weight for the year increases he should get higher tier pricing...and yes I would ask for it.

In FACT, he should find out what the referrer likes and buy it...say outback gift cert or a bottle of his favorite. That is the way you keep that business. And being the top of the list the guy calls when they get a call like that...money in the bank.

Good job there TJ...get the hookup like that wherever you can and ask for top tier pricing because you are the MAN and gets it done...

14. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Buy at a scrap yard, sell at a Recycling yard?
      By ScraperRick in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 09-14-2012, 07:27 PM
    2. A bank job! E-scrap and more
      By msearl3244 in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 06-20-2012, 12:59 PM
    3. New Job at a scrap yard
      By WeWillPrevail in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 11-15-2011, 05:28 PM
    4. ?'s about trying to subcontract a scrap job from a scrap company at their job site
      By jtscrapper in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 06-10-2011, 06:27 AM
    5. Got a job in a scrap yard
      By ArgonWelding in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Thread Information