What Business am I Really In?

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    Kris Kringle
    Kris Kringle started this thread.

What Business am I Really In?

This may seem like a Stupid Post I mean I am here on the scrap metal forum posting this lolol. I should be in the Scrap Metal Business but lately I feel like I am in a Business where If I go out and say find something in the Scrap I am buying that I can fix up for a few bucks and sell it for more then scrap price thats the Business I am in On that Particular day. If I go out to Say clean a persons Lot and Take it to the Landfill I am on that particular Day a Garbage Man. If I pick up a Vehicle for Scrap and it only needs some minor work to get it running right so I can sell it then that Day I am a Mechanic, Salesman.

So the List is
    1. Scrapper
    2. Repairer
    3. Garbage Man
    4. Sales Person

I am sure everyone in this Business can add more to the List Lots More

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    I dont tend to call my sell a "scrapper" but just as you stated in your post. I'm a business man, I do what I feel would make the most money with low costs. I over look my P&L's and keep them in the green.

Being a scrapper (sorry if I offend someone) but if you are just a scrapper and you pick up and drop off with little to no thought in what you just picked up or can plan out what it is worth...how to see it...how to make the most of your time..yous a dumb and lazy person. You would be better off working for someone if your only going to be "robot". To me what is what a scrapper is..if you are doing more than that...then your mind never stops thinking and you will spend countless hours trying to find the info you need. That to me is a business man!

Again sorry if I have offended someone with this post.

3. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by easyrecycle:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    No matter how you look at it, you are in the "Recycling" business. You are taking something that some one discarded for its original purpose and gave or sold it to you. Then you find a use for it whether repairing, finding a different use or selling to a yard to be recycled.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mick:

Kris Kringle
    Well Said Easyrecycle as far as offending someone they can get over it if they are in this business and get Offended easily this is not the Business for them anyway

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Kringle for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    I'm with you Kris Kringle,I look for resale value first and often times it is something that can be fixed or just flipped to someone that needs it at a good price. I would have to say that this kind of recycling makes much more of an impact then the people putting out there wine bottles and milk jugs every other week just so they can feel good about being nice to the earth.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

9. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by KzScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    KZBell, all household recycling does is make the waste collection company money. They're already sorting trash for recyclables. By cleaning it, and putting in that 'free' container it just cuts out a step in the process for them.

11. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by dherik:

Kris Kringle
    you guys are awesome I am glad you are here.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I always thought the term "scrapper" was a bit derogatory to the people participating in this industry. I’ve always looked at it and called myself a "commodities recycler". In my travels, people hear "scrapper" and think "dirtbag". Right or wrong that's what I have seen over the years.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I always thought the term "scrapper" was a bit derogatory to the people participating in this industry. I’ve always looked at it and called myself a "commodities recycler". In my travels, people hear "scrapper" and think "dirtbag". Right or wrong that's what I have seen over the years.
    I guess for me it all depends on who I'm marketing myself too. If I'm in the Principle building trying to convince the IT guy he should pay me to haul off his tape server, I'm a recycler. If I'm in someones backyard who had a PC and I notice a nice pile of metal behind their shed I'm a scrapper.

Scrappers do it for free or pay, recyclers get paid to do it. Not always the case but that's how it's worked for me.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dherik for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dherik View Post
    I guess for me it all depends on who I'm marketing myself too. If I'm in the Principle building trying to convince the IT guy he should pay me to haul off his tape server, I'm a recycler. If I'm in someones backyard who had a PC and I notice a nice pile of metal behind their shed I'm a scrapper.

Scrappers do it for free or pay, recyclers get paid to do it. Not always the case but that's how it's worked for me.
    But, in the end, both are recycling the same items for ''pay.'' Both are recycling items no matter how they came upon them. I understand what you're saying I just don't agree with the analogy. Victor makes a good point - if I were to go to the local golf course for instance, and ask them if they had any metal laying around and could I have it to scrap they would look at me like I'm a 'dirtbag' and wonder why they should even entertain the idea. But if I went to them in dress clothes and proposed a deal to them to recycle their metal they would probably listen to me even though the end result is the same - the items are being taken away to be recycled and each party gets a share. I am either going to be looked at like I'm a bum even though a deal would still have to be made (and they probably wouldn't even listen that long to get to that part) or a smart business person who they might make a deal with all based on the approach. Because in the end what does it matter when the IT guy gets paid as long as he gets paid? If the guy with the PC has that pile of metal and doesn't care if you take it you got lucky and he just wants it out of there, you are still recycling that metal even though he gave it to you out of the goodness of his heart.

Re-cycler is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It's a full time job just being me............
    ;?)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    newattitude...I dig it when I see the light bulb light up over someone's head, and you have several shining up there.

19. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Replies: 39
      Last Post: 07-17-2016, 07:21 PM
    2. business
      By remington in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 10-22-2012, 08:57 AM
    3. New to the business.
      By Stormin in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 07-25-2012, 02:59 AM
    4. New to the business