Scrap computer box value.

| Computer Recycling
    SkupSzarow started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Scrap computer box value.

Hi,

Imagine you come to a customer who offers you complete computer tower. There are RAMS, CPU, HardDrive, CDs, DVDs, graphic card, mainboard, soundcard, Powersupply, steel box etc.
    You know prices per/kg.
    So how do you assume its worth? Do you know how much RAMS or CDs weight? If no, What criteria do you accept? What weight and price you assume?

So in otherwords - are you able to say whole scrap computer tower worth, only just by looking at it?
    What criteria do you accept?vWhat criteria do you accept?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    The short answer is as always its worth what it is to you.

The longer answer is you have learn more to figure it out.

I generally don't pay for towers. I do sell some of the parts from them depending on value and If I can test them. Can you sell the whole towers or parts for re-use. What are you going to get paid for scrap motherboards? What are going to get paid for scrap power supplies.

I assume you don't currently have the answer to these questions so I suggest you pay little or nothing for computers until you do know.

You do need to get some computers to learn on. I suggest you get a thumb drive and put a Linux operating system on it, I use Ubuntu. Use the thumb drive to operate the computer and test the various parts.

Good luck and keep trying, 73, Mike
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

3. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by miked:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I pay $2.00 U.S. per tower when I buy them. That price does okay for me, although free is always better.
    Copper, brass, and Leather. 3 of my favorite things.

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by HipoGear:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm with hipo, I'll pay 2$ for a tower at the most. I have 2 landfills by me. There's a guy that works the scale house. And a guy that watches the boxes in front so the pickup trucks don't have to go where the big trucks go. When I first started scrapping e waste, I made excuses to go to these landfills I would find trash that people were willing to pay me to haul off for them, each time taking time to talk to each of the guys. Found out one liked to drink and one liked cigars. I have an uncle who lives in Honduras I can get very nice cigars from him very cheap, and he also sends me some of the cognac they age the cigars with. A lil horse trading goes a long way. I go by both once a week sometimes just one or two towers. Sometimes pallets. The most I ever got in one week was 38 towers, 20 keyboards, a pallet of satellite receivers. And 2 big office printers. I now get a care package from Honduras every 2 weeks( thank you uncle santino). Now when I go on weekends they will let me go to the white goods section and pull silver contacts and electrical cords. I'm trying for the Ac units but they say I won't be able to get those, but I'm gonna keep wearing them down.

7. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by manjelle:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It's always good to be friendly with your local landfill guy. I have a good relationship with mine and the transfer station and he pulls all the computers, laptops and video games aside for me. sometimes 10 sometimes none. he also gives me plenty of cell phones. In return I pass him a $20 here and there. One time he got me such a large load he got $100
    from me. Keep lubricating the machine ...
    Remember... wherever you go... there you are

9. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Computer scrap
      By manjelle in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 06-10-2016, 10:52 AM
    2. Computer scrap API key
      By drPC in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 09-13-2012, 07:56 PM

Thread Information