Prices across the board.

| Off Topic Discussions
    Deathhit02 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Prices across the board.

I've been scraping sense I started racing back in the early 80's. Over the past couple years I've stepped up my game. I buy large loads of electronics and non f metals.. Im shocked at the prices that dealers get. On most like copper, brass, hard bass, 316 stainless,wire ect. We're talking 25€ to as high as dollar more per pound difference. The one that really made me take a step back was high end boards and ram, processors, especially high end telecom boards. So like I said I buy large amounts of equipment to process to make$$$ . Very long story short I met some buyers of escrap. Went out to dinner. Decided to sell some ram I've been hoarding. 100 pounds 1 once as a test. After that I did 105 pounds high end telecom. Was shredded and processed. I got a check for 1974.68 for the ram and 852.06 for telecom. The shocking thing was when he wanted to buy more from me cuz he knows I have a large hoard. We met again and said he might be able to pay more . So I asked strait up what was the amount of gold he got out of the ram and boards. Oh it varies . Give me an idea. Well I shouldn't it not good to let people behind the curtain. So said it was good to talk I'll be in touch. Hold on are gonna sell more ram ect. I said at what price. He said look on averge recovery on ram is around two ounces for every hundred pounds. WoW 😳 that means I should be paid around 20 pound. There's more to it. But it goes to show why scrapping and scrap gets a bad name . Oh I was told that's how scrap is. You should be used to by know.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Every person in the chain does it to make a profit. From what I have read, dealing directly with refiners can be risky. Perhaps that is a myth being told to keep the small time peddlers away? I don't know.

But why should I be upset that the larger processors get more for scrap than I do? They work in volumes that I could never hope to achieve. Plus, having a warehouse and forklift to deal with that volume is an expense that is also out of reach.
    Copper, brass, and Leather. 3 of my favorite things.

3. The Following 6 Users say Thank You for This Post by HipoGear:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I had a post, but then..realized Hipo said it far better.

So therefore you get..."I agree with Hipo". HA!

Sirscrapalot - Finds it really difficult to typo Hipo with out two p's. #sandbarproblems #struggleisreal

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Looks to me that he paid you $19.74 per pound for ram. I would love to have this guys info to sell my scrap ram too.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    I didn't figure 100 pounds of ram was actually worth sending to refinery...........I figured minimum would be well over 1000lbs

Deathhit02 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sir you missed the point. I was paid them prices as a premium price and know a premium seller. The point is I was getting the shaft by scrap yards for years. Not just computer boards . Copper six months ago 800 lbs got me 205.00 lb two weeks ago 255.00 lb now Im a dealer I don't get f""" as hard !

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhit02 View Post
    Sir you missed the point. I was paid them prices as a premium price and know a premium seller. The point is I was getting the shaft by scrap yards for years. Not just computer boards . Copper six months ago 800 lbs got me 205.00 lb two weeks ago 255.00 lb now Im a dealer I don't get f""" as hard !
    i get the point do you care to share your buyer with the rest of us lowly scrap peddlers

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    also if you got $2.55lb for copper you did quite well..........That is .01 cent less than spot

Kitco - Spot Copper Historical Charts and Graphs - Copper charts - Industrial metals

11. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by mikeinreco:

12. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. New Jersey - Double Sided High Yield Finger Board Scrap Gold Recovery 5 lb lot All Same Board
      By Holistic in forum SMF Member Listings
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 06-19-2014, 12:59 PM
    2. this thread has pictures - Board ID
      By Mowin4cash in forum E-Waste Grading and Identification
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 11-25-2013, 08:31 AM
    3. new board to me
      By Swich in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 10-25-2013, 07:25 PM
    4. Replies: 5