satellite dish

| Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
    gstod started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

satellite dish

My uncle has this big satellite dish he doesnt want anymore. He offered it to me if i can take it down without damage to the house or powerlines. How should i go about scrapping it? What type of metal would you say the dish is made of?

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    If that is a pic of the actual dish, those are an aluminum mesh fastened to "aircraft" aluminum ribs. Usually the mesh is fastened with hex head screws or alum. pop rivets. The motors were steel/alum, some had stainless shafts(it's sticking out back). The pipe it's sitting on is probably a 6" double or triple wall steel. The electronic LNA is sitting behind the round cover out front. it is usually cast alum. with a small circuit board and some gold plating inside. That's either an 8 or 10 footer. Hope this helps some,,
    Used to install them back around the '80's.
    To add to my post a little more; the cables going into the house will be good copper in the coaxes and either a 6 or 8 wire cable going to the motor.
    Last edited by Mechanic688; 05-25-2011 at 02:56 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks alot for the info. Any advice about getting it down safely? Would it be better to fell it like a tree with i guide line so it doesn't hit the house, or take it apart on a ladder?

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    The company that put it up there probably put it up with a gin pole, that's a crane looking thing that fastens to the upper pipe. You'll notice from my other post that the pipe is 6" and either double wall or triple wall. Double wall is 1/2" thick and triple wall is about 5/8 to 3/4" thick. The installer might have used a boom-tree trimmer truck if he did a lot of those, as those 6" pipes are very, very heavy. They will get away from you and go crashing to the ground if you try to lower it. I'd say hire an out of work tree trimmer to take it down for you, it would be a lot safer that way. Your looking at roughly 20 to 25 lbs per foot on that pipe, and one or two people will not be able to handle it. My company only put one up there in the air and we refused to do any more; it was just too dangerous for us!!
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/st...hts-d_774.html
    Last edited by Mechanic688; 05-29-2011 at 10:50 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks again I think maybe ill let it sit there for a while more maybe it'll come down in a storm and do all the hard work for me

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Hard to tell from the picture, but do you have a clear shot away from the house? If so, tie off a rope up top, have several guys on the rope and someone to cut the base and topple it on over.

Good luck and be careful.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    have several guys on the rope and someone to cut the base and topple it on over.
    Better have it tied off to a truck bumper and use the truck to ease it down, about the only safe way. We used 10 ft. pipes on the standard dishes and they weighed about 75-100lb and they were not double walled.
    Last edited by Mechanic688; 05-30-2011 at 11:21 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the advice i called my uncle and cousin up yesterday and we dropped it pretty easy. Tied a 100ft rope off at the top and had them keep tension on it while i cut the base. I left about an inch and a half of the pipe to keep it as a hinge so the end didnt kick out as it fell. Now i just need to get some new blades for the sawzall to cut up the pole any recomendations?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gstod View Post
    ... Now i just need to get some new blades for the sawzall to cut up the pole any recomendations?
    Lenox. Various TPI, Those general use blades are ok, but just - general.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Demolition blades work good cutting thru metal pipes,,

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    I used the thinner metal cut-off wheels on a 4 1/2in grinder to cut some heavy gauge fence post this weekend and they went thru pretty quick. Have to be careful not to flex the disc tho or it will break.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks again everyone for the help. Got it broken down and loaded up today. Heres a pic of it loaded up in the truck. It broke down a lot smaller then i thought it would.

14. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Dish Network Satellite LNBF
      By TMoney in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 01-20-2013, 05:59 AM
    2. Pick up a dish washer and business cards
      By jackshmuc in forum Scrap Metal Videos
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 11-12-2012, 09:38 PM
    3. Scrap a satellite?
      By toula in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 11