another first...

| Off Topic Discussions
    DakotaRog started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 830 Posts

another first...

I spent a beautiful sunny weekend in the other part of South Dakota, seemingly endless spaces with few people, showing a couple of young guys the ways of antelope hunting. Neither dad ended up getting one and my T clearly has shown that he can out shoot his old man but that's ok. My couple of misses yesterday morning just saves me work today! Watching a badger work a prairie dog town was as much fun for me than knocking over a doe speed goat...

P.S. The enthusiasm needed to spend 30-45 minutes crawling down a fence line to take a 400 yard shot certainly is more intense (and easier) for a 16-year old than a mid-50s year tubby old man...

2. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by DakotaRog:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Nice...I need to get back out and go hunting.
    My company name was Easy Recycle but has since been closed
    My Name Stephan Harz
    My YouTube page

4. The Following User Says Thank You to easyrecycle for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 7,220 Times in 2,256 Posts
    I agree watching a badger work a prairie dog town, an eagle diving for a prairie dog, or taking long shots at them is a hoot. But the best entertainment I ever had was watching my son race me on stalk and crawl over a cactus patch. No, he and the doctor took turns pulling them out. Life in the Buffalo Commons is a hoot teaching the green horns.
    Give back more to this world than we take.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Patriot76 for This Post:

DakotaRog started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 830 Posts
    P76- I don't crawl as much as I used to after p. goats. Have to be some nice black going on to do that. In the day, I used to wear plastic padded knee pads and volleyball elbow pads. Kept some of the prickly pear (we have little low ones in w. SD) spines out, mostly. I had them along last weekend but never pit them on...

No buffalo last weekend, just lots and lots of grazing cattle. Bison will never be competitive with beef because of the price difference per pound and a lot of people want that beef fat flavor in their meat. I'll eat bison once and a while for a treat but its overrated at its usual price.

Thread Information