you can have them all....

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    DakotaRog started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 830 Posts

you can have them all....

Someone wants a mobile home and 2 garages removed from a corner in a fast-growing part of Sioux Falls. Bunch of cheap developers trying to have someone do it for "free". I suspect that a quarter section of land in this area (160 acres) is going for several million $$ a piece if it was even available for purchase. Yet these guys don't want to pay a company with a large front end loader and a couple of dump trucks a few thousand to tear these down and haul them away to the landfill or someone's (the garages at least) big bonfire pile. I wonder if they'll get any takers...?? Knowing South Dakotans or northwest Iowans, probably yes.

https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/zip/5580223729.html

https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/zip/5580224077.html

https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/zip/5580224616.html

2. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by DakotaRog:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm north east if Toronto and see kijiji ads like this ever week in the free section. Sheds to full size garages. The best are the free scraps ads. Come and get it. Shows a pic of the fence and posts still in the ground or the TV tower still standing attached to the house. Lol not worth the Labour. I always get " I'm not dumb I know how much scraps worth" from costumers lol yep.... hard to stay professional sometimes when they talk down to ya

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,095 Posts
    Seems to be in good condition, if it were me i would find a house mover willing to remove this to his storage lot for a consignment sale.

Houses for Sale & Houses Under $100,000 in Vancouver BC Canada

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by alloy2:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yep, someone might just do that although mobile home placement in my metro is sort of a dying thing. I don't think there's a "trailer park" newer than 25 years old in Sioux Falls and several have been removed during the past decade. In my bedroom town, and several other suburbs I know of, I can't think of a mobile home park. Now, my bedroom town has a good number of subsidized apartment complexes because of a USDA program dealing with low cost "rural" housing. Sioux Falls has a long waiting list for subsidized housing units in the city so people move 5-10 miles away into "rural" suburb cities and get cheap apartments. Not that a person has have lower income to live in a mobile home but many people do because it tends to be less costly housing. If it gets moved, if will probably end up on a rural lot somewhere...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DakotaRog for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    A good home to put in your backyard for an aging parent to live in.

9. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by nutpie:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nutpie View Post
    my Mom just said hell no lol
    Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes;
    God bless little children while they're still too young to hate

11. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by submarinepainter:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nutpie View Post
    Most municipality's will allow a secondary residence for compassion reasons for example ageing parents of a handicapped child. A person wishing to place such a residence on the grounds of compassion maybe required to make a security deposit to assure the residence is removed when it is no longer required.

A friend in BC after his mother in law passed decided to forfeit his security deposit in favour of keeping the second residence as a rental.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to alloy2 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    The whole putting your parents in a trailer thing...

Lots of places are turning/building trailer parks for senior citizens. You see this a lot out in Arizona. Phoenix and Tucson both have several communities for seniors only. 55+ trailer parks is how they refer to them. Only old folks, no grandkids, adult kids, etc. If your not 55..you can't live there. Some even limit the amount of time one can have people under 55 visit for i.e. a week, 2 weeks, etc.

We have three or four here on my sandbar. Oddly enough 2 of them are rather expensive to live in. The other is a year round local one an not your typical stereotypical trailer park. No meth labs, no rednecks beating their wives, no wives beating their redneck husbands, no welfare, etc etc. Nice, maintained trailer homes.

Being from the DC area, most of the trailer parks I've seen fall in the meth lab/redneck category. More an more tho I'm seeing those changed into the above or cleaned up an the troublemakers moved on. YMMV.

An since we're talking about trailers(kind of) I have to post it...

Sirscrapalot - It's a little piece of paradise way out here in the woods
    There's always something going on down in the trailerhood - Toby Keith, Trailerhood

15. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    like me some Toby Keith Mike
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

17. The Following User Says Thank You to miked for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    See..I knew you were good people Mike.

Sirscrapalot - **** the dixie chicks! - Toby Keith, circa 2003.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirscrapalot for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Are you on Ocracoke Sirscrapalot? I'm headed there at the end of the month for some family time and some fishing. And probably some aggressive beer consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirscrapalot View Post
    See..I knew you were good people Mike.

Sirscrapalot - **** the dixie chicks! - Toby Keith, circa 2003.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dsroten for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Nope, I'm up on the North end. The main area if you will, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, etc. Ocracoke is about an hour south of me. An a 30 minute ferry ride. Launches from Hatteras. Some folks come in via Mann's Harbor..if so, I'm sorry. It's a long ferry ride. Heh.

While I may not be there, I can be. LOL. My cooler does travel after all. Feel free to drop me a PM if you like, an we can see if we can arrange giving you hand in that beer consumption.

Good time to visit to down there. Water should be nice an warm, an the sun shining away.

For those unaware...Ocracoke is part of my sandbar. It's considered a part of the OBX even tho it's not attached. It's also where Blackbeard died. Also some really ghost stories down around there. I got a buddy who runs ghost tours up here by me, and he does some down there at certain times of the years. Something about shipwrecked sailors an lights.

It's also beautiful. Lots of fishing, an the warmest water around my sandbar most of the time. Also some wild horses down that way, not as many as up in Corrolla but some!

Perfect place for relaxation an to get away from it all. Some good bars to. I suggest you visit Howard's Pub. Good beer an food. Sister in law comes down once a year to get their crab dip if your into that. An a really good water side bar I can't remember the name of but they make some really good drinks.

Sorry for the travel ad. I'm proud of where I live, if ya'll didn't know that yet.

Sirscrapalot - Life on a sandbar.

23. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaRog View Post
    Yep, someone might just do that although mobile home placement in my metro is sort of a dying thing. I don't think there's a "trailer park" newer than 25 years old in Sioux Falls and several have been removed during the past decade. In my bedroom town, and several other suburbs I know of, I can't think of a mobile home park. Now, my bedroom town has a good number of subsidized apartment complexes because of a USDA program dealing with low cost "rural" housing. Sioux Falls has a long waiting list for subsidized housing units in the city so people move 5-10 miles away into "rural" suburb cities and get cheap apartments. Not that a person has have lower income to live in a mobile home but many people do because it tends to be less costly housing. If it gets moved, if will probably end up on a rural lot somewhere...
    That one is an interesting possibility. There are trailers and then there are manufactured homes. (Two different things.) That one is a bit old, but it looks like it was delivered to the site in two pieces. If you had a total project budget of 25 k you could probably relocate it to another property.

Imagine a young family just starting out. They could have their own place with a mortgage that's less than a lot of car loans. They could own it free & clear in five to ten years.

I've seen this before. The lobstermen around here are pretty savvy money wise. They'll start off with something pretty basic & low cost when they're young. They manage carefully and avoid debt when they can. By the time they're in their mid fifties they have a net worth in the millions.

Nowadays, between the 250 k./30 yr mortgages, auto loans, student loans, and credit card debt many people work their whole lives with little or nothing to show for it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrappah for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirscrapalot View Post

For those unaware...Ocracoke is part of my sandbar. It's considered a part of the OBX even tho it's not attached. It's also where Blackbeard died. Also some really ghost stories down around there. I got a buddy who runs ghost tours up here by me, and he does some down there at certain times of the years. Something about shipwrecked sailors an lights.

Sorry for the travel ad. I'm proud of where I live, if ya'll didn't know that yet.

Sirscrapalot - Life on a sandbar.
    It's a good life down there. Nice climate and one of the most prosperous business communities in the country. My eldest is in Horry county and he's doing really well with his business.

It's a weird thing about those lights. He's seen some things that aren't so easily explained in the Myrtle Beach area. Lots of other witnesses. You know .... you're going down the highway at night and there are cars pulling over left and right to get a better look at what's going on up in the sky ?

I don't really have an opinion on it myself......

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrappah for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    @Scrappah I dig what your saying on the lights. lol. When we went on the tour, I can tell you it was interesting the story behind. My post above I didn't do it justice. Heh. Lot better then the way I wrote it. We have lots of those kind of tales here as you'd imagine, especially as back in the day that's how they made a living, wrecking ships an collecting the debris. They supplemented it with fishing, crabbing, etc.

I also get what your saying about the lobstermen. Here it's the same, just fish an crabs an not lobster.

I was actually surprised to find out a lot of how they got by way back when here post-ship wrecking, was hunting, skinning, combined with fishing, crabbing, bird hunting, etc.

So much to do so little time.

When ya come visit your boy you'll have to swing over this way, my invite still stands.

Sirscrapalot - Home is where you park it. - Ha! A kind of on topic quote..go figure.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirscrapalot for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    That sounds awfully tempting.

We've had a couple nice days but it really hasn't warmed up yet. It wasn't a particularly hard winter but it seems like spring is in no hurry to arrive this year.

It would be really nice to sit on the beach down where you are and toss back a couple of cold ones. Warm sunny days and gentle breezes .... yeah, that's the good life.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrappah for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    We have a couple sayings...

No shoes, no shirt, no problem.

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.

The beach is that way.

We're on sandbar time, not mainland time.

Sirscrapalot - more sayings then you shake a stick at.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Just stay out of the way of those Hurricane thingys...!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I saw this on the "free" stuff of my local Criagslist today. Seems that the poster has had a rough time with some CL's items. I'm sure the dryers aren't any that silverock fixed up ()!!!

Three dryers, one washer hide this posting
    condition: salvage

Have 3 dryers. One does not work at all. Bought off Craigslist for $50. Never did work. Two dryers the fluff but don't dry. One bought off Craigslist for $70 3 days ago. One washer that has to be started with a screwdriver that works but is in really poor shape. want all four out of my basement asap. Sick of dealing with them. Would like them all to go at once. Bring help as they are in a basement.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to DakotaRog for This Post:

Thread Information