Craigslist post

What do you guys think? Any takers?

https://maine.craigslist.org/zip/5554620616.html

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Looks like aluminum siding. Go for it! LOL

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Put a bid in that they pay you. It should be the high bid.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    looks like asbestos and fines to me...

that's alot like the deals down here.

worst is there is always someone trying to trade their $200 car (usually a cavalier or neon w/fart can) for a $7000 EXTENDED cab truck or jeep.

here is a good one from yesturday, enjoy the ha ha

https://morgantown.craigslist.org/cto/5555033587.html

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbl View Post
    looks like asbestos and fines to me...

that's alot like the deals down here.

worst is there is always someone trying to trade their $200 car (usually a cavalier or neon w/fart can) for a $7000 EXTENDED cab truck or jeep.

here is a good one from yesturday, enjoy the ha ha

https://morgantown.craigslist.org/cto/5555033587.html
    It's already been deleted by the author, must have been a pretty good deal.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 676 Posts
    Ummm ... i don't know ...If you didn't have anything else going on and were looking for an opportunity ?

Sounds like he's got some unrealistic expectations. He might be under time pressure to have the building removed. The devil is in the details. If he's the typical BSD ( *ahem* Big Swinging Richard ) with an overblown ego and a fat bank account you might be able to finesse at deal.

It's not likely he will find someone willing to do it for free.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HipoGear View Post
    Looks like aluminum siding. Go for it! LOL
    Nope, that's asbestos tile. I should know, the house I'm in now has it all over the outside. Then again, this house was built in the 40s so...

The Foxy E-Scrapper
    Buy/Sell Thread: http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/scrap...ents-more.html

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Nah ...not likely asbestos. Been in the building trades here in Maine for over 30 years. Would have to look at it up close but i'm fairly sure it's Masonite siding. Given the lengths of the boards,the aluminum clips between the boards, and the spacing between the courses, it was probably done pre 1980.

Here's the skinny on Masonite.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...=1006032604702

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrappah for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by logansryche View Post
    Nope, that's asbestos tile. I should know, the house I'm in now has it all over the outside. Then again, this house was built in the 40s so...
    Agreed this is asbestos siding, the owner is trying to shurk his responsibility onto some unsuspecting salvage person the red flag in the craigslist add is "necessary permits".

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If it is asbestos siding it would be the rare exception. I've only known of one house in Maine that had asbestos tile and it looked nothing like what's in the picture.

Biddeford is in Southern Maine. It's more like the big city. Most likely, all construction right off Main St is pretty tightly regulated by the city / town government. I was thinking that the utilities like water,sewer,electric, and maybe even city gas would have to be disconnected before you could even think about demolishing the building.

All around .... a complicated PITA when you're working in a congested area. Expensive too !

Best thing would be to talk with the code enforcement officer and see what issues you would be dealing with before jumping in.

LOL .... Nutpie .... could you take a run down and check out the siding for us ?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Any asbestos siding I have seen is shingles. Definitely not shingles. I did not consider hardboard masonite, I'm sure you are right Scrappah.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HipoGear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,132 Posts
    Demo for free, NFW! Any demo of a structure (residential or commercial) that has building materiel installed 1980 or before, one should know ACM (Asbestos Containing Materiel) can and/or probably will be present. Here a contractor must work under PACM (Presumed Asbestos Containing Materiel) when dealing with all surfacing materiel and all thermal system insulation (TSI) installed before 1980. Here in Cal. any demolition or renovation greater than 100 sq. ft. by anyone other than immediate home owner must have a asbestos survey report. The survey has to be done by a Certified Asbestos Consultant. Additionally the EPA must be notified if asbestos is present before any work begins.

Now I know this is about a possible demo in the state of Maine, and every state will have different requirements in dealing with asbestos. The risk are the same to everyone, exposure to asbestos is just plain unhealthy! Also there are still products with asbestos in it, 1980 was not the end of products containing asbestos. Asbestos was, has and/or is used in fireproofing materials, was added to building materials to add strength, materials such as concrete, asphalt, piping, siding, floor tiles, wall board, acoustic plaster, insulation, wall paper, ceiling and wall spray applications, joint compounds, and adhesives (just about everything). Common sense goes a long way when dealing with anything that's hazardous to yours and others health. Why risk your health for "free" and if you are going to be dealing with asbestos containing materials, a minimum safety precaution would be a good respirator (NIOSH p100 HEPA filter).

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HipoGear View Post
    Any asbestos siding I have seen is shingles. Definitely not shingles. I did not consider hardboard masonite, I'm sure you are right Scrappah.
    Sigh .... i hate to admit it but i may have been wrong. I researched it for a couple of hours this morning and then came up with a better photo ( high res. ) of the building. It is some kind of cement siding. It might or might not have asbestos fibers. You would have to send out a sample to the lab to know for sure.

Where it's a two family home our state law says that you would have to call in an asbestos abatement company to remove it.

Can't imagine what it would cost to demolish the building now. It would be a lot. Definitely not a freebie.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappah View Post
    Sigh .... i hate to admit it but i may have been wrong. I researched it for a couple of hours this morning and then came up with a better photo ( high res. ) of the building. It is some kind of cement siding. It might or might not have asbestos fibers. You would have to send out a sample to the lab to know for sure.

Where it's a two family home our state law says that you would have to call in an asbestos abatement company to remove it.

Can't imagine what it would cost to demolish the building now. It would be a lot. Definitely not a freebie.
    If it's that grooved cement siding then I doubt it has asbestos in it, but rather fiberglass. It looked like the siding I have here on the house. In which case pipes are probably lead and the list goes on of houses built in the 40s.

nutpie started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappah View Post
    If it is asbestos siding it would be the rare exception. I've only known of one house in Maine that had asbestos tile and it looked nothing like what's in the picture.

Biddeford is in Southern Maine. It's more like the big city. Most likely, all construction right off Main St is pretty tightly regulated by the city / town government. I was thinking that the utilities like water,sewer,electric, and maybe even city gas would have to be disconnected before you could even think about demolishing the building.

All around .... a complicated PITA when you're working in a congested area. Expensive too !

Best thing would be to talk with the code enforcement officer and see what issues you would be dealing with before jumping in.

LOL .... Nutpie .... could you take a run down and check out the siding for us ?
    Ha Ha. No way I'm going to Biddeford for a sample. You gotta give me a better reason to go there. I definitely would not demo this house for free. Asbestos or not, I still have to pay my helpers and that would eat any profits, along with countless other costs. And yes the houses are packed together, so no chains and excavators. If the kitchens were full with scrap appliances I would give a high estimate for scrap value at $2500. And that is a very optimistic estimate. But I think I see vinyl (sp?) windows.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You know what they say ... vinyl is final.

I was looking up at the soffit and fascia. It looks like something that a company that specializes in vinyl siding would have done. At the same time ... they might have done vinyl window inserts. You would have to look at them up close to be able to tell for sure.

Yet another reason for Nutpie to make a run to Biddeford ?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I wish you all would copy and paste the title and body of the CL post Into the Scrap metal forum posting on here because they tend to be deleted by the time I get to them.some post seem to be deleted installly

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 961 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigburtchino View Post
    Demo for free, NFW! Any demo of a structure (residential or commercial) that has building materiel installed 1980 or before, one should know ACM (Asbestos Containing Materiel) can and/or probably will be present. Here a contractor must work under PACM (Presumed Asbestos Containing Materiel) when dealing with all surfacing materiel and all thermal system insulation (TSI) installed before 1980. Here in Cal. any demolition or renovation greater than 100 sq. ft. by anyone other than immediate home owner must have a asbestos survey report. The survey has to be done by a Certified Asbestos Consultant. Additionally the EPA must be notified if asbestos is present before any work begins.

Now I know this is about a possible demo in the state of Maine, and every state will have different requirements in dealing with asbestos. The risk are the same to everyone, exposure to asbestos is just plain unhealthy! Also there are still products with asbestos in it, 1980 was not the end of products containing asbestos. Asbestos was, has and/or is used in fireproofing materials, was added to building materials to add strength, materials such as concrete, asphalt, piping, siding, floor tiles, wall board, acoustic plaster, insulation, wall paper, ceiling and wall spray applications, joint compounds, and adhesives (just about everything). Common sense goes a long way when dealing with anything that's hazardous to yours and others health. Why risk your health for "free" and if you are going to be dealing with asbestos containing materials, a minimum safety precaution would be a good respirator (NIOSH p100 HEPA filter).
    Don't forget about lead. If they catch you demo material with lead, you will be in heap big trouble.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to t00nces2 for This Post:

22. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Saw this on craigslist
      By TheDude80 in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 03-25-2016, 05:50 AM
    2. Craigslist ads
      By WMSTR in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 06-11-2013, 11:02 AM
    3. Craigslist Ad
      By TheDude80 in forum Off Topic Discussions