what would stainless steel flatware go under

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    frankieg079 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

what would stainless steel flatware go under

I have box full of stainless steel forks. Knives. Spoons. What would that go under. 304 or 316, also have stainless steel keg taps.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Unless it is high end stainless flatware, it will go in with shred. Check it with a magnet, but 99% of that stuff is crappy magnetic stainless. Not sure on the taps, but if they are in good condition you may get more selling them to someone who can use them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AuburnEwaste for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Some yards have a magnetic stainless category, but from my personal experience it's not common. Had a bunch of silverware when I first started. Sorted out all of it visually. If it was marked stainless, it went together. Took it to the yard and when they hit it with the magnet, they said sorry, steel pile with that. Called the other yard I occasionally used back then and they said it was about 2 cents/lb higher than steel. But first yard is about 4 miles away, second yard is a solid 20. Wouldn't be worth the drive unless the truck bed was full of the silverware. Lol. If your yard doesn't have a non-mag category, as the old saying goes, a magnet is your best friend.

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mike1286:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,555 Posts
    magnetic (dirty) stainless if it sticks here. The tap handle would probably go as dirty stainless as well (so better to try and sell it for reuse).

7. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by hobo finds:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,132 Posts
    Recently my worker that does the sorting of "better than scrap" possibilities, told me "I found a box of flatware with bling". I replied "does your magnet still say bling?". His long pause gave me his magnetic test results, so before he could finish speaking, I told him you know where that box goes, correct? He quickly says even if it is gold? It never stops me from wondering, why do people spend good money so foolishly? Really who needs to eat with gold utensils? When others can barely make enough to simply buy food? I don't like it, but people do, because they can. Anyway I told him, you hooked me, put the box with my "need to research $hit.

Why I like scrapping, I keep learning about something new all the time! OK, we all know - Magnetic = worth less & non-magnetic = worth just a little more, but with potential for more $ (nothing changes with flatware)

Flatware - there are quality valuable examples of flatware that has potential to be better than scrap, even if it is magnetic (very rare), even more potential if non-magnetic. First there are known quality examples of flatware, that great brand names have always only made. Because a reputable and long time company "made it", always gives some added value (almost with anything), plus holds a value to the "right buyer, in the right market and only if the connection is made". My guy found one of those names - Reed & Barton, prominent American manufacturer of flatware since 1824. Some other quality "brand names" - Sheffield, Gorham, S. Kirk and Son, Oneida, and Stieff. There is several "best of list" on line pertaining to flatware. I think eBay's buyers information guides are good sources when placing "values" on any item that one has limited understanding or experience (I'm not a seller on eBay).

(just some info) This company did more that just flatware, examples of fine furniture, jewelry boxes, porcelain china, sterling silver tea sets and trays. They did the Atlanta Olympic award metals (1996) and have provided the dinning room settings for the White House. Not as big of a name brands as a Tiffany's but not something most could spend their hard earned money on for a gift on Christmas at their families vacation house. Also of note, company filed for bankruptcy 2015, so out of business now and anything made now is worthless (the name was sold to trinket makers from China)

Flatware (materials) - Silver (plated) and Sterling Silver. Stainless Steels 304 series (18-8) non-magnetic (Austentic), 316 series (18-10) non-magnetic (Austenitic), 430 series (18-0) magnetic (Ferritic) and Gold Electroplate over Sterling Silver or Stainless (some gold plating is 24k).

This is the way it is (anyway for my time and purpose) with flatware values and scrap grade.
    Silver (any percentage) or Sterling Silver - this is easy (has more than scrap yard value).
    plated gold over Sterling Silver - very easy (don't sell at a scrap yard unless their your best friend).
    plated gold over stainless - 300 or 400 series can have collectors value and way more than scrap (condition is everything).
    plated silver over copper - could be a antique (so go slow before you sell it as #2 scrap copper).
    plated silver over 304 or 316 stainless - better than scrap if in great condition - in bad condition, it's scrap 300 series period.
    plated silver over anything magnetic - is scrap steel!
    Stainless 304 and 316 - have the same value as flatware (replacement value maybe a $1) or 300 scrap stainless.

With anything (my experience) if some wants it or needs it, value is better than scrap metal price.
    If it's old, has memories for someone or collectible (may not be all that old), value is placed by the buyer.
    A antique, rare (usually comes with "I never seen one like that before") values can be exceptionally better than scrap, get professional help and advice. Do not try to clean it up to add value, doing so could turn a antique into scrap metal.

With better than scrap flatware (anything of value for that matter). What's it worth?
    Authenticity - must be done and verified (certified creditable experts is always adds greatest value).
    Condition - is everything, that old look is called patina (adds value almost always). Flaws of neglect like a chip, dent, gouged scar, missing anything (valued to almost always as "worthless junk") or a addition to your personal collection of "dust collectors" (we all have them).
    Set Completeness - a set of anything has maximum value only if it's all there, period. Hard to find pieces of a set can have surprising values (a soup spoon can be worth more than all of your teaspoons). A little bit of a set, is worth a "little bit of money".

what would stainless steel flatware go under?

Easy - non-magnetic stainless sold by the pound is almost always a 300 series scrap metal. Worth less than most scrap aluminum, but worth way more than scrap (magnetic) steel. High Speed Tool Steel is magnetic and better than normal scrap steel prices! Magnetic Steel is worth pennies a pound, but those pennies are the easiest to find and steel weights add up faster. There are methods to test the various 300 series stainless steels. Not worth the time to separate unless your buyer has a price scrap grade for the SS and you have large loads.

I sold my box of "bling flatware" to a friend and a goddess of all things old (including myself), I did way better than I expected, she bought some other accumulated pulled from the "trash of treasures" (I owe my worker something besides a Pepsi). It's been awhile since I wrote a book, I took the week off and this happens every time I drink more than three beers! Hope it helped somebody, a plastic fork is as good as a gold one, but those gold magnetic ones have a much grater value and Cheers!
    Last edited by bigburtchino; 04-18-2016 at 07:32 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by bigburtchino:

frankieg079 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Its non megnatic stainless. That make a dif

11. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Stainless steel
      By rooka21 in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: 04-27-2022, 03:49 PM
    2. How to distinguish stainless steel from regular steel
      By jennija in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice