Need a program like "Word"

| Off Topic Discussions
    TheHoss started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Need a program like "Word"

So i need to make my resume for the company i'm working for (yay me being a normal working stiff, lol), but i don't have a program to type it in?

I can't purchase it, so it obviously needs to be free 99. Anybody know of any products i can safely download? Or a place i can SAFELY get word?

Thanks in advance.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have used Open Office in the past. They have clones of all the Microsoft Office programs here https://www.openoffice.org/

3. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by HipoGear:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,132 Posts
    A great resource that is often overlooked when seeking employment? The public library!

A couple things to consider:
    1. Both large and small companies now use online applications that your resume is "digitally" attached with.
    2. Companies usually use some type of ATS software (Applicant Tracking System). These systems help a company choose the "right" applicant. These ATS software tools are used to find, screen, rank, and track applicants. It is very important that your resume be "readable" by these ATS software tools. Your application and resume needs to get into a "humans" hands, wont happen if the ATS software can't read your resume!
    3. Use common fonts for your resume (Arial, Times New Roman, Georgia, Tahoma).
    4. Resume format applicable for the position your applying for based on your employment background. Resume formats that are commonly used and a matching template, is Chronological, Functional and Hybrid. Hybrid is a combination of Chronological and Functional.
    5. Use a computer file type that ATS software can access and record. ATS software "usually" have no problems scanning Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word Doc, Rich Text Format, Plain Text Email.

There is always the "old fashion" method, print your resume and hand deliver it (Who does that now).

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 650 Posts
    I helped design the classifier for ATS software that is used by procter and gamble. They started with a generic script that reads scanned documents and another that reads standard format text documents. So both paper and digital resumes and applications could be stored. I've also seen commercial software at work (one of the reasons a big company like P&G ditched commercial software.

Digitally speaking, modern software is usually set by default (most HR teams do not change these settings) to reject all resumes with more than X grammatical and spelling errors. It uses the standard Microsoft library to figure all that out. Some stuff that will get you caught up... capitalization, using bullet points, double tabbing line for line (single tab only). MAKE SURE the document has an actual header...yanno, pertinent info like your name and contact information...this is the ONLY space where an @ and a non standard work like your name will not count against you.

Next...hop on the company website or...if it's an INTERNAL job...ask HR what they are looking for...your trying to get a sense of keywords. Your really could tag the resume with the top 5 keywords in use today to screen and probably get pretty close to bullseye sight unseen. Obvious stuff wont work, too many people use team player, skills...targets...attendance...studies...etc... think outside the box.

lastly if at all possible attempt to circumvent the system by putting your resume on an actual desk if at all possible. Hell...I know people who have landed jobs by mailing a package with their resume in it to HR. Other things that I know work are disposable usb drives with a few scanned in pics of things like your certifications, diplomas...for those of us with technical skills, a QUICK (less than 60 second) video showing off your welding skills or carpentry etc... goes a long way. beyond all this I have even seen people put up personal youtube channels.

Oh, P.S. SANITIZE YOUR FACEBOOK IMMEDIATELY. Your employer looks at your facebook, they will lie and say they don't but when it comes down to it HR is going to run your name. First of all...do not set it private, you can have private posts but I'd certainly have a flavor of post that is always public. Family events, babies...graduations, lots of smiling, good xmas, a birthday, etc. A clean presentable appearance in your profile, delete any picture suggesting political affiliation, DO be sport supportive, people like that. This is the modern world and an employer wants every possible advantage in finding a hire. Keep that in mind and I hope it helps.
    WI ITAD LLC, IT Liquidation Services, we remarket, buy and sell scrap electronics No customer too large or small!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    Glad I have not had to apply for a job in many years

7. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by mikeinreco:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 704 Posts
    Libre office. It has a wordprocessor, spreadsheet and others. Just like word and excel.

9. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by mthomasdev:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    indeed one of the reasons the library is one of very few worth while things I donate time, money, and stuff to from curbco lol. last year we just opened the new remodeled library and its amazing even has water bottle fill stations and with the new machines you can renew your license instead of waiting in he77 at the dmv. they help with jobs, projects and just about anything you want to dare dream up that's not a bomb.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to travistemple202020 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor
    Buying Tantalum capacitors

Thanks
    Google docs https://www.google.com/docs/about/ why use anything else. its free and in the cloud. get it on your phone or PC.

Eric
    I buy Tantalum Capacitors and offer other services. Check out my thread for more info.

http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/scrap...-cap-more.html

http://recycletantalumcapacitors.com/

13. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by etack:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HipoGear View Post
    I have used Open Office in the past. They have clones of all the Microsoft Office programs here https://www.openoffice.org/
    I also use Open Office and it works well on my iMac.

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,450 Posts
    LibreOffice is a more robust version of OpenOffice, basically (It's a long story). AbiWord is another good choice that I like. I would personally use AbiWord.
    More than Scrap Value Shipment Tips: http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/scrap...tml#post242349

16. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Looking for an "Above Scrap Pricing" Buyer for "R" Type RAM
      By sledge in forum Computer Recycling
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 04-21-2015, 06:52 PM
    2. Replies: 11
      Last Post: 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM
    3. For California Scrappers: "Intent to handle e-waste" notification for the DTSC
      By mrsamsonite in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM
    4. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 06-27-2012, 10:00 PM

Thread Information