a day at the fishing park...

| Off Topic Discussions
    DakotaRog started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 830 Posts

a day at the fishing park...

My freshman wanted to do some fishing so he invited a friend along and we headed over to the bigger city's "family fishing park". This is a neat deal where a local construction company donated one of its tapped out sand and gravel quarries to the city for a park. The city and the state work together to keep it stocked with game fish. The water is deep and clear enough to keep rainbow trout alive for part of the year as well as South Dakota standards walleyes, bluegills, crappies, and northerns.

When we got there, a crew of state agency guys were dumping northerns they had trapped in a couple much larger lakes about a 100 miles north into family park. They ranged from "hammer handles" up through a 12 pounder or so. My pixs weren't every good but we saw dozens go into the lake.

After the state guys left the boys went fishing down the line and dad settled down to cut tackle out of a "snaglefuess" (what my German uncles used to call a messed pile of fishing line). My boys had found it down at Falls Park a few weeks earlier with their aunt. I wanted to see how much stuff was in this pile of dozens and dozens pieces of line. Here's soon after I started cutting.

In the end, I had about 3/4th a pound of lead, a couple of lures I can rehabilitate, and some big treble hooks.

There was still lots of hooks left in the sanglefuess but not much for weights and the overall size of it was much reduced. There ended up being a local news photographer there at the park. The fish stocking was a big bonus for him and after a while he ended up taking pixs of me and my line cutting so maybe I'll end up in the paper in a couple of days. Good thing I was wearing my "Peterson Furs" trapping hat!

I didn't see much for fish being caught, T ended up with one rainbow that he released. The boys saw a bunch of northerns in the various shallow inlets but they weren't interested in biting. There's always another day...

2. The Following 7 Users say Thank You for This Post by DakotaRog:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    NZ is a bit of a hunting mecca. You used to be able to 'Shoot a deer, kill a pig and catch a fish in one day" sorta tourist deal.

But fly fishing on rivers is a big thing here, we have hydro power lakes with huge salmon from salmon farm escapees and the normal sea fishing, marlin etc.
    Some wild 'Captain Cookers' pigs originally released by Cptn Cook. Thar, goats etc. Sika and red deer plus others, no moose, but we have small kangaroos (wallaby) even.

The idea of populating a fishing park lake for the general public is a real good idea. It has not been done here. I'm Impressed, thanks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eesakiwi for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 7,220 Times in 2,256 Posts
    Thank you for the pictures. It sounds like the perfect family outing, one to be remembered for a long time.
    Give back more to this world than we take.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eesakiwi View Post
    NZ is a bit of a hunting mecca. You used to be able to 'Shoot a deer, kill a pig and catch a fish in one day" sorta tourist deal.

But fly fishing on rivers is a big thing here, we have hydro power lakes with huge salmon from salmon farm escapees and the normal sea fishing, marlin etc.
    Some wild 'Captain Cookers' pigs originally released by Cptn Cook. Thar, goats etc. Sika and red deer plus others, no moose, but we have small kangaroos (wallaby) even.

The idea of populating a fishing park lake for the general public is a real good idea. It has not been done here. I'm Impressed, thanks.
    I never heard of Thar before - I had to look it up. It's an awesome looking animal, sort of like the mountain goats we have in North America. It must be popular with trophy hunters.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Otto for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 941 Posts
    Look's like a fun day.
    we still have ice on most of the small lakes in the area, the big lakes to the south are open though.
    Last time I saw the state stocking fish we were fishing a remote hike in pond early in the AM and the state showed up with a helicopter....wish I had gotten a pic, doesn't rain fish too often.
    The boy was 5 at the time..his excitement level was pretty high lol
    Last edited by NHscrapman; 03-21-2016 at 09:57 AM.
    There ain't nothing wrong with an honest days work. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.- Old Man

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,555 Posts
    You could take the rest of the line with the hooks still attached and put into empty chewing tobacco tins or empty coffee cans with metal bottom place the cap back on and add it to the shred pile! Every time I fished I lost way more lures and line then I found...

10. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Fishing cart
      By pawpaw in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-09-2014, 03:43 PM
    2. Magnet fishing
      By mikenofx2000 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: 01-26-2014, 01:45 AM
    3. Anyone on this forum into fishing?
      By dc0613 in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 7