Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Catfish Bob started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Expanding into other recyclables worth money

Hello, just want to say very glad to of found this place.
    I been scrapping metal for about 4 years now, I'm 25 and get most of my scrap while out working, doing lawn service.
    I have also done very good dumpster diving but here recently that has gone for the worst. I been ran off one site by a shop manager, stopped by the po po twice within the last month. So my scrapping and extra income has really taken a hit.

I been thinking about other materials that can be found much easier than metal such as paper and cardboard. Anyone have luck with these here?

What about plastic bottles that say .05 cents Michigan/etc....Those are everywhere here in Kentucky. I wonder if I collected enough to fill up a box truck if I could take to Michigan and get .05 a pop? No one in Ky buys scrap plastic bottles, we do have paper and cardboard buyers.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I've thought about the whole bottle return thing too, but considering it would take me hours to get out of Texas to ANY state, that alone wouldn't cover my gas bill to even consider such a thing. There's a town about 2 hours away from my residence that does buy plastic, paper, cardboard, glass, etc but you would need literal tons of it to see any benjamins going into your wallet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rca987 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I've scrapped cardboard one time, someone dumped a bunch behind my lawn care shop so instead of tossing it into the dumpster I took it to the paper place to see how it works. Same as any scrap yard just back up and dump into a massive pile. That was about a year ago,,,cardboard was at $50ton and mixed paper at $45 ton. I know some grades of office paper can go for over 1k$ a ton.

$50 a ton is extremely low but when I would go out dumpster diving I'd see so much of it. Only thing I can see getting in the way of getting businesses to hold me their cardboard and paper is having some where to keep it. I'd have to make a big wood container for each site to put it so wind doesn't blow it away making a mess etc,,

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    in maine i save up my bottle's that my family drinks, and cash them in once a month. i usually get $30. But if you look all over the roads there is a BUNCH. i would start scrapping cardboard/plastic and wood pallets... but cant find a buyer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vamped400 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Here we are having some serious flooding but the water has receded some leaving behind nothing but lots of drift wood, mud, tons and tons of plastic drink bottles, oil quarts etc,,freaking everywhere! If I could get .01 a piece I'd be out there collecting, not much but better than sitting at home with no scrap to work on.

One bad thing I did find out about the paper and cardboard here. Is that they are not always buying, sometimes they shut down and stop buying. So I don't know what to think about that. Would suck to collect a fat truck load of paper and then they don't buy an I have to hold for a undisclosed amount of time. Still would like to give it a shot. Hopefully their is a paper scrapper on here that can give some good insight.
    Last edited by Catfish Bob; 05-03-2011 at 06:59 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hauling a box truck full of bottles to another state reminds me of that Seinfeld episode when Kramer and Newman tried to pull off the same thing - using a mail truck! HAHA! Anyone remember that?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRyan View Post
    Hauling a box truck full of bottles to another state reminds me of that Seinfeld episode when Kramer and Newman tried to pull off the same thing - using a mail truck! HAHA! Anyone remember that?
    Of course. One of the best episodes ever. It might have even been a two parter.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    For me it's plastic. I get loads (for me anyway....HAHA) of it from computers, vacuums, small appliances. I have been trying to find a place local to me that will buy in SMALL qty loads from the public....no dice as of yet. I wish we had deposit on glass and plastic bottles in this state but we don't and again no one will buy SMALL qty loads from the general public.

If you have paper buyers in your area....trying mixing that with your lawn service. Maybe agree to free pick-up of all waste newsprint, magazines, computer paper, cardboard, etc...from your residental and commercial clients. Put a "green" enviro spin on it to seal some business.

How about composting the waste grass clippings and leaves from your lawn care business and reselling it as mulch/fertilizer for gardens? Again put some type of 100% organic enviro spin on it.....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Victor for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hey Victor too bad they don't have a deposit on glass bottles in your area. We never had it until our provincial government decided to launch a wine & liquor bottle return system in 2007.(I guess to many ending up in landfills). We get .10 or .20 cents per bottle returned depending on size. I'd like to find a place that will pay me for paper/cardboard.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Man, here in the tater state we only get .2 cents a pound for card board. Tried it once. Filled up my pickup, got $3.20. Never again lol. Didnt even pay my gas to git there.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHoss for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My girl and I do metal, paper and cardboard. It takes a lot of paper or cardboard to make it worth doing. I do it because there are so many scrappers in my area now, some days its hard to find any metal at all. And work is in a slump at the moment. Gotta pay the bills somehow!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to trashman for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Catifsh bob where in ky are you from.Really cardboard you can make very little money because u need so much of it.I used to do it and would get $25-$40 a truck load heck 10 years ago now i dont mess with it.But if it got to slow i could i guess.I used to also take my loaded truck home and run water over the cardboard for awhile to get alot of extra weight lol.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Focker for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trashman View Post
    I do it because there are so many scrappers in my area now, some days its hard to find any metal at all. And work is in a slump at the moment. Gotta pay the bills somehow!
    That is why I'm considering it. All my secret scrap metal spots are no longer secret. For the longest time I had three plumbing places that would give me their steel. They kept the copper and brass and left the iron pipes and water heaters behind the dumpster for me. Now who the heck knows how many times other scrappers stop by those same spots all day everyday.
    The trash men here quit taking old tv and computer screens so that really hurts my copper pile.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    catfish where u living at in ky.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Around Louisville

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    About a 15 minute drive from the place that buys cardboard! lol

Nearest metal yard is about 20 minutes.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    kool i live in louisville myself.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    currently cardboard is $145.00 per ton. my girl and i hunt behind stores for bales. it takes us about 3 to 5 minutes loading one that can weigh 300-1000 lbs. we have a low trailer and we come up on the bale with only one thought, " LETS GET IT!!! " we dont walk away empty handed.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to trashman for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Uh huh. And you do have permission to take those bales, of course.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sounds like a good idea but it might not be, here is why. A few years ago me and a friend of mine tried to do this with alum cans. I live in vegas about 3 hrs away from cali. In cali they pay 5 cents per can. We loaded a truck full of crush cans and drove down there only to find out when we got there YOU HAVE TO PROVE YOU LIVE IN CALI to get that sweet deal. Lucky for us my grandma lives in oceanside and we were able to use her address. I'm not sure if its the same way in michigan, make sure you call the yard to find out before or know someone who live in michigan who will let you use their address.
    Last edited by Dru702; 07-06-2011 at 06:33 AM.

28. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Who knew dishwasher racks were worth money...
      By IdahoScrapper in forum More than Scrap Value
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 04-19-2016, 01:40 PM
    2. This wire stripper worth the money ?
      By taterjuice in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 11-11-2012, 08:52 PM
    3. Collecting Recyclables in NYC without permission...
      By technologyrecycling in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 07-10-2012, 12:45 AM
    4. expanding my business
      By gueroinchicago in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 04-11-2012, 12:38 AM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information