can you scrap metal from

| Scrap Metal Spots
    krut started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

can you scrap metal from

hello every one i was wondering would it be legal to take scrap metal from public woods?
    and would it be a good idea to ask to take laying around scrap metal from like construction sites like repairing roads and stuff??

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    find out the land owner, then ask. i used to do this when i first started scrapping, but i now ask. ive never been denied.

not sure about the construction thing. i go by "it never hurts to ask"

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If entering construction sites there's usually a sign requiring safety shoes and helmets to be worn. Check with supervisor in the office (trailer).

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    and would it be a good idea to ask to take laying around scrap metal from like construction sites like repairing roads and stuff??
    It would be a very BAD idea to take anything from a construction site without asking. And if you asked at one of my sites, I'd be honest and tell you, No, cause I'm scrapping it.

That having been said, I'm constantly amazed at some of the stuff contractors just throw away, as well as what sometimes just shows up in the dumpster over the weekend.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Always, always, always, ask before taking anything from private property (i.e. construction sites)

Wouldn't wanna end up in jail for trespassing or theft

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Having been a general contractor for over 20 years I can tell you that many sites don't allow the general public on site due to insurance liability issues. However, if you show up in proper dress like work boots, long pants, hard hat, safety glasses and sometimes even a orange vest, ask where you can find the supervisor and present a card to him with your info including that you are insured, you may get your foot in the door. It is unbelievable how much stuff just gets tossed.
    Last edited by KzScrapper; 05-01-2011 at 01:58 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    This.

I have 2 contracts right now with 2 different construction companies. Only reason i do, is because i dressed up in the proper clothing, and acted professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by KZBell View Post
    Having been a general contractor for over 20 years I can tell you that many sites don't allow the general public on site due to insurance liability issues. However, if you show up in proper dress like work boots, long pants, hard hat, safety glasses and sometimes even a orange vest, ask where you can find the supervisor and present a card to him with your info including that you are issured, you may get your foot in the door. It is unbelievable how much stuff just gets tossed.

Thread Information