cmgscrap started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

What are these!? I cant ID via the sticky threads, google, or searching old threads.

Hi everyone,

I have been taking apart some old floppy drives grabbing the motors and stuff like the gold connectors off of the board. Some of the more complicated boards have the components pictures below on them. I am hoping someone can help satisfy my curiosity and help me determine if there is any scrap value. Or if anyone wants to comiserate.

I have searched the sticky threads and tried googling with no success. I also can't find any existing threads with these in them.

The first mystery is the white object in this picture:

The next mystery is the blue square. It says 1000J on it, maybe meaning 1000 Joules?

Now I dont think the objects in this picture have any value but I am still curious. The board on the left has a blue 3 legged component and the one on the right has a red multilegged object.

Last edited by cmgscrap; 10-08-2015 at 01:32 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by cmgscrap:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    I think the white thing in the first pic is a 'S.A.W.device'. That stands for 'Standing Acoustic Wave.
    Basicly its a Tin can telephone made from a small sheet of glass. It works by delaying a signal for just the exact right amount of time.
    This was the holdback problem with the inventor of the TV, John logie Baird. He never figured out how to time the electron beamexact enough to make a good sharp picture.
    Weird that, he had made tin can telephones as a kid, but never transposed the idea over to his TV invention.

Its got Gold on/in it. You often see them with a stainless steel cap and Gold solder around the caps edge. Other times they are a disc shape or a rectangle, without the Gold solder, but the base on them may be Gold plated.. Or a black resin rectangular box.

All TVs have them. And they look very pretty inside them too. You need a magnafieing lens though.

The 1000j thing, I think is just a capacator. Break it open and its probably got a thin sheet of mylar wound into a flat spool.

I'm not sure what the red thing is, I expect its just a fancy row of resistors. The blue thing, same or capactors. I have never broken them apart to find out. I will tonight though.....

4. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by eesakiwi:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'd have to agree with eesakiwi about the SAW Device in the first image. The 1000J looks like a block or square capacitor so it'll be either low voltage/high capatance or vice versa but their equivelent to a can capacitor. The blue 3-leg thing in the last image is either a capacitor or transistor of some kind(never seen a capacitor with 3 legs on it) and the red thing there on the right is also a transistor of some sort. The blue one's probably on there for low voltage/high capatance so the 1000J is probably 1000pf and the red thing's on there probably for either early noise dampening or something signal related. I come across them alot in power supplies and radios.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to logansryche for This Post:

cmgscrap started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks for all the info you two! Now I know to save the S.A.W.s. What bucket would you all put them into? Maybe with Crystal Ossilators?

I broke upen the res thing and there is not much to report, it just seems like a coated piece of conductor. The 3 legged blue thing shattered on me when I tried to look inside. So the things in the third picture are still sort of a mystery

CMG

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cmgscrap for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I now think the three legged blue thing might be a crystal of some sort.
    I picked up a board and found the same item and it had XTL written on the board beside it.

At the same time I found out what another item was. Its the light mustard coloured resistor shaped item.
    I had been wondering if they were Tanti capactors because they are exactly the same colour. It turns out that they are 'fusable links' and they have FL written on the board beside them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to eesakiwi for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmgscrap View Post
    Thanks for all the info you two! Now I know to save the S.A.W.s. What bucket would you all put them into? Maybe with Crystal Ossilators?

I broke upen the res thing and there is not much to report, it just seems like a coated piece of conductor. The 3 legged blue thing shattered on me when I tried to look inside. So the things in the third picture are still sort of a mystery

CMG
    I keep the SAWs in one pile the crystals in another and so on down the line. I have OCD like that though...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to logansryche for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by logansryche View Post
    I keep the SAWs in one pile the crystals in another and so on down the line. I have OCD like that though...
    I'm doing the same. The steel cased crystals get put aside if I can rip them out with both legs on. I think theres Silver in there but.. well seperate and save them anyway.

The S.A.W's I seperate by style and put them in a plastic lunchbox with lots of dividers in it.
    I'm thinking that they will be turned into escrap jewelry one day.

The Gold soldered SAW's.
    I put those boards aside because I figure they are 'high value' boards anyway.
    The ones I do take off, get broken 1/2 the time and go in a small pill container. That will get sold/go with my escrap. Which I will be selling soon.
    I think the Gold recovery from them will be easyish and a good return for the escrap buyer.

14. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by eesakiwi:

15. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Subscribing to Threads for Notifications
      By admin in forum SMF Support Forum
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 08-01-2013, 08:21 AM
    2. Similar Threads from SMF
      By BurlyGuys in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 06-06-2012, 10:13 PM
    3. Threads on this forum
      By wayne1956 in forum Scrap Metal Spots