Whats an NEC phone system worth?

| Telecom Recycling - Cell phones, tablets, PDAs etc
    dsroten started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Whats an NEC phone system worth?

I found an auction listing for a NEC NEAX 2000 phone system. I'm not well versed in the world of telecom stuff but I know from looking at some of our buyers' price list that the boards in these things are worth more money. Actually the listing says the system worked when decommissioned, but if I was going to buy it, I would like to do it at a price point to where if I had to I could scrap the thing out and wind up in the black. Theres actually two racks like the one pictured below. Anybody have any idea on scrap value?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ebay is your best friend here. Do some research, but the best thing is if you had a list of the cards inside. Unless you have a local buyer to take the whole thing, it will be easier to sell and ship individual cards. You may also get a much better ROI

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shendog View Post
    Ebay is your best friend here. Do some research, but the best thing is if you had a list of the cards inside. Unless you have a local buyer to take the whole thing, it will be easier to sell and ship individual cards. You may also get a much better ROI
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying and if I buy I would try to sell the cards piece at a time. However, I'm looking for an estimate of scrap value, that way I can still come out on it in the event I can't sell as usable parts

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    hard to say without seeing the cards. but telecom cards are nice. lowball those bigger cards at a pound apiece x whatever the going rate on telecom is. Looks like each cabinet has a bunch. Might be a power supply board or two in there as well. Wiring, steel, power supply....probably get $100-$150 scrap out of that thing. Deduct your time, shipping, etc... If it is close by and you can load easily in your vehicle, I would bid $100 and try to get $200-$300 scrap, taking a chance that you can sell it for more than scrap. My quick check on eBay shows few sales of boards. I would still try but just lowball everyone. You might luck out and get $500. But never, EVER, buy it for more than scrap (my mantra)

5. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Ecycle Atlanta:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shendog View Post
    hard to say without seeing the cards. but telecom cards are nice. lowball those bigger cards at a pound apiece x whatever the going rate on telecom is. Looks like each cabinet has a bunch. Might be a power supply board or two in there as well. Wiring, steel, power supply....probably get $100-$150 scrap out of that thing. Deduct your time, shipping, etc... If it is close by and you can load easily in your vehicle, I would bid $100 and try to get $200-$300 scrap, taking a chance that you can sell it for more than scrap. My quick check on eBay shows few sales of boards. I would still try but just lowball everyone. You might luck out and get $500. But never, EVER, buy it for more than scrap (my mantra)
    This is exactly my thoughts. I checked ebay as well with few results on sold auctions. Its a couple hours drive away, so theres that. But theres actually two of these racks, and loading it on my flatbed truck wouldnt be a problem. I've bought cars for less than scrap for years (auto salvage is my bread and butter) and sold parts, and I've messed with computers for a little while now, but the telecom stuff is new to me. Just dont want to get burned you know.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 Times in 1,877 Posts
    I have installed and scrapped a lot of those NEC 2000 systems and I wouldn't give any more than 40 dollars for both. Yes I said 40 for both racks. The boards are small (4"X6") and full of transformers except for the 2 CPU's and a few other higher grade cards. Most of the cards are mid grade ($1.50 lb) from my buyer and that's after you remove the transformers. Ebay is flooded with old NEC parts so good luck with that. If you could find a business that has one of these systems installed you could make some money selling to them for spare parts.

The bigger NEC systems like the 2400 have really nice cards but the smaller systems like the NEC Elite 192, IPK, IPK II and the 2000 have more mid grade boards.
    Last edited by jimicrk; 09-22-2015 at 05:13 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by jimicrk:

9. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. whats it worth??
      By jennija in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 12-14-2013, 06:34 PM
    2. electron gun what in it and whats it worth?
      By ewasteofco in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 11-16-2012, 08:30 PM
    3. Whats this worth per pound
      By DropYoTop in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 07-03-2012, 09:59 AM
    4. Phone system??
      By sabicp in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 12-31-2011, 08:20 PM
    5. whats a freezer worth