Just poking around today

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    Mick started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts

Just poking around today

I've been throwing insulated wire into a pile for about six months. A couple guys bring stuff over to give me and I knew one had thrown some wire onto the pile. Today, I decided to get it picked up for the scrap yard as Insulated Copper ($1.40/lb). Looked like most little stuff like appliance cords, which I'd cut off, computer/radio wire and similar. Too much trouble to strip for what it is. About half way through it, I ran into a bunch of old jumper cables. Nah, still too much trouble to strip. Next was an industrial jumper cable (probably 2 gauge). Decided to strip it. Rubber insulation with a string mesh. String was kind of a pain to strip, but worth it for the six pounds of copper ($3.15/lb). Next was an industrial jumper like I've NEVER seen. I'm hoping somebody can help me figure it out. Clamp (not steel and only opens a couple inches) on one end; flat copper piece with a hole for a bolt on the other end. The cable is made up of seven strands of copper. Each strand is about the size of a regular car jumper cable and made up of smaller strands (like wire rope for you recovery guys). I made a "walking measurement" and came up with 60' (yes, FEET). I'm guessing at one pound per foot or a little more. Rubber insulation only and very brittle.

I haven't looked much further, but looks like there's more to be stripped. Had one good payday yesterday (mostly copper and brass - $750; plus $122 in Light Iron the day before). Best part is that it was all dropped off here "just to get it out of the way".

People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Come to think of it, very likely. The clamp looks like a welding clamp. I'm not usually a welder, so didn't think of it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Did you end up turning in all your wires? If so, out of pure curiosity, how many lbs did you have saved in those 6 months?

I've recently started to stockpile all wirings, brass and copper. Box it up and throw it in storage.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yup, ground clamp. If it is not steel, bet you a dollar it's copper. I have a steel one on my MIG welder and a copper one on my TIG. I did both my jobs today. Hauled in scrap and then met a lady at my shop and fixed her aluminum rim. I much rather repair a rim for $60 than recycle one for______. (fill in appropriate amt.)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I just started today working on the six month's worth of wiring. Haven't taken in any of that. I imagine it'll be around 200 pounds.

I did take in last Saturday most of the other copper stockpile I had built up over the winter. Thirty-two pounds of #1; 124 lbs of #2, 31 lbs of brass; 41 lbs of brass radiators, 62 pounds of Aluminum, 20 pounds of extrusion and 357 lbs of Irony Aluminum. Still have maybe 15 - 20 pounds of Bright and Shiny and maybe 25-30 pounds of #2 copper that needs to be "prepared". And that's just what's in the garage. Not counting the pile I've been posting pictures of and another 8x8x16 storage building of aluminum. I expect to be busy for awhile.

(Reply to rca987)
    Last edited by Mick; 04-18-2011 at 09:19 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonWelding View Post
    Yup, ground clamp. If it is not steel, bet you a dollar it's copper. I have a steel one on my MIG welder and a copper one on my TIG. I did both my jobs today. Hauled in scrap and then met a lady at my shop and fixed her aluminum rim. I much rather repair a rim for $60 than recycle one for______. (fill in appropriate amt.)
    Yes, it's copper. Already cut the clamp and stripped some to make sure.

7. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Two first for me today
      By mikedmissouri in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 04-29-2012, 09:56 PM
    2. What i saw today
      By Dunemaul in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 03-05-2012, 10:40 PM
    3. Today......
      By Igigi in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 10