Lap Top Motherboards

| Computer Recycling
    junksable started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Lap Top Motherboards

I need some guidance please. I just met a guy who fixes and re-sells laptops. I sold him the laptops I had for pretty good pricing. In talking with him, if he comes across a laptop where the motherboard does not work, right now he just throws them out. I mentioned I would by them from him by the pound, but the issue is he says he leaves the motherboard in the laptop itself, he doesn't want to waste his time taking it out. SO my question is: How would i price these? I can't use weight as the laptop weight would still be included. Should I charge by the motherboard, if so what should that be? Or should i charge an incomplete laptop price by the pound, say .25/lb? Any help would be appreciated as this guy goes through 100's of laptops a month. Thank You.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by junksable View Post
    I need some guidance please. I just met a guy who fixes and re-sells laptops. I sold him the laptops I had for pretty good pricing. In talking with him, if he comes across a laptop where the motherboard does not work, right now he just throws them out. I mentioned I would by them from him by the pound, but the issue is he says he leaves the motherboard in the laptop itself, he doesn't want to waste his time taking it out. SO my question is: How would i price these? I can't use weight as the laptop weight would still be included. Should I charge by the motherboard, if so what should that be? Or should i charge an incomplete laptop price by the pound, say .25/lb? Any help would be appreciated as this guy goes through 100's of laptops a month. Thank You.
    Buyers here paying 70 to 80 cents for incomplete. One buyers complete allows some missing items.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mthomasdev for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 676 Posts
    Sorry to be pain ... you have to balance that against shipping costs though. It might work out better to break them down. That way you're shipping a value item & not the waste.

On pricing: Can't suggest what you should buy at but maybe take 40 - 50 motherboards and figure out what an average weight per piece would be ?

If you weigh up a single laptop motherboard there isn't a lot of weight there. ( laptops are generally designed to be lightweight so they're easy to carry around. )

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrappah for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappah View Post
    Sorry to be pain ... you have to balance that against shipping costs though. It might work out better to break them down. That way you're shipping a value item & not the waste.

On pricing: Can't suggest what you should buy at but maybe take 40 - 50 motherboards and figure out what an average weight per piece would be ?

If you weigh up a single laptop motherboard there isn't a lot of weight there. ( laptops are generally designed to be lightweight so they're easy to carry around. )
    Unfortunately i have no boards to weigh, but a good idea. Maybe I can google the weight of a board unless someone already knows?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappah View Post

If your shipping small boxes, then incomplete laptops may not be the way to go. I'm shipping pallets, so cost is a lot lower

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    sigh....ok laptops can range from 4-15 (really old) pounds...part of that weight is the battery an d you should not have to pay that for the battery...pull them off and offer to take them for free (li ion is worth .40-.90/lb last I checked). that means you will be paying $1-$3.75 each. You will have a motherboard, ram, CPU, hard drive, cd drive and possibly a wifi card in each (assuming they are whole) that are sellable. If you can boot them (and sometimes even if you cant test) the screen can be sold sometimes on Ebay...same with the plug in power supplies (not always), if not the power supplies are scrappable.

Motherboad can weigh 10oz to 1 lb...some a bit more on older ones...ewasted pays a premium on those (something like $3/lb)....now you have some ram, some high value cards/finger boards. You can pull the hard drive board off if an older hard drive and sell it for like $10/lb and then the HD itself as scrap...cr drive for .25/lb (all these figures are about what I get for smaller quantities).

There it is broken down....it can take some time for some to break down and you better have some eyeglass screwdrivers.

See if that make sense for your time to be doing.
    PROFIT is made when you BUY/ACQUIRE NOT when you sell

9. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by webuyselltradestuff:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 Times in 1,877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by junksable View Post
    I'm assuming from your post that this guy is local to you.

If he is throwing the bad laptops away I would try to get them for free. Can't hurt to ask.

I'll admit laptops are some of the last things I want to break down but they aren't that hard.

I sold my laptop mother boards the other day and got 3 dollars a pound for them.

11. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by jimicrk:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thank you everyone! I think I now have a direction to go. Hope all have a good 4th, and God Bless America and all of our service men and women!!!!

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Let us know how it goes. If you can get them for free, you can't really lose. I'd do what was suggested above- send in 25 laptops of each method to your buyer- 25 incomplete, and 25 motherboard only.
    More than Scrap Value Shipment Tips: http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/scrap...tml#post242349

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 676 Posts
    I had a few minutes and was curious so i grabbed an incomplete laptop and ran the numbers. My cost to ship in boxes is about .40/lb.

Incomplete laptop: 3.69 lbs @ .80/lb = 2.95

Shipping : 3.69 lbs @ .40/lb - 1.47

Net profit after expense: 1.48

Net profit per lb: .40 /lb

===================================

Laptop motherboard: .30 lbs@ 3.80/lb 1.14

Shipping: .30 lbs@.40/lb .12

Net profit: ( per mobo) 1.02

Net profit per pound: 3.40
    =====================================

There's a pretty big difference in net profit per pound between the two. It's all situational though. Shipping costs vary. You have to consider the time involved in breaking down the laptops. Also .... if you're shipping gaylords it might be better to expend as little time & effort with them as possible.

15. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Scrappah:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 703 Posts
    Save up ewaste till you can ship pallets. this cuts shipping roughly in half. laptops add weight to your load quickly, helping you to reach shipping weight faster.

My opinion is laptops are not worth stripping unless you are reselling parts, or are a computer tech that knows where all the screws are.

IF your are a computer tech that can efficiently disassemble laptops, you can make much more per hr repairing laptops that taking them apart for scrap.

It depends on your skills, value of your time, and if you have more profitable work you can do.

I do suggest taking a few apart just to see what its like.
    Currently looking for a job in or related to scrap/recycling. Relocation is possible for the right offer.

17. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by MattInTheHat:

18. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. motherboards without sockets?
      By maneddi in forum E-Waste Grading and Identification
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 05-21-2014, 08:41 AM
    2. Green Motherboards VS. Colored "Chinese" Motherboards
      By BohemianLush in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: 12-04-2012, 02:24 AM
    3. TV Motherboards
      By MvPElectronicRecycling in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 10-19-2012, 01:14 AM
    4. How not to buy motherboards
      By HLH&R Metals Recycling in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 31
      Last Post: 07-28-2012, 08:45 PM
    5. What would these boards be? Motherboards?
      By newattitude in forum E-Waste Grading and Identification
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 06-16-2012, 12:01 AM

Thread Information