Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Ebay Hiccup

| Ebay Traders
    parttimescrapperMD started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

First Ebay Hiccup

I started selling on eBay a few months ago. I got a bunch of computer stuff from cleaning out an office that was free and new. The first little VoIP card I looked up on eBay was $185. I was immediately hooked. That card sold pretty easily and so did a few other things. The office clean out turn out to be a pretty lucrative job. Then I sold a UPS system. I had two, they were older models but never used and still in the original box. The first one I sold, the buyer asked several questions and I was very honest about where I got and that I didn't know much about the machine besides it was still sealed in the box. After some correspondence and some negotiation, he purchased the item and sent it off never to hear a word again. Happy customer!

The next one I sold was not so good. My pictures showed that the box was beat up. That is the way I got it. But it was new and never used except for it being opened by the previous owner to find out it was the wrong kind of UPS. One person showed interested and made me and offer. After a few counter offers and negotiation, we decided on a price and it was shipped out right after payment was made. The day it arrived I got a message from the buyer that said "The box was in bad shape and things were not properly packed. The unit is not new" Like I said, my pictures showed the box. I taped it up really well and put extra packing material in it so that there would be no damage. If you looked up the unit online before purchasing it, you would know that it is an older model, so no, it isn't new. But it is unused.

So I very politely ask how I can fix the situation. There is no response. I send another message asking what I can do. They basically say, "I don't know, you tell me." I offer to refund the money and send a shipping label to have it returned to me. No response. I send another message saying that if they want to keep it I will give them back $40 for not living up to expectations. No response. It has been several days. The money has cleared paypal, but I feel like I am being held hostage because I don't want to get a bad review. I think I am going to forget about it now. He has the stuff, I have the money. I made an effort to fix it. If I get a bad review, I guess I can show eBay the lengths I went through to make the person happy and hopefully they will remove the bad review.

Has anyone else had this type of issue? Do I have any standing with eBay to dispute the bad rating? What steps do I have to go through to get the bad rating removed if it does happen? It sucks that one person can sour your whole eBay experience. Especially since it was going so well making more that scrap value for stuff. Now I feel like saying forget it and just go back to strictly scrapping even if the stuff is new.

Ugh

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Just save your messages to and from just in case. If their too lazy to send it back or correspond then I guess they'll live with it.

Don't lose a nite's sleep over it. Continue on,,,

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 648 Posts
    I agree with Mech. There is a good chance this problem will go away. For future reference, anything that is open when I get it, I list as used. I may choose "New Other" and explain that it is an open box, but usually I try to make it sound worse than it is. I always try to downplay the condition of things, and usually people are very happy with what they get.

On that same note, I ship expedited shipping for a lot of things. However, I always put standard shipping. I get a lot of happy people when they receive their package much faster than expected.

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by ryanw:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Just wanted to add, I list items sometimes as NOS. New Old Stock.
    Means that it is new in the package but old and usually outdated.

On that same note, I ship expedited shipping for a lot of things. However, I always put standard shipping. I get a lot of happy people when they receive their package much faster than expected.
    So for the majority of time, USPS has done me right on the shipping times.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    All good advice. Thanks. The item got there is 3 days. Good shipping speed I would think. I hope I don't hear anything back. But who knows how long I have to wait to find out. Move on and keep scrapping I guess.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    Just save your messages to and from just in case. If their too lazy to send it back or correspond then I guess they'll live with it.

Don't lose a nite's sleep over it. Continue on,,,
    Agreed I used to get so upset over Ebay returns now I just shrug it off and list more (only way I know to combat the EBAY IDIOTS)

10. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by mikeinreco:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinreco View Post
    Agreed I used to get so upset over Ebay returns now I just shrug it off and list more (only way I know to combat the EBAY IDIOTS)
    EBAY IDIOTS ... Isn't that the truth? LOL

I would just add that I always pay for insurance on higher priced items. That way if it doesn't get there in the same condition that I sent it, there is recourse for the buyer without having to pay to ship it back to me. I always pack things really well but at times things do get mishandled with shipping.

12. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by HipoGear:

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,450 Posts
    The problem is that buyers won't often go through the insurance process. I won't insure anything less than $50 anymore (Unless shipped via Priority Mail- then I take the free insurance, of course). I've had items returned to me as defective that worked flawlessly. I was once given a neutral feedback where the buyer said "Great seller!".

I wouldn't stress much. You've offered them a chance, and they haven't taken it. You've done your part. If he comes back later for a refund, you may have to issue it, but I still make them mail it back. Nobody gets free stuff from me....
    More than Scrap Value Shipment Tips: http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/scrap...tml#post242349

14. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by matador:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 830 Posts
    I generally don't deal with electronics on ebay. I know a lot of you do and maybe the buyers for such parts are a bit more hard to please or whatever. I have an ebay feedback of 515, almost entirely selling, and probably another half as again of people that didn't leave feedback so I probably 800+ deals under my belt. I don't know where that places me, probably a lot less seasoned than some, a lot more experience than others. But, in my dealings, I can probably still count on my hands the number of people who were verbally (like commented about it) displeased with what I sold them. Maybe a lot of the ones that didn't leave feedback didn't like the item, don't know. Typically, I've just refunded their money and moved on. Then again, most of my items aren't very expensive. I'll buy insurance for a decent deal where the combined item cost and mailing is over $50. Its saved my butt a couple of times.

Good luck on your further ebay deals!!!

16. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by DakotaRog:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Argh, now he claims the batteries are dead. I tested it before I sold it and they worked fine. He said if I let him have the whole unit for $25 then he will keep it and get new batteries. I already gave him a $65 discount off the original price and another $40 for the trouble. There is no way I'm going to let him keep it for $25. I cost $35 to ship it. Or should I just take the hit as a lessons learned and get this guy off my back? This is ridiculous. The unit can't be that bad if you are willing to keep it. It sounds like a scam to me.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

First Ebay Hiccup

give the refund and move on to finding more items to sell. you will avoid the negative..make someone happy and hopefully still make a little something off of out. you will get these types occasionally and just have to look at the big picture instead of each transaction

SMF Badges of Honor
    Buying ewaste and vintage video games

Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 707 Posts
    Ugh what a canoe , at this point I would open a claim or call them up and explain everything , eBay customer service can see all messages sent thru their site . You have all ready been more than fair , he is just taking advantage of you . if you let him keep it tor $25 then in reality it cost you $10 just to give it too him . I would explain that the shipping costs are more than what he is offering to pay you have already been more than fair . Me personally I would stick to my guns or make him ship it back but then your out $35 and who is to say that he doesn't have a broken one ready to ship you back or perchance swapped batts and is hoping you say just send it back , so he can get a new battery for free .

Maybe you can open a claim first that buyer is making unreasonable demands ? But I feel as the seller your back is up against the wall . Good luck I hope it gets resolved as easy as possible . Be sure to add him to your blocked bidders list if this doesn't turn you off from eBay in the future .
    Buying ewaste and video games !

20. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Metalbestos:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 521 Posts
    New old stock with batteries is a tough deal.

Batteries, especially the lead-acid ones in UPS's will inevitably go bad on you in about 4-7 years, under use or not.

The worst thing about them is that they will appear to hold a charge but it is only a superficial charge and will not last very long. But you would have had to test it for an hour or two under a load to be able to tell that.

I'm not siding with the guy, but if this equipment is in the 5+ years old range, you are just about guaranteed the battery was toast.

What you do with the customer depends on you. You can fight or simply take whatever money he is offering and move on. It still will be a lot better than scrapping it!

Jon.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sawmilleng for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    make a claim on your end and show them he is trying to exploit you on the price...if you have to CALL cust ser and TALK to a human. I have done it on several occasions and have had no issues (I won the disputes levied against me....I even had to appeal one since the regular person didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground and sided with the buyer...I appealed and showed them the reason they were wrong and it was overturned). DO NOT PUT UP WITH ANY SH$% from ebay people...I sell alot and and VERY clear in my TOS on every auction and I stick to my guns.
    PROFIT is made when you BUY/ACQUIRE NOT when you sell

24. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by webuyselltradestuff:

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    Agreed- I'd fire back. If I lost another $5-10 on shipping and giving a refund, I'd do it. Nobody gets free stuff from me. Of course, I would have required a return instead of giving a partial refund in the first place, so my situation would have been different (For better or worse). But, I'd go to eBay, claim extortion, and make him send it back. Then, what you efunded him through PayPal should go as a credit towards the refund (They'll have proof of the partial refund)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to matador for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by directrecycle View Post
    give the refund and move on to finding more items to sell. you will avoid the negative..make someone happy and hopefully still make a little something off of out. you will get these types occasionally and just have to look at the big picture instead of each transaction
    ...or you could give the refund and he could STILL ding you with negative. Giving a refund does not necessarily ensure you won't get negative feedback
    ~You have to start somewhere to get anywhere~

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ScrappinRed for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yes, he could still leave the negative, but I'd think there would be a good chance that eBay would strike it due to extortion/unreasonable demands

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

First Ebay Hiccup

you have to worry about the big picture and not sweat the little stuff regardless of right or wrong. use that time to attract the next motherload

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 650 Posts
    Here's some account stats from my Ebay adventure.

1.5% of packages never arrive.

Of the packages that do arrive 1% arrive damaged.

Of all the packages that I send that arrive undamaged, 2% will have some sort of flaw as a result of transit. (Memory is almost always the issue, despite shipping in a hard case...more and more I think it needs to be hermetically sealed from now on.

So already...of all the merch sold almost 5% never arrives in good working order. These things are handled easily enough. But then there's the one in a hundred buyers who can't read the listing all the way to the bottom and have no idea what they are buying...why? Because almost a third of all buyers use the EBAY APP on their phone to do all the purchasing and treat it like amazon...that everything will always be new and pretty when it shows up. These people are ever increasing in numbers unfortunately with more money then sense. Shift fire and change the way you list things, as mechanic already said.
    WI ITAD LLC, IT Liquidation Services, we remarket, buy and sell scrap electronics No customer too large or small!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrappinRed View Post
    ...or you could give the refund and he could STILL ding you with negative. Giving a refund does not necessarily ensure you won't get negative feedback
    I would ask for the person to AGREE to the terms of my refund via emial...ie I will refund and in doing so he agrees to no list any feedback on the transaction. That gives me ammo to get Ebay to remove it if he does it anyways.

Either way, I would not back down...I tend to fight back by using the my TOS and Ebays remedies to my advantage. I have gotten 1 or 2 negatives, but I just gave a thorough rebuttal and didn't give a crap. My rating is still somewhere in the 98-99%, so I won't sweat it.

IMO of course...I just don't take getting extorted lightly and I don't put up with it.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to webuyselltradestuff for This Post:

34. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Everything Ebay - General Ebay Discussions - Copper head
      By Copper Head in forum Ebay Traders
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 03-09-2014, 12:33 PM
    2. Everything Ebay - General Ebay Discussions - Copper head
      By Copper Head in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 03-09-2014, 12:09 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information