cpu

| E-Waste Grading and Identification
    petehart started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

cpu

Can anyone identify this cpu from an old dell latitude laptop and that piece with the eight points...is that gold also?...im hopin..lol

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    without seeing the other side looks like a ceramic pentium cpu and the pins there look like gold or brass - gold pins on the cpu.

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,450 Posts
    The underside markings almost look like a Cyrix MII to me??? I didn't think they were used in laptops, though. Do you have a photo of the top side?
    More than Scrap Value Shipment Tips: http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/scrap...tml#post242349

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Going by the pin grid it's a 80486.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matador View Post
    The underside markings almost look like a Cyrix MII to me??? I didn't think they were used in laptops, though. Do you have a photo of the top side?
    I thought Cyrix's were thicker then that and they did use them in a couple of 286 laptops(I had a 286 Toshiba that had one).

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    It's been a while since I've seen a Cyrix CPU- the pin grid is definitely for a 486. That socket was used by manufactures other than Intel, though. The writing looked Cyrix to me, but I couldn't find much information on 486-equipped Dell laptops. Back then, there was a lot of diversity, though.

Whatever it is, that is a pretty valuable processor.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to matador for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 676 Posts
    It does look like a Cyrix M2. I've got one in the shop. The pin grid on mine is different but the overall design looks about the same.

Mine weighs about 1/10th of a pound which is heavy for a processor. I think they're paying around 35.00$/lb for them these days ?

Figure the scrap value of the processor as being 3.50 $ ?

Hard to say what the value might be on the vintage re-sale market. It's a niche market and you have to know what the collectors are interested in. Some are collectable and others they don't seem to move on ebay very well.

------------

Just wondering .... what was the other thing pictured. Maybe some kind of heat sink ? Looks like the green board had gold traces. Would that grade as telecom ? Maybe a few 100ths of a pound ?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrappah for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    For potential resale, you'll need the model number and the socket type. It looks like a 486 to me, but I could be off. Once you know that, you can see if it's worth anything there. Some Cyrix stuff has collector value, though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to matador for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Cpu

This is the rest of the boards from the laptop...the cpu is black ceramic with a metal heatsink on the back...heavy...the boards have a lot of ic chips...gold teeth and tanti's...still dont know about that 8 pin thing

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Cpu

Black ceramic cpu with 8 pointed object
    Attached Images Attached Images  

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 676 Posts
    It looks like a re-post of the original pic. If you could flip the processor over and send in a pic that would tell us more about it.

If you look at the circuit board on the right hand side .... look at where the screw went through at the very bottom. It looks like that board might have a gold trace. ( They're more often copper. ) It's like a very thin foil made into the layers of the green board. It's about like gold leaf. There's not a lot of gold there, but, it is more likely a higher grade of board.

The eight pointed thing underneath ? No idea what it is or what it does. The metal pointy things might have a thin gold plating on the outside. You can tell if it's plated by taking a grinder or file to it. You'll be able to see the base metal underneath.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrappah for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The part on the right looks like it could have been part of an old Dell four pin docking station. The dock had four spring loaded pins like on the left side of the pic you posted.

17. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Abuilder:

Thread Information