| Introduce yourself
    Gennyred started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Hi Guys!
    I'm brand new to this forum, although I've been lurking since almost it's inception.
    I got interested several years ago when I had a new garage built and decided to see if I could get anything for the aluminum siding I stripped off the old one.
    The reason i got interested was, I worked for a local brewery (Genesee) and they were buying all new barrels (kegs) and scrapping the old ones (all aluminum).
    As a driver for the company, I took them to the local scrap yard.
    I didn't think they were getting much for them. Just thought maybe it was a little better than paying a landfill to take them.
    Anyway, I filled my pickup truck with what I took off the garage, thinking I could get maybe $20 bucks or so.
    To my surprise, at the time aluminum sheet was .30 a pound and paid me $125!
    I've been retired for 5 years now, and thought I'd get get into it again, thanks in no small part to the encouraging words I've heard in this forum.
    I wish I'd started sooner because I had no idea the prices paid were so high right now, and it looks like that's not going to change any time soon.
    More to come!
    Terry (Gennyred)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Welcome Terry!

I'm new here as well - and I honestly think I've read every single thread and post so far, haha! So much good info here. I literally can't get enough.

Anyway, speaking of aluminum siding, I was driving back from my grandfather's house today and took a trip down an alley in the middle of town. To my surprise, someone had just got finished tearing down one of those small aluminum sheds. So I stick my head out the window, quick introduction and went for the kill..."hey, you mind if I take that off your hands?" The guy not only said yes, but he was thrilled that he didn't have to mess with it (he wasn't sure what he was going to do with it!). Quick $50 for about 10 minutes of loading it into my truck.

This is one addictive activity! Best of luck to you!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hi Terry,
    Welcome Aboard !!, read read read and let it all soak in thats about all i can say, i joined a few months ago and boy i learned so much its still sinking in, also guys if you are very into this and want to learn alot more i suggest you become a member @ the scrap room 9its on the main page) its a small $20 fee for the year, i just joined today and i have alot more reading and soaking in to do, but ill tell you what my small investment just paid fo itself in the few threads i just read. Good luck guys keep us posted on your adventures.
    Dan (jerseyscrapper)
    *i have scrap metal running through my blood and i love it*

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyscrapper View Post
    Hi Terry,
    ....... also guys if you are very into this and want to learn alot more i suggest you become a member @ the scrap room 9its on the main page) its a small $20 fee for the year, i just joined today and i have alot more reading and soaking in to do, but ill tell you what my small investment just paid fo itself in the few threads i just read. Good luck guys keep us posted on your adventures.
    Dan (jerseyscrapper)
    There are actual threads there? The main forum page shows zero threads and zero posts so I never considered joining.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadowview View Post
    There are actual threads there? The main forum page shows zero threads and zero posts so I never considered joining.
    Yep there's a ton of good stuff in there. A bunch of good info, definitely recommend it. Theres a private discussion section too, aside from the straight up ideas and strategies which is pretty cool.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks!

7. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. new member
      By mickey1029 in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 07-29-2012, 12:21 PM
    2. New U.K member
      By vulture in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 07-03-2012, 07:05 AM