New Need Advice

| General - Let's talk business
    rhz5001 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

New Need Advice

Basically I am hurting with jobs right now, and I decided to start scrapping. I am new to the scrapping game.

I decided to start driving through neighborhoods on garbage night. So far I haven't found a large or valuable amount of metals. One night I found a grill some various other light iron. Another night I found a desktop, some light iron, and a small motor. I have varied some times, and found mixed success.

Is it possible for me to make about 300 a week just on garbage routes?

I just posted a few tear off sheets with my email, name, and phone number and listed what I was looking for. I think I am going to start driving around in my truck, and talk to people who have a fair amount of metal laying around.

Like I mentioned before, I am hurting right now.. I really need this to work out to be a profitable venture. I have read and reread the posts on this forum.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum. I believe most of your srap will come from looking for it. Trying to get your name out there like you mentioned. I find more from driving around and asking people if they want some jumk hauled off for them, then i do from a garbage night.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhz5001 View Post
    ...Is it possible for me to make about 300 a week just on garbage routes? ...
    Depends on where you are and the type of neighborhood (rural, metropolitan etc) but probably not. How about going around to repair shops (auto, HVAC etc) and ask if you can have their scrap if you keep the area uncluttered? Sell it as you're providing them a service and your payment is what you get for their scrap metal. Tear off sheets might work, but think up a company name and get yourself some business cards. Present yourself as professional; not some yokel with your hat in your hand trying to make a couple of nickles. This is your BUSINESS and your livelihood, just like auto repair is his.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    do not underestimate the value of just stopping and talking to people when you see stuff laying around. If they do not want to get rid of the stuff, they may know someone that has some stuff. Be professional and friendly, and the rewards will come.

I do have to say that it does take a bit of time to build up these relationships around town, but they will come.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    For the people who go around to shops, stores etc. looking for new accounts, how often do you get a yes from the person in charge?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have been making an average of $350-400 per week.. This week I managed to do $465 + I sold about $95 worth of stuff on ebay just this week...
    When you are out looking for stuff, dont forget to grab stuff you can make a buck on on eBay or Craigslist... Old TVs if its not a busy street I can usually get the back off with a swift kick and have the wires and copper off the tube in less than a minute...

may I also suggest doing what I do... drive around in the afternoon when alot of people are not home and look at the top of the driveways by the garage or near their garbage pails... take note of the address and then plan your route and go back after 6pm when most people are home... I did this one day for an hour and located 10 batteries.. when I went to all of the houses I knocked on the door and said " Hi, I noticed you have an old dead car battery by your garage, would you like to get rid of it " all of them gave them to me... One guy had another in his garage as well as 2 brass radiators ! .. Another guy yelled to his neighbor and his neighbor gave me 2 batteries too.... Just keep plugging away... a good haul is $45-50 for the average garbage night scrapper... which to me is good pay for the 2-3 hours invested...

7. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by nyjetsfanx93:

8. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Need some urgent cellphone advice and shipping advice
      By mascraps in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 08-26-2012, 08:07 AM
    2. Some Advice Please
      By Bull0525 in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 04-22-2012, 08:08 PM
    3. Help! Need some advice....
      By Big Tex in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers