How would you handle this?

| General - Let's talk business
    matt018 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

How would you handle this?

Alright so im out with my dad on a trashnight. just doing my thing I see some aluminum patio furnature, hop out of the truck while my dad is behind the wheel, then there is a beat to heck ford ranger behind me with one old guy getting out the passenger side and another old guy getting out the drivers side, And he says we are taking this, now I havnt ran in to anything like this before. so i pop my head in to the cab of my truck and tell my dad this and hes like i dont think so and then gets out and the one old guy was on his way accros the street to the chairs, and says he talked to the guy before hand, well i call BS on that part because if he did they wouldnt be out in the trash, I mean they were obviously behind us we were on the street first. I mean I should have just been like no we were here first and waved for my dad, but im not sure. I had allot on my mind and have been grinding between school and scrapping since saturday with about 5 hours sleep each night. so i wasnt thinking the clearest so really I just want to know what would you have done, and what should i do in the future? cuz im pretty ticked about this.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Simple stuff man. Think about it like this: Is a bit of aluminum worth yer name in the future?

I try to look at it like that. Basically, if somebody that was driving by, or a neighbor of theirs, saw that, they might form bad opinions about you/yer company by not knowing the full story.

Best piece of advice in the future, if someone walks up and says "I talked the the owner" Just say yer piece, and walk away. If you have the chance, talk to the owner right then. But im assuming it was at night so that was out of the question.

Dont sweat the small stuff bud. Even though it hurts ya right now, theirs always somethin else out there. Keep yer head up!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    No matter what, you will find all types everywhere. NOT worth a confrontation.

matt018 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Alright, cuz i mean thats the thing, i did find about 6 of the same chair types and we already had an almost full truck by the time these guys showed up, so you pretty much would have done the same?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I wouldnt have argued with them like yall did. I honestly wouldve just laughed, and said you can have em. Chalk it up to arrogant white trash. (Not you, them)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    two scappers can share one pile or dumpster.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trashman View Post
    two scappers can share one pile or dumpster.
    This is true. I would've taken a glance towards the back of their truck and seen how they were doing that night. Depending on whether they had less or about the same I'd either just let 'em have it or see about splittin it up. But if they had more and I was there first then there might be a problem. Although since they had supposedly spoke with the owner about it it'd be a little iffy. If it was too late at night to talk to the people that put it out I'd back off of it. You just never know if they might be telling the truth and you don't wanna be labeled a thief by just taking it anyway. It all depends on the situation.
    Eat. Sleep. Scrap.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I came upon a grill right as another scrapper I see regularly was approaching it. With no hesitation he said,”I’ll flip you for it.” I was impressed by this. No bullying or posturing. I let him take it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrap Master J for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    With some of the stories lately about people being shot over scrap, well, you get the picture.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    If my truck was there first then its mine. But keep in the back of your mind some people have guns an or they will use a bat. Just keep a watchful eye out for the "crazy" people.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Everyone knows if they had claimed it, it would not be sitting out by the road. I'd say, "really? What's the homeowner's name?" That might just be enough to throw them off and to drive off. If not, I'd probably let them have it to avoid a confrontation in a residential neighborhood. That just looks bad for everyone.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    01GTB, have you introduced yourself ? Can you please go to the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself. If you already have, I missed it. Thanks

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think I would have just let them take it and moved on. There are some truly crazy people out there, not worth risking life and limb over some aluminum.

15. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Customer relations- how would you handle this?
      By HLH&R Metals Recycling in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 12-26-2014, 05:45 PM
    2. For California Scrappers: "Intent to handle e-waste" notification for the DTSC
      By mrsamsonite in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM
    3. what is the best way to handle big loads ?
      By EcoSafe in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 05-13-2012, 10:18 PM

Thread Information