Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ChildhoodDream started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Vintage and obsolete computers and software

Now I don't know a lot about computers beyond the basics.

I notice that there are many buyers wanting computer related items.

I would presume that most of it is items that are still widely used and not obsolete? And computer items that are beyond use for most that have precious metals and such?

I ask as most of the computer items I have are over 15 years old. Some going back a ways. I have boxes of the software for many of the older systems also as I knew that it had a great possibility of future value as it is the software that many tossed in the trash years before. I'm amazed at the prices that older electronics packaging, instructions and such can bring with the collectors.

So what are people scrapping and what is being put aside for more then scrap values?

Is there a bit of a math to it?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 471 Posts
    Ah, your question is a good one. There are many ways to go about it. Figuring out what to scrap and what to keep is tricky and depends on your storage situation and the need to make money now or later. In my case it also depends on how many times this week my wife has opened a closet, cabinet, etc, to have stuff fall out at her feet.

Here's how I currently work it. The newest stuff I get that is still being widely used, I try to resell or part out. What doesn't sell in a week or two gets scrapped out. The older but not vintage computers get scrapped as soon as I get them. A general rule is the older the computer, the more precious metals it has in it. Not always but close.

Computers from the 80s and anything different like portables or gaming stuff, I store for later.

The software is hit and miss. Some like old Apple stuff has almost a cult following and sells easily. Other things don't sell at all yet. Lots of software isn't made anymore, but I can't keep everything, so the trick is figuring out what may be valuable later.

3. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Pnutfarmer:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I will buy it all for $1

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Space and room is not much of a problem for me. The biggest problem is having nice dry storage and work areas. I have been making progress in that direction over the last couple of years.

When it comes to salvage and scrap concepts for me at this TIME. I'm mostly collecting up the required information so that when I do come across the many treasures buried under and behind the shred and dread around the yard. I can better know what to do with them at the TIME.

When you are older and slower in tower, you have to have a larger and faster hard drive.

I do find the vintage computers and electronics interesting as I always found such things artful in their own ways.

Part of the reason that I think the steampunk movement is interesting. It is about vintage style art. Perfect for the walls and elsewhere in a TIME capsule.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by travistemple202020 View Post
    I will buy it all for $1
    I bid $2.00 for the lot

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChildhoodDream for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Oh man I wished I lived next door to you!!!!
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    IT scrap is a whole new world within the scrap universe. Your question has many answers depending on what you have exactly. there are hundreds of old threads dealing with IT scrap. over in the index page you well find chapters dedicated to just your situation.

I and others will be happy to answer any questions not found there if we can,
    "anyone who thinks scrappin is easy money ain't doin it right!"

10. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by EcoSafe:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I would check Ebay complete listings before scrapping anything older.
    ~You have to start somewhere to get anywhere~

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ScrappinRed for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChildhoodDream View Post

I would presume that most of it is items that are still widely used and not obsolete? And computer items that are beyond use for most that have precious metals and such?

I ask as most of the computer items I have are over 15 years old. Some going back a ways. I have boxes of the software for many of the older systems also as I knew that it had a great possibility of future value as it is the software that many tossed in the trash years before. I'm amazed at the prices that older electronics packaging, instructions and such can bring with the collectors.

So what are people scrapping and what is being put aside for more then scrap values?

The collectable stuff is old and obsolete for modern tasks. Software does have value to some people (like me) but it depends on what you have. There is no book you can buy to know what is valuable and what is not. Best thing to do is take pictures or come up with a list (or both).

14. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by unknownk:

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,450 Posts
    It'll depend on the buyer. What I buy is for putting in computers that I refurbish and resell.

There is a market for some of the really old computers.

The stuff in-between is usually worthless, though. My rule of thumb is that for refurbishing, a computer cannot be older than 8 years (If it was highly equipped for the day). Under 4-5 years old is ideal.

If it's older than 20 years, there may be a market. There really isn't much you can do with the 10-15 year old computers, though.

16. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by matador:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChildhoodDream View Post

That is the million dollar question. A great place to start as a reference is to check out the buyers sections to see what all of us buy. Really anything could be put to reuse, I sometimes can sell vintage/collectible mid 80s computer parts but sales are a slow trickle in that area. It all comes down to what is economical, i.e. How long and how much will it cost you to confirm the functionality of a component and get it into an end user's hands.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmarro89 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I thank all for the replies and advice.

What I was mostly curious about was basically answered by your replies.

I'm in no rush to do much with the computer stuff I have as I have other things to do that interest me more.

I'm working on my plan for getting as much accomplished as can be around the yard with the least physical effort and TIME restraints.

I have old computers and such stored away in many a old van, bus or trailer. I will be sorting through many of those areas this year as I have the pathways cleared now,

I posted this mostly out of curiosity of what people were buying and selling around here. If it was mostly items that were newer or out right scrap. I found my curiosity satisfied and questions answered well enough by the replies I received.I see the lists of computer parts and such and it could just as well be in Chinese for what I understand about it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 516 Posts
    It would seem logical any IT stuff some day will have a cult fan base . Just how long will it take ?
    The actions of most scrappers should help to establish future value . As dissembling and recycling to
    PM's help make what survives rarer

Maybe I should reconsider as I find tons of software

21. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Copper Head:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper Head View Post
    It would seem logical any IT stuff some day will have a cult fan base . Just how long will it take ?
    The actions of most scrappers should help to establish future value . As dissembling and recycling to
    PM's help make what survives rarer

Maybe I should reconsider as I find tons of software
    You can actually sell the vintage (mids 80s and earlier) clone computer cases for up to $40 each! Reason being is they are hard to come by, lots of scrappers and refining operations have since recycled a good amount of these cases. They are desirable because of their spacious interior so a refurbisher can max out on add on cards. I have managed to sell 5 in the last 2 months, not enough to run a business but enough to put on the side when you'd probably only get about $2 at steel prices today.

23. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mmarro89:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    A client of mine has been piling old computer stuff on me, one thing I got last night was a Radio Shack Portable Computer. If the guy hadn't pointed it out to me, I might have thought it was a really big calculator! It take AA batteries! LOL. I think it's hilarious that it's about the same size and weight as a laptop now but all it could do was display 2 or 3 lines of text! I can't wait to show my kids! It's older than me!
    METAL IS MY MISTRESS...PLEASE DON'T TELL MY WIFE!

25. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by AdmiralAluminum:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Keep in mind that the stuff that is recyclable (parted out) you should set on till the computer scrap prices rebound some. My first sale way back the motherboards would bring over $4.00 a lb (4.60 to be exact). Now we're lucky if we get $1.00 a lb. That's just one example. Same with all the other parts and pieces.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

27. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have never liked having to be in a rush as mistakes can happen and I learned many years ago the you NEVER get caught up. So I don't bother trying to get caught up as just the idea of it makes me tired.

I like being able to choose and decide what I want to do with my days and nights in as comfortable and reasonable of ways and means as is possible.

My place has been long ago paid for and I have no debt and such. That was the plan from the early years. I figured that if I worked hard, saved and invested that I could work my way up to property of enough size to suit my needs. I owned different smaller properties in small towns over the years that I would fix up and either rent out or trade or sell and invest in more.

I figured that if I didn't have any debt that it would be easier to Live and survive the road of Life as it moves along.

I was never in a rush as I preferred the pace of the tortoise in the story of the tortoise and the hare. You never get caught up as TIME is mostly a illusion. Einstein agreed on that.

I mostly view my place as a TIME capsule that I can work and play around in. I find it works well for me so far. But I'm getting older and downsizing seems a good idea.

A mini salvage yard with my favorite things would suit me well in the near future I believe.

At least I have a plan that moves forward, even if it is at the pace of a excited tortoise.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 676 Posts
    Humm .... i think there's a difference between scrapping & hoarding. Some things have practical value. Some things (like a vintage computer) have sentimental value.

There is a market for things that have sentimental value but you have to keep in mind that the objective is to make profit ASAP. If these things sit around too long you're apt to get emotionally attached to them. The clutter starts to pile up and after awhile it's heart wrenching to part with any of it.

The profit motive is lost in favor of something else.

30. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Scrappah:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I tried looking up information on hoarding a few years back and found that there was nothing good said about it in popular society.

I have always been a collector, salvager and hoarder of surplus. I find that the way that I Live works well enough for me. I always have something to keep me as busy as I choose to be and now and then I end up a bit more busy then I care for, but I handle it as that is a part of Life.

I just started working on cleaning and sorting on the yard a few years ago and slowly worked my way into areas of the yard that I hadn't been in for 15 years or so. It was a bit over grown with brush and small trees. Why hadn't I been in some parts of the yard in so many years? Because as I hauled vehicles and other items home it kept getting more in the back as I worked my way filling the areas between the road and the back of the property with more vehicles and other salvage. It got to where I had plenty to keep me busy up front and had no real need to go out in the back of the yard. Out of sight out of mind basically.

Now that I have cleared the pathways and such I started to see all the things that I had all but forgot about. I don't bother much with trying to sell things as I have to be interested enough to put the TIME and thought into that direction. If people I know ask me if I have something and I know where it is I will make a deal with them.

Since all I have is paid for, I don't have to be in a rush to do something with it. The salvage yard with it's vehicles and piles of scrap type items and such is all just gravy on top of the potatoes that sit next to the steak and veggies. I have a full coarse meal going on simply put. I can nibble on this and nibble on that and take my TIME at it.

That was the plan from the start. Do the hard work and long hours when younger so I could relax more when getting older. I have a blast from the past here as I do enjoy the scenery and perks.

Part of the reason that I joined this forum is to see if I might find a means of getting rid of some of my hoard and collections.

It all takes TIME and energy and a few cold bottles of beer now and then.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ChildhoodDream for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 676 Posts
    I was just making an observation that there's a difference between a collector and a scrapper. Different motivations and all .....

Not passing judgment on someone else's lifestyle ! " And it harm none, do as thou wilt " is my motto. Having the freedom to choose how you want to live is one of the things that makes this country great.

Time and entropy are important considerations. Once you get past fifty there are far more days behind you than there are ahead of you. Every day gone past is one less that you will never get back. ( They're in limited supply ! )

Entropy is another factor .... see everything that was ever put together is slowly falling apart. That's an important consideration when storing electronics because they only have a certain amount of time. They generally figure that electronic storage media might have a shelf life of ten or fifteen years. After that it becomes unreliable. It's the same with electronics. The caps on a mainboard start shifting out of specified range with age. After awhile it just stops working.

All the more reason to keep things moving through the shop.

34. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Scrappah:

35. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Vintage computers: What do you think of these?
      By mrsamsonite in forum Vintage Electronics
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 03-01-2024, 04:44 AM
    2. Vintage Software and manuals
      By BumpRacerX in forum Vintage Electronics
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 05-26-2014, 05:45 PM
    3. vintage software
      By mikeinreco in forum SMF Member Listings
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 04-01-2014, 11:44 AM
    4. vintage software