Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ozzy214 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

my experiment is failing.?..

For last three weeks, I have been buying vehicles at 8c lb or little higher. I have been dismantling them and listing parts on eBay. I'm not having any luck selling any parts whatsoever. I was a mech for years, so I have a fair idea what is good and bad. I actually have more luck locally selling parts. On eBay no dice. But from what am I selling I'm barely breaking even. But for ****s and giggles I have been listing computer parts and they are selling. I don't get it. Im listing things much cheaper than the other places. Like for a example, I have a awd transmission from a Venture. Kinda rare. Tested and good. Everybody else wants 800, I got mine listed at 400 with 150 freight. No bites, bids, etc. I'm at the point where after trailer rental, fuel, labor, its just not profitable. Their is far easier work. Like buying and listing laptops on eBay. Any ideas!

2. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by ozzy214:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 Times in 1,877 Posts
    You mentioned in another thread about a new ebay account. I'm wondering if that might be the issue.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jimicrk for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ya I'm wondering that too.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It could be your new account or it could be that people are not using ebay right now for car parts. There is a local business close to me that does what you do. They started about 20 years ago and now grew into a multi-million dollar company. They started off selling local and then with word of mouth they started to spread.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    I also sell computer parts. I look at the "sold" listings to determine if I want to list something or not. If the item I'm looking at hasn't sold a lot then I will tend towards the lower price. If the item sells well then I list at the high side of sold items.

If the item has no recent sales but has listings that seem extremely high I list at a much lower price and run listing for 10 days and after a month reevaluate. (This is the only time I list lower than the other listings.

Much of what I sell is also computer parts but I feel certain that auto parts have some similarities when selling on ebay. I mostly use buy it now without the "make an offer" feature. I think the buy it now automaticly lowers the value of what you are selling.

When I use auctions I start at the least I want to get none of the $0.99 starting price for me. Many times I've seen the $0.99 start backfire on the seller and them not getting enough to cover shipping.

I suggest you do more research on the auto parts. Mike
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

8. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by miked:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    it is kinda slow right now for my sales as well.........Could be the time of year

10. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by mikeinreco:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think when it comes down to it, computers and electronics will always well better then anything else unless you're able to get vehicles for cheap and turn them around to make a profit at the junk yard. In my own experiences with ebay, people are picky(and sometimes aren't afraid to tell you so). Just my 2 cents on the matter.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I for one wouldn't ever buy a high dollar, heavy car part on EBay. return shipping would be killer should it need to be returned

13. The Following User Says Thank You to smashing for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    This is true smashing.. But some of the units are hard to come by. Mostly I'm sticking to smalls. But nothing is selling. I made like 49 bucks since yesterday and it was all computer parts. Most of the heavy iron is being sold locally.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 600 Posts
    You ever consider core buyers?
    I know we have at least one here.located in pa.
    Don't know where your located.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to junkfreak for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 676 Posts
    Maybe try to get better insight into your (potential ) customer base ? Figure out better ways of marketing to them ?

I'll offer myself up for experimentation. Maybe it will help ? Maybe some of the others here could offer their view as well ?

I'm a shade tree mechanic. Here are some of my characteristics.

1: I tried buying used parts on line years ago and that didn't work well at all. The seller was completely useless. I had to threaten him with legal action and when he finally did send the parts they didn't fit.

2: I don't have a shop so all of my work is done outdoors. The working conditions are horrible right now ( -15 F. with the wind chill ) so any repairs that can be put off till spring will wait till then. Definitely won't get into and major repairs like a motor or transmission.

3: Money is always tight this time of year. I won't be in the " mood " to spend on anything but the bare essentials till spring. It's entirely different in the spring. The sun is shining and the birds are singing. Better days have returned and i'm eager to take on projects.

4: I generally aim to get five years out of a used car or truck. It's expected that common repair parts will need to be replaced but i only want to do the job once. It's hit or miss when buying new parts because the quality of the stuff at the parts store isn't what it used to be. If i were going to consider buying used parts the price would have 50% less than new with shipping included.

5: I'm not that patient. I'm looking for the parts to be available the same day that i need them. I will tolerate next day delivery if it's something that generally isn't a stock item.

6: Definitely don't want to fiddle dub around with all of that bidding nonsense on e-bay. That could drag on for days and you still wouldn't get the part you need. Complete waste of time.

7: Keep It Simple Sam. No games with the price. Buy it now along with shipping costs let's me decide whether or not i want it.

8: If i were looking for used parts on line i would be more likely to choose a web site that specializes in that one thing. There are a few that have the ability to tap into the stock available in recycling yards all across the country.

9: My first priority is to get the job done right the first time and then move on to the next thing. Not everyone is like me though. Some guys at a lower level of income are really tight with the bucks. Cost is the first and only concern so to market to them you have to keep the price really low.

10: I generally buy the most commonly available vehicles (Ford & Chevy) because they're the easiest to get repair parts for. There's little or no need for rare -or- hard to find parts.

~ Just a few thoughts for whatever they are worth ~

18. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Scrappah:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ok good advice. Thanks guys. I do have a core buyer, bbut why sell a 50 used alternator for 3 bucks?? Only thing i sell to the core buyer is cats.

Maybe yall can go through my auctions and let me know you what you think

Lot of DDR 2 RAM 5 2 Gig Sticks 1 4 GB Stick PC6400 Laptop RAM | eBay

Also I hear ya on weather. It was like 10 degrees yesterday in a snow storm and I was ripping a motor, trans out. Had to to get done, because buyers coming for engine and trans monday. Still got to seperate the bell, pull harness, and stuff like the alts, etc. But minus 10 stopped me today. Been playing on ebay all day. Tomorrow got to git r done lol. No more car stripping till spring for me. Last one.,

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ozzy214 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Descriptions could be better

needs more info in description..take a look at simialr sold items for best wording of title and tweak it into your own words

pictures - need more pictures and better quality pictures. listings with more photos will be listed towards the top in search results. Also better quality of photos so buyer has a clear visual representation of what they will receive

better description - give all necessaary info pertaining to motor size, year,, and other important info ( was it removed from running car, was it tested) as well as items current condition

space out listing so its not a big run on sentence. easier to read = more sales

make notice of hassle free returns

most importantly get the feedback up. with a low number you have to pay your dues and build up buyer trust. you can help do this by buying several .99 ebooks. most of the time you get immediate positive feedback. could be money very well spent in exchange for higher feedback. Everyone has to pay their dues

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,450 Posts
    You're low feedback is killing you. There is no way that I'd buy a $400 transmission from someone with a feedback rating of 1. I agree on buying feedback. It doesn't make you any more reputable, but it will make people more confident. On eBay, that's huge.

Two: Descriptions. They need to be longer. I have four lines of description on my RAM listings.

Three: Picture Backing. I switched to taking photos on my woodgrain desk, and sales went up. I kid you not. The dark background may be hurting there.

Computer parts can definitely sell on eBay. I listed 38 items this month, and 36 of them sold for my price. I actually think that a BIN adds value. People will pay for auctions. When I bid on anything, I will only bid up to the BIN amount for the cheapest BIN listing.

Just my $0.02

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy214 View Post
    Ok good advice. Thanks guys. I do have a core buyer, bbut why sell a 50 used alternator for 3 bucks?? Only thing i sell to the core buyer is cats.

Maybe yall can go through my auctions and let me know you what you think

Lot of DDR 2 RAM 5 2 Gig Sticks 1 4 GB Stick PC6400 Laptop RAM | eBay

Also I hear ya on weather. It was like 10 degrees yesterday in a snow storm and I was ripping a motor, trans out. Had to to get done, because buyers coming for engine and trans monday. Still got to seperate the bell, pull harness, and stuff like the alts, etc. But minus 10 stopped me today. Been playing on ebay all day. Tomorrow got to git r done lol. No more car stripping till spring for me. Last one.,
    I actually need those sticks of memory....I sent you an offer and message thru ebay if you want to sell immediatly

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinreco View Post
    I actually need those sticks of memory....I sent you an offer and message thru ebay if you want to sell immediatly
    I responded with a counteroffer of 55. If you want it, I will redo the auction. Thanks for the advise. Will play around and see what I can do.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 529 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy214 View Post
    For last three weeks, I have been buying vehicles at 8c lb or little higher. I have been dismantling them and listing parts on eBay. I'm not having any luck selling any parts whatsoever. I was a mech for years, so I have a fair idea what is good and bad. I actually have more luck locally selling parts. On eBay no dice. But from what am I selling I'm barely breaking even. But for ****s and giggles I have been listing computer parts and they are selling. I don't get it. Im listing things much cheaper than the other places. Like for a example, I have a awd transmission from a Venture. Kinda rare. Tested and good. Everybody else wants 800, I got mine listed at 400 with 150 freight. No bites, bids, etc. I'm at the point where after trailer rental, fuel, labor, its just not profitable. Their is far easier work. Like buying and listing laptops on eBay. Any ideas!
    A few pointers if I may:

First, someone else has already suggested this:

Quote Originally Posted by jimicrk View Post
    You mentioned in another thread about a new ebay account. I'm wondering if that might be the issue.
    Ebay is a community set up to rate itself. Those that conduct business in a way the community decides is worthy of it, benefit from people who have done business with them and post it as being a positive experience.

If you do not have these positive results, people will feel a bit concerned about spending $400 dollars with you, when they could spend more with someone else that has good ratings, and be sure of a quality part or if not a return. Specially when it has to do with car parts which notoriously fail if used and not refurbished.

There is a way to overcome this deficit, and while I am on the fence about using this method, if you are a honest person who honestly will treat your customers in the way they should be, it's not a bad way to gain that acceptance as a seller. What you do is this.

Find listings for items that are .99 cents each. Buy 50-100 of these items. Post a positive response when you receive these items as the seller will do the same. This will gain you enough stars on your ebay to start with.

Post on craigslist that you have auctions, post in many different cities

Try posting in different ways. When someone posts a car part for half as much as someone else, it might lead me to believe that one part is better than the other. Perhaps try posting it for more, and then clicking the "or best offer" option so people can make you offers that you then can either accept or not. The best offer option will also lead people to believe you are pliable on the pricing, which is better than they believing you are set on your price. In the end you will probably make more on each part. Try setting the item for an auction, make the auction end on a Saturday or Sunday when people are usually browsing Ebay. Give the auction a "buy it now" price just below the price of others so that people have the option of buying it right then, instead of waiting till the auction ends. Many times if the person really wants the item and someone else bid on it, they will take the buy it now option if below what others are selling the same part for.

Hope this helps some

Scott
    At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new. This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

26. The Following User Says Thank You to NobleMetalWorks for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 650 Posts
    I wanted to touch on car parts selling on ebay. I don't do it, but I'm on a facebook group with several members who regularly hit up the local junkyards cherry picking lsx parts. (GM gen three and four v8s) If you want to sell car parts and make something of it...do research on what modders and such consider valuable. I used to think good versions of commonly failed parts would sell well. They don't...nobody wants to put the same OEM part on, a used one I might add, that has a history of failure. That's what rock auto is for.

high value cores are good, computers, abs modules things of that nature, Airbag modules from cars who's bags DID NOT deploy always sell. stranger things I notice that sell...window switches, gm cd players...its a finite list of good sellers thats for sure. If your trying to offload alternators and starters the idea is it came from a particularly rare car, like a 300zx or is sufficiently awesome, such as the large diameter alternator for the cummins motor which costs 400 bucks reman.
    WI ITAD LLC, IT Liquidation Services, we remarket, buy and sell scrap electronics No customer too large or small!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think with the car parts you will be better off listing on craigslist, unless its a rare or desirable part.
    My fortune cookie said:
    You discover treasures where others see nothing unusual.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 635 Posts
    A couple of years ago when I was doing cars I listed parts or sale on evilbay. Never got a single bite, and I was selling smalls like mirrors, lights, radios, trim, etc.
    Burly Smash![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    John Terrell (248) 224-2188
    Burly Guys Junk Removal LLC
    5499 Perry Drive Unit P Waterford, MI 48329
    http://www.burlyguys.com

30. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. My $500 experiment...
      By DakotaRog in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 48
      Last Post: 05-03-2017, 03:46 PM
    2. My ebay experiment Year One
      By mikeinreco in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 63
      Last Post: 03-11-2014, 12:18 AM
    3. Cleaning RAMBUS experiment results
      By CanIScrapIt in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 10-15-2012, 03:15 PM
    4. Today's experiment: cleaning boards with a grinder.
      By EcoSafe in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 03-16-2012, 01:39 AM
    5. Wire striping experiment-not worth it
      By NoMoreScrapLeft in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: 01-13-2012, 07:58 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information