Computer value.

| Computer Recycling
    xiphos started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Computer value.

Hello everyone. I have been hanging out on this forum for a while now and decided to register and read these threads as a member.

I was hoping someone could help me out here. I have come across a seller who is selling computer towers for $5 a price. I don't know what the specs are, but they seem to be the dell towers that every call center in America has been using for the past decade. I believe they are Dell 520's. Do you think these towers would be worth my time and energy at $5 a piece?

Thanks for you time in advance.

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,450 Posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to matador for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    If they are complete and not missing anything you can make money at $5. your going to want to look for resellable parts to max your profits though.

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,450 Posts
    PTS is right. If scrap RAM is worth $0.50 per stick, and there are two sticks per computer, that's $1 worth of RAM.

If that same computer has 2 1GB sticks of DDR2, that's $2.50 worth of RAM. Big difference.

The Dell OptiPlex GX520 will likely be fairly stripped down, though. The GX620s were the more premium product in their time.

But, you never know. I once opened a Dimension E510 (A Basic machine) to find dual 500GB hard drives and 4GB of RAM.

Depending on the number of systems, I'd give it a shot... if nothing else just to get your feet wet.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to matador for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    If you can re-sell any of the parts you will be making more profit than straight scrapping. I buy only with the idea I have to buy so I know I will profit by scrapping. So my advise is to try to determine how many does he have, why does he have them, is he desperate to get rid of them.

Make a counter offer that will make you happy. Always be prepared to walk away from a deal. As it has been talked about before missing items lowers the price. Best of luck, Mike
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

8. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by miked:

Thread Information