turtlejuice started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Do's and don'ts of scrapping crt monitors and tvs

When I used to scrap with a guy years ago he would just bust out the screens and the yard would take them as whatever they consider the bulk metal when you just empty out your truck. Not sure if all yards do this. But reading now on what I should do, is there something illegal about breaking the screens? Also, how worried do I have to be about getting shocked? I have always heard you have to be careful with this. I'd like to just give it a go and just learn as I go, taking it apart but any other things I should watch out for or separate? I have been keeping circuit boards from everything I can and any other non ferrous metals I can salvage. If I take out the copper and such would I still be able to bulk junk the remnants as weight? Hope that part isn't confusing!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Your asking if it's ok to smash leaded glass on tube tv's?

I'll refrain from my first reaction an say something nice.

You need to a search on here. You'll find our views on smashing glass.

Hello? Wall? Are you available? I need to beat my head against something.

Sirscrapalot - Seriously?

3. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,906 Times in 2,555 Posts
    if you break the screen you will be shocked!

5. The Following 6 Users say Thank You for This Post by hobo finds:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    I'd like to just give it a go and just learn as I go, taking it apart but any other things I should watch out for or separate?
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/tv-mo...g-monitor.html
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

7. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 600 Posts
    As for one that does many crt's (over 2000this year) I never break the glass . There is plenty of info on here about doing it safely and properly. But before you even start ask yourself ," what do I do with the glass and plastic ". I have somewhere to take them for free. Some states charge a fee. I also charge to remove them unless it's whit other scrap.

9. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by junkfreak:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Questions like these rile up those of us who do the tv's right.

It's been said before on here, an time for it to be repeated I think..

If you can't do it right, and/or dispose of it properly...DON"t DO IT.

Sorry OP not trying to be a ****, but this is/used to be a commonly asked question, as said above..those of us that do it, do it right, or we don't do it. Hence why a lot of folks on here won't mess with tube tv's or monitors.

Sirscrapalot - OMG Becky! Look at her butt...it's so...BIG! - The annoying chicks at the start of Baby Got Back.

11. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I heard if you burn them you can recover the lead

Totally serious here

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Yeah, that's a big no-no.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to matador for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 521 Posts
    Yes, lead can be recovered from leaded glass. Its pretty much an industrial process, involving separating the leaded glass on the picture tube from the unleaded glass, crushing the glass and extracting the metals by chemical means. Some processes are done at high temperatures with the molten glass. Some of the chemicals used are not so user friendly, like Nitric acid, although there are several processes and the chemicals used can be more or less toxic.

Here;s a summary from a 2013 patent on one method of removing metals from glass:

Lead and/or Indium cam be recovered from cullet containing indium and/or lead, such as cullet from CRTs and flat panel displays. A chloride salt melt including AlCl3 is used to dissolve the cullet. The melt may be electrolyzed and the lead and/or indium and other metals may be selectively electro-deposited from the salt melt. The two steps may be combined in a continuous process.The salts in the salt melt are not consumed but can be recycled, with exception of the flux due to formation of chlorine gas and alumina. It is also possible to recover lead and/or indium and other metals from the salt melt by vaporizing the respective chlorides and condensing them, or by leaching the salt phase in water and extracting the metals as hydroxides by hydrometallurgy methods.

Not stuff that is done easily in one's garage! Sounds like at step or two more complicated than recovering gold from electronic waste.

Jon.

16. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by sawmilleng:

SMF Badges of Honor

623 s Lyon st Suite 200 Sioux Falls SD 57104
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirscrapalot View Post

Grabs a 4 x 8 sheet rock Here yah go Sir, bang away...

I'll take the heat, Heck no heck no no heck do you break these, you can be in big trouble number one. Number two.,.. its dangerous, Do some research, You'll find out alot more then you bargain for.
    Please Add Us On FaceBook, PC SCRAPPER Sioux Falls SD
    also our Prices are listed here http://pcscrapperS.com
    PC Scrappers LLC
    623 S LYON ST SUUTE 200Sioux Falls, SD 57104
    1-605-271-2616

18. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by pcscrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah you guys are pretty much reiterating what I've read. And I'm sure the guy I scrapped w was an idiot. HE just needed some help and I needed money. I'm surprised the yard took them without asking or noticing just the screens were broke out. It's a big yard too. I just hadn't come across the why or how to dispose properly of the glass. Just that ppl dispose of it differently. So are you guys dismantling down to wires and bolts or merely removing the screens and scrapping them whole as a certain labeled scrap type. I've been reading and watching a lot for weeks but literally everything is new to me and I gotta clear some space to get more. I'm interested to find out what causes the shock or what else is released when doing so. Anything else besides the glass I should be researching?

20. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by turtlejuice:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Also I wasn't asking if it was ok just stating the difference in my observations of one scrapper and what I'd been reading so I can do it right. When I type for instance " why can't I break a tv screen" I get nothing relevant on my engine. It's quite ridiculous what results I get lol
    Last edited by turtlejuice; 12-18-2014 at 09:26 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to turtlejuice for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well think the old saying is stupidity is ignorance,

Of course, its basic common sense.

when one is doing something that you might consider illegal probably is illegal.

and as far as shock, well that be the fly back transformer, best to leave it all intact, We know that there is copper in them, but its best to stack them 45 to a pallet and give them to a recycler that will take them and do the right thing, and just charge your customer a flat fee of 5 /15 dollars a piece, if you don't want them stack the price as high as you want,

Now there is a place you can ship your crt tubes and they will actually recycle and process the crt tubes at 10 per pound that you pay, so do the math,

either way its going to cost you, versus to leave them be and send them to a bigger company that can handle it and properly disppose them.

24. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by pcscrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I thought it was ignorance is bliss lol you just have to remember, it may seem common knowledge to you or any other experienced scrapper but I've never encountered the subject or needed it til now. A lot of people do this in my line of study and expect people to know things that seem everyday to them and easily research able but if you don't know what your researching, questions become necessary on our forums as well. Not to mention not everything you find is right. So asking someone currently experienced helps confirm what your reading.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Also don't forget what happens when u make assumptions. I never had a reason to think anything was illegal. I was just stating observations with no basis for judgement of either. I guess I get the answer I did for assuming people who roam scrap forums that are supposed to be there for people to ask questions about, to them, the unknown would have an interest in teaching their specialty. Not ridiculing for asking.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Also if you look at the bottom of many threads with relevant titles, including this one, there's a "Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum" section that can have good info...
    ~You have to start somewhere to get anywhere~

28. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by ScrappinRed:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlejuice View Post
    Also don't forget what happens when u make assumptions. I never had a reason to think anything was illegal. I was just stating observations with no basis for judgement of either. I guess I get the answer I did for assuming people who roam scrap forums that are supposed to be there for people to ask questions about, to them, the unknown would have an interest in teaching their specialty. Not ridiculing for asking.
    Just to clarify, I wasn't making any assumption I was stipulating what I said, and I agree with Sirs, look down or do a research on the net, the net will tell you a wide variety of information in regarding to CRT it will say DO NOT BREAK, DANGER.

We're here to help but when we see someone post on the forum, its best to nip it in the butt, then to be gentle and kind, and fluffy, because it will never be remembered later,, sorta like TOUGH LOVE....

No PUN INTENDED. just making sure that people that read about this topic understand the consequence of breaking tubes perhaps share this post with Your friend.. that you worked along the side with ... Good Luck.. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAVE a Happy NEW YEAR... WOW 2015

30. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by pcscrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

From a legal standpoint, regulation on CRTs aren't too harsh on the national level (state and county laws can and will vary so read up on those). As far as the EPA is concerned, as long as you aren't breaking them outside and aren't stockpiling them you are fine. CRTs (with both intact and busted vacuums) are NOT considered hazardous waste by the EPA as long as they are kept and transported in a covered room/container (not outside). This means that broken CRTs cannot be transported in the bed of a truck. This classified them as hazardous waste and can open you up to fines. Here is everything you need to know about CRTs as far as the EPA is concerned:

Frequent Questions: Regulation of Used Cathode Ray Tubes (CRTs) and CRT Glass | Wastes | US EPA

OSHA and your local environmental laws may have something else to say, however, so I'd look into those. As far as my personal ethics goes, here are my does and don'ts for CRTs:

DO:
    -Use gloves when taking apart CRTs for recycling.
    -Keep the plastic case intact.
    -Reassemble plastic case around the CRT to make it easier and safer to transport to and for my CRT recycler.

DONT:
    -Release the vacuum (under any circumstance. If I can't get what I need to get, I'll leave it as a bonus to my recycler)
    -Give just the CRT to my recycler without the case (I always put the case back when recycling the CRT. It is much safer for them)
    Last edited by Scrap808; 01-30-2015 at 02:48 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrap808 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirscrapalot View Post

Where's that video of the guy smashing his head on the fence? Thought that was you that posted it once before.

34. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Scrapping Monitors & TV's (Plastic & Glass)
      By PinkFloydEffect in forum TV and Monitor Recycling
      Replies: 65
      Last Post: 01-08-2014, 10:30 PM
    2. scrapping vintage macintosh monitors
      By copycat in forum Vintage Electronics
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 11-12-2012, 09:58 AM
    3. Can you make money scrapping the glass from computer monitors
      By ChrisKotch in forum TV and Monitor Recycling
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 10-11-2012, 07:00 PM
    4. Scrapping computer monitors-Illegal?