Too many printers, not enough time.

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    Rollyrogers33 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Too many printers, not enough time.

I have been taking printers from people for awhile now. The printers have a low yield of return for the amount of time you have to invest. I tried bulk them up so I could process them at the same time. It ended being hopeless when I started so I kept pushing them off. 50 printers later. I took them in Saturday to a place that buys printers at .05/lb. I needed the space like pronto and didn't really have a choice. My weight was 419.55 pounds @ .05/lb equals $20.98. What joke. I hope to not let that ever happen again.

"It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage." Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I usually let printers sit for slow times...You are right though they are much more labor intensive than other electronics. However there usually are some decent components inside.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollyrogers33 View Post
    I have been taking printers from people for awhile now. The printers have a low yield of return for the amount of time you have to invest. I tried bulk them up so I could process them at the same time. It ended being hopeless when I started so I kept pushing them off. 50 printers later. I took them in Saturday to a place that buys printers at .05/lb. I needed the space like pronto and didn't really have a choice. My weight was 419.55 pounds @ .05/lb equals $20.98. What joke. I hope to not let that ever happen again.
    At least you have somewhere that will take that quantity at one time. I'm sitting on over 3000 pounds of them, mostly larger network printers as opposed to personal size. Some of my yards don't like seeing large quantities come in at one time. Too much plastic on them. Funny thing is that by the time you get the boards outs, there is considerably less plastic. I just don't want to load up 3000 pounds at one time and then have to take them back home.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 Times in 1,877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollyrogers33 View Post
    I get shred prices for printers, electric motors and transformers. My yard doesn't mind the printers so I pull the side panel and grab any memory and good boards. 8 cents a pound for shred now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jimicrk for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    wow that's a case of beer and a pack of smokes, that's a good trip. my yard always laughs when I take in a truck load at a time but they will as shred now since they know that I take the ink out of them cause some they don't do it for because of it. ink is the biggest money maker of it all so I continue to do so but only tear them down when there good ones with nice boards and memory and of course resale on some

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 635 Posts
    My yard takes them as shred. Never had much luck with the ink or toner cartridges, but I WILL start removing boards!
    Burly Smash![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    John Terrell (248) 224-2188
    Burly Guys Junk Removal LLC
    5499 Perry Drive Unit P Waterford, MI 48329
    http://www.burlyguys.com

8. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Maryland | Help Wanted - Part time Yard Help Needed in Northwest MD...Full Time if you prove your keep
      By MisScrap in forum Scrappers Classifieds
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 10-25-2016, 04:14 PM
    2. Full time Cable Guy. Part time Scrapper. What got me started
      By faction757 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 05-24-2014, 11:06 AM
    3. Hello! Full time welder part-time scrapper here
      By Patrick in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 09-28-2011, 10:35 PM

Thread Information