gold pin boards

| E-Waste Grading and Identification
    malignity started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

gold pin boards

Just curious, what are gold pin boards considered? High grade?

My yard just goes by grade (low, medium, high) and the lady on the phone couldn't tell me what was considered high grade other than 'it has the goal post on it'. Obviously motherboards. I'm sure though that other boards are considered high grade?

So what the heck are all of the gold pin boards? All of my gold finger boards go through the band saw before being scrapped, but I'm not going to bother doing it with all of the gold pins. By gold pins, I mean the boards on hard drives and CD/DVD roms. I've got about 60lbs of gold pin boards, just don't know if I need to throw them in my mid grade or high grade.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    by gold pin boards, i mean ones like this in the middle.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    theres buyers on the forum paying about $3 a pound for cd rom boards, and like $1.50 a pound for floppy boards

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Longhairboy for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    cd/dvd rom boards and hard drive boards are a lot different in prices cd/dvd rom boards $3-4lb harddrive $10lb but all these must be intact for that price so no sawing off gold pins on these but the pics you have posted are floppy type drives which are much lower in value so I would check around for prices on those as it may be worth removing pins. also before going to your yard again I would check out prices in the forum first usually there double what a average yard pays.
    p.s. also I hope your not just tossing away devalued finger cards there worth money as well

6. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by travistemple202020:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Nope!

I just discovered though that my yard is a bunch of idiots when it comes to e-waste after talking to the yard manager. I will NOT be taking my boards there I don't think.

They consider ALL boards that are not brown 'mid grade' boards and buy at .65 a pound unless they are gold finger boards. Gold finger boards are $2.30lb.

Essentially all non brown boards are mid grade unless they're finger boards according to my yard. Does this seem even remotely reasonable? Their excuse is that they don't deal with enough in the area to separate them.

What the eff. Maybe I'll toss in my devalued fingerboards after they hit the bandsaw, but that'd be about it. Motherboards at .65 a pound seems awfully cheap.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhairboy View Post
    theres buyers on the forum paying about $3 a pound for cd rom boards, and like $1.50 a pound for floppy boards

I dunno what's what now. I've just been pitching them all in a box. Doh.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 703 Posts
    if you know the manager, maybe offer to buy boards from them for 1.50 'b, but you get to dig through and take what you want
    Currently looking for a job in or related to scrap/recycling. Relocation is possible for the right offer.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhairboy View Post
    Most places consider brown boards low grade, no matter how many pins are on it. Personally, I break off the pin connector and pull the easy motors and the board hits the low grade pile and the rest is shred.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Just started scrapping eWaste, and been reading up on forums, and I see this one talks about CD/DVD, floppy drives and HD.
    do you guys beak them down, and keep just the board? What's the best bang for buck for all three, been looking can't find anything concrete to go off of yet.
    If any of the Old Guard see this, feel free to point me to a more relevant thread.

Thanks

(Almost 40+ drives and they are taking up space....)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 471 Posts
    Best shot is looking in the buyer section. Check out the price lists and you'll find the CD/DVD and the HD board categories priced separately. Floppies are hit and miss, some buy the whole board, some only the pin section.

Personally, I break down all my drives, separate the metals, and keep the boards until I have enough to sell of each type.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pnutfarmer for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    It seems very confusing at first it did to all of us but, a little study and a few hours on old threads will save and can make you a lot of money.
    "anyone who thinks scrappin is easy money ain't doin it right!"

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnutfarmer View Post
    Best shot is looking in the buyer section. Check out the price lists and you'll find the CD/DVD and the HD board categories priced separately. Floppies are hit and miss, some buy the whole board, some only the pin section.

Personally, I break down all my drives, separate the metals, and keep the boards until I have enough to sell of each type.
    Thanks, will do, I'm hoping to find a relatively sure way of dealing with them as most of my scrap will be in bulk, the last thing I want to do is have to break 1000 of them down because that's the only way they will take them, so if I can do 10 at a time as I'm breaking a CPU down, great. Will see what I dig up in the buyer section.

Thread Information