Good garbage day in the suburbs...

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    Lawn Island Scrapper started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Good garbage day in the suburbs...

man, i was on a roll tonight! if only every garbage night went like this...

-about 2 lbs insulated copper
    -full size hot water heater
    -room size dehumidifier
    -2 vacuums (someone cut the cords but wasn't thinking of the motor!)
    -original xbox game console (no wires or anything though)
    -about 400 lbs of steel (chopped up swing/playset, a 8'x1-1/2" galvanized pipe, 2 bikes, segment of chainlink fence, car wheel rims, heavy ass rusted 100lb piece of something and a bunch of random pieces)
    -pyramid 207 - 7 band equalizer/amplifier from the 70s, i guess for a very specific car... beat up box has a pic of a camero and $119 pricetag, can't find any info on this online
    -some sterling silverware
    -2 1' tall hanging brass & glass candle holders
    -some sealed vhs & cds - $1 ea
    -great shape world's fair 14 postcard set from '65
    -honeywell udc-2000 mini pro, brand new in sealed bag (i don't know what this is... $20 on ebay $300 some online site?)

and most impressive.... a hamilton us navy pocketwatch from 1943 (one very similar looking listed at 1500$ online!)

...talk about coming up on a bunch of totally obscure stuff in different locations!

costed me 1/4 tank of gas ans just over an hour.
    Last edited by Lawn Island Scrapper; 03-09-2011 at 11:29 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    omg that is freakin awsome i would never in a million years get that lucky=)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    That is pretty good. A neighborhood I hit up every monday/thursday is exactly like that, 5000 houses and about 15 scrappers all roaming around. Rich people throw away good stuff, hah.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If you dont mind me asking.. What towns do you roam?? I live on the north shore and I had a decent night last night myself.. Granted I cant take the amount of stuff you probably can but I picked up I drove around for about 3 hours..

4 car batteries, ( saw at end of driveway so I knocked on door and asked if I could have them)
    12 lbs of aluminum from varios things,
    5lb solid brass lamp and a few door knobs
    2lbs of wire and
    280lbs of Steel pieces

.. yard paid me $84 for a few hours of driving around.
    I also came across a marching band drum from the 70s in great condition.. they sell for anywhere from $60 to as much as $300 on Ebay so thats a nice score there !!
    Also found a Vintage BB Gun Rifle but you cant sell those on Ebay so I suppose I'll keep it or try craigslist

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    cool find on the BB gun...
    i'm a south shore guy and stay local during the winter...
    april-november i do lawn sprinklers so am all over LI...
    where do you recycle batteries? Arrow Scrap pays out $10 each

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Bi County pays $10 each as well...
    I have no complaints with Bi County... they dont get too nuts with " dirty" or clean... They dont scrutinize every little thing... they sort of expect you to be on the up and up and they seem to do the right thing...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Man, I went out last night and this morning aned found very little... I guess either A. I got beat to alot of stuff or B. People just didnt bother putting out stuff in the rain...
    The only good thing is I found a house with a dumpster full of metal.. I'm going to go back a little bit later and hopefully someone will be home so I can knock on the door and ask if I can take some if it... We're talking car doors, pipes etc.

The only thing I managed to find this morning in my 2 hours driving is a heavy sink and a dishwasher with the motor nice and exposed and easy to get to
    not much money there though.... I'm hoping to get at that dumpster to make up for the lost time and fuel...

is the lack of stuff out there last night and this morning because its late in the week or is it mainly because of the pouring rain and people are just not putting that extra thing or two out??

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Sometimes you hit the jackpot and sometimes you get skunked. Just take the bad with the good and it'll even out. If you go three or four times and still get nothing, make adjustments. Maybe earlier to see if someone is getting there ahead of you. Or maybe they're just not putting stuff out that you want.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    This week I actually went out every night to get stuff to break down to tide me over until I get to go pick up a few washers. Monday and Tuesday were ok, but not great. Old metal vacuum. Would of tried to sell as antique but they did some major damage to it and figured it wouldn't be worth trying to find an antique dealer looking for it. Got a few small things. Wed. and Thursday were awful. Only thing we found was a metal racking but upon closer inspection, there was a crappy cloth diaper stuck to it and we decided, NOPE, we don't need it that bad.

Got a bit of aluminum from what we did find and finished breaking into alot of small pieces that we have let go for awhile because they would be time consuming. Obtained about 5 extra pounds of aluminum, 10 on copper #2 and about an extra 10# of brass from the little projects.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Cool to hear bi-county pays $10 for batteries, they must be decent with other commodities then...

Arrow doesn't get nuts with how clean the scrap is either... reg steel price for washers even though they have that cement piece screwed inside them, etc. Also I like that they give you a printed recent with everything you scrapped, its weight, what they pay per lb, and what you got.

i got very little that rainy garbage day last week to... 1 stainless steel dishwasher & a treadmill was pretty much it.... still $46 combined

i will be putting that pocketwatch i mentioned in the first post on ebay tomorrow... so far have i craigslist bids up $250, a jeweler offered $175....but i think i can get at least $400 on ebay though

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm alway's afraid I'll come across a dirty diaper like that....yuck!!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I like Bi County... they are real easy going and honest.. I had 2 radiators I brought them today and I thought they were aluminum... turns out they were Brass...
    He could have easily paid me 50 cents a pound but instead he corrected me that they were brass and paid me accordingly

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumpster Dee View Post
    I'm alway's afraid I'll come across a dirty diaper like that....yuck!!!
    Lol, wait til you have kids. Because of my 2 year old, this is something I'm not worried about (dirty diapers) =)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I've worked plumbing.. commercial fishing, I have 2 kids etc... not much I have not had all over me in regards to " yucky stuff " a dirty diaper wouldnt really upset me.... it is what it is man.... wear gloves and long sleeves and pants... protect ya neck !! LOL

15. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Pickin day before garbage day. best times?
      By dryvr12 in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 07-11-2012, 04:22 PM
    2. so the other day i think i had a good day
      By nivlac in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 04-17-2012, 06:24 PM
    3. Good day to all....
      By FreshTagg in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 03-16-2012, 09:53 AM
    4. Replies: 24