Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scrapping Spots

| Scrap Metal Spots
    Saroro started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Scrapping Spots

So, I've heard a lot about different places to go for different scrap, so let's see if I can get it all into one thread and then we can add more if I forget any. We can have a one stop shop for new locations when needed.

Auto Shops / Buying Junkers - All manner of metal, cores, catalytic converters, rims, and parts for possible resale. May cost money to buy, but good consistent source of scrap. A+ for longevity.

Farms and Countryside - Well known for large and many piles of scrap. Old tractors, metal roofing, etc... Good for possibly tons of metal. A+ for quick cash, but need to keep hunting for longevity.

Construction Sites / Contractors - Getting in with contractors can be a big win! They are always building, renovating, and making scrap. Good for iron and copper pipes, HVAC tubing/vents, furnaces, hot water heaters, copper electrical wire, etc... Make friends, take them some beer (or whatever they like), and reap the rewards. Caution: many builders are entrepreneurs, and as such may already be taking in their scrap. Good consistent source if you get in.

Local Businesses - Check with local businesses. Get some business cards, dress up a bit, and do some good old fashion meet-n-greets. Nothing like meeting people face to face to get the word out. Be clean and polite, and you will find scrap and referrals! (referrals are as good as gold in this business.) May not produce a lot of scrap up front, but can be immeasurable for more down the road.

Craigslist, Facebook, Internet - Use the internet! Craigslist is free, and used by millions! (facebook too) You will find many leads for both free stuff to pick up, as well as responses to ads you can post. Use it! It's free, easy, and someone else will get the scrap if you don't! Essential for longevity.

Just a beginning. I will add more later, but feel free to post some of your spots and what you find there. Happy Scrapping!

2. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Saroro:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Furniture Stores-A lot of used furniture stores and some new ones will throw away metal furniture that can be picked up. Many of them like to have scrap haulers on speed dial so they don't have to fill up their dumpsters.

Appliance Repair Companies-Good places to find some doa appliances, motors and other assorted scrap

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ComputerScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ive done well looking for scrap in the woods near shopping centers and railroad tracks and dead ends... Really well....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Friends and family should be tops on the list. They will give you stuff and pass the word to many more.

Just my 2 cents.

7. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by parrothead:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Also:

Garbage Days - Do some hunting on garbage days/nights. Many people put out garbage the night before, and you never know what people will throw out! (just read the forums for some stories) "One man's trash is another man's treasure!"

Colleges / Apartments - Constant rotating cycle of people moving in and out. And of course, things always get thrown out when you move! Apartments may be better consistancy, but colleges are lots of people moving out all at once. I'd say longevity for both, but apartments are spread out more during the year. (don't forget college off campus apartments too!)

Hardware stores - May be a good source of scrap, especially if they deal in appliances. The one I work in takes away the old one when we install the new one. (The owner at mine scraps them for the business, but others may not.) Also, we do get tools tossed out by those buying new ones, and returns on items that don't work! Could be a good source for someone who can get in it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Saroro for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I don't know about other states, but most cities in Indiana have a Spring Cleanup where people can throw out just about anything but hazardous waste....Normally a lot of scrap to be had during that weeklong period as long as you can stay ahead of the trash trucks.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I live in Indiana and Spring cleanup is a GREAT time. If you can beat others to it

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerScrapper View Post
    I don't know about other states, but most cities in Indiana have a Spring Cleanup where people can throw out just about anything but hazardous waste....Normally a lot of scrap to be had during that weeklong period as long as you can stay ahead of the trash trucks.
    Take this a step further and have your own day setup at the local schools. Advertise what you will accept and at what times in the paper and people will bring it to you. Better than paying dump fees. Do it once a month or every six or once a year opposite Spring Cleanup.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thrift store dumpsters

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    When using craigslist, what category should I advertise in?

When looking around, I don't see anything in my area.

Thanks.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c4f5 View Post

Thanks.
    Small Biz Ads under "Services".
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Excellent, got it. Thank you very much. Found several in the Denver metro area, but I am 185 miles from there. Nobody else is listed in my area. That can only be a good thing. Thanks again.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Good luck. I agree - being the only one in an area is a benefit. I've had real good luck with Craig's List.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mick for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by c4f5 View Post

Thanks.
    I've gotten good results for posting pickup ads under the appliances section. Just post professionally, and you should do well.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Dump Spots are great- yesterday I found one that had 61 car batteries. Bingo.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Saroro View Post
    I've gotten good results for posting pickup ads under the appliances section. Just post professionally, and you should do well.
    Thanks. I'll do that, too. My area is quite rural, but creative writing comes easily.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hello scrappers, im brand new to scrapping, so out of curiosity are appliances good to pick up for scrap ??? like washers and dryers ? what about tvs and vcrs ???

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newinnj View Post
    Hello scrappers, im brand new to scrapping, so out of curiosity are appliances good to pick up for scrap ??? like washers and dryers ? what about tvs and vcrs ???
    All of that. Do some looking around on here. All those can be broken down, depending on how much work you want to do.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    In reply to the original topic, I had a thought today while going thru town, what about checking in with the rental shops that rent out tools and such. They ought to have a fair amount of breakage and/or updating their equipment as it wears out. Just hadn't seen that listed as a possible, yet. Add it to your list guys,,, Mike

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    My dad had 2 rentals become available. I helped on the cleanup and there was metal at both rentals. Might contact landlords/apts in your area to do cleanups when rentals become available.

26. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Good spots to find scrap
      By Akahn in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 12-19-2011, 10:33 PM
    2. Good spots to find scrap
      By Akahn in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 12-19-2011, 06:43 PM
    3. Historic scrapmetal spots.
      By eesakiwi in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 0