Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Metal Detecting

| Misc. Metal Recycling
    ComputerScrapper started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Metal Detecting

Just wondered if anyone else likes to go metal detecting....Wife and I are big fans of it...Like the commericals say "It is the hobby that pays for itself"

Actually it is a good hobby for someone that scraps....We pulled a whole bags worth of cans out of the ground during one trip...Other detectorists that were around said we found a bunch of junk but to me it is just like finding money.

Of course finding gold, silver and regular clad is also great....We have yet to find gold but I have found an old Barber dime and a silver ring that just happened to have my wife's birth stone in it (so it was confiscated before I could sell it on Ebay LOL)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ComputerScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    This is something I have wanted to do for years. So about a week ago I baught one. Just waitng for the snow to clear and I am off to see what lies below.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to j&jscrap for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    I have had some good luck with mine. 9 gold rings, a gold chain and a gold cross. Along with some indian head cents and a barber dime. Other silver too. I was able to find the owner of three of the rings. 2 of those were wedding bands and one was a class ring. That was even better than the gold content.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to parrothead for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Beaches are a good place for those. I remember when I was a kid, in the Bahamas for vacation, Dad and I combed the beaches there in the morning, would come back with hundreds of various coins and jewelry.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j&jscrap View Post
    This is something I have wanted to do for years. So about a week ago I baught one. Just waitng for the snow to clear and I am off to see what lies below.
    I know the feeling....We had a lot of snow this year and then the flooding started so I have spent a lot of my free time cleaning up after the water damage....But my detector is ready and waiting for me to get out there.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rca987 View Post
    Beaches are a good place for those. I remember when I was a kid, in the Bahamas for vacation, Dad and I combed the beaches there in the morning, would come back with hundreds of various coins and jewelry.
    Beach combing is great....I always loved hunting beaches because it is much easier to dig through sand than it is through standard soil. There are lots of treasures that can be found beneath the sand.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sweet, what kind of detector did you get? I use two different units depending on the situation...I have one Bounty Hunter and one Minelab.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    Just started it last year. Found 1 silver ring and 1 gold. Also found a merc. It's one of the greatest hobbies I've ever had!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypoman for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I got a Treasure Cove. I know nothing about metal detectors. It had good reviews. Looking forward to going out with the kids and finding some treasure.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I got a Treasure Cove. I know nothing about metal detectors. It had good reviews. Looking forward to going out with the kids and finding some treasure.
    You have a good machine....I am sure that you will find a lot of great stuff with that machine.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ComputerScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I wanted to offer a little trick that my wife and I have come up with....If you happen to have an old rock tumbler sitting around (or you can pick one up pretty cheap on the internet) you can use it to clean your modern coins.....We found out that banks (especially in Indiana) are pretty picky about dirty coins being brought in because they say it jams up their machine....So we take out the rock tumbler, toss in the coins, a little Comet and some water and let them tumble overnight. By morning they are nice and clean and ready to cash in.

17. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by ComputerScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerScrapper View Post
    I wanted to offer a little trick that my wife and I have come up with....If you happen to have an old rock tumbler sitting around (or you can pick one up pretty cheap on the internet) you can use it to clean your modern coins.....We found out that banks (especially in Indiana) are pretty picky about dirty coins being brought in because they say it jams up their machine....So we take out the rock tumbler, toss in the coins, a little Comet and some water and let them tumble overnight. By morning they are nice and clean and ready to cash in.
    Keep in mind though, if you're taking it back to the bank then this is ok. If you take it to a coin shop or try and sell it though, don't clean it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    Keep in mind though, if you're taking it back to the bank then this is ok. If you take it to a coin shop or try and sell it though, don't clean it.
    Right, anything old and valuable should never be cleaned. We use the rock tumbler for modern clad coinage only.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I've been metal detecting for around 9 years now. I have a Garrett GTAx 550. I love the thing. And yes over time it has paid itself off several times over. I found that the cheap rock tumblers don't clean very good. I bought one of the better ones that are made of rubber and are belt driven. Spent about $70 for it

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Any good places to go when you don't live near a beach? lol I'm a land-locked upstate NY'er.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Saroro View Post
    Any good places to go when you don't live near a beach? lol I'm a land-locked upstate NY'er.
    We started out hunting in public parks....Of course it is best to check with local law enforcement before doing so, but parks have been good to us over the years and they are generally great for a person just starting out in the hobby. I used my own back yard to get a feel for the machine and learned how to dig without doing any damage to the ground and so on.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ComputerScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Saroro View Post
    If I was you, I would look up old battlefields and whatnot up there. The chances of finding something may be low, but I would love to find an old musket ball or something.

DYODD on laws regarding that though...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Also, you don't need a beach for people to go swimming. That old pond out yonder may have just been a huge hot spot 50 years ago where everyone in the county gathered to cool off on a hot summer day. Don't think about where the people are now, you need to think about where they were before.

Look for old drive in theatres. They alwas had swing sets in front of them where kids would play and lose their change from their pockets. And so on....

26. The Following User Says Thank You to parrothead for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Old churches and gathering places such as that make a great place to hunt as well....A long time dectorist once told me that the way that pants were made during the horse and buggy era made it so the change in the pockets of men rolled to the top when they were riding to where ever they were going...As such the men would step down out of the buggy and their change would fall in the grass or what not. Old churches have been good to us and the pastors or caretakers are usually super nice and ready to let you hunt.

But a word of caution....The places that you would drive by and dream about hunting may turn out to be a dud....There was this old one room school house near where we used to live and we used to drive by it all the time...I dreamed of getting my detector around there and finally a few years later I was given the chance and I STRUCK OUT....I did not find anything other than scrap metal in the ground...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have a co worker that does metal detecting, he came over and buzzed the yard. He was more interested if an old coin popped up and then we would split it. No old coins, but found 23 cents that my son got off him and then a few chunks of small copper pipe and some brass stuff. Wasn't much so it got scrapped. Couldn't even tell what they were from.

29. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Replies: 51
      Last Post: 02-14-2020, 08:08 AM
    2. Some basic metal info here. Metal Pictures, Types of Metal, isri etc.
      By hobo finds in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 04-25-2013, 02:54 PM
    3. Illinois - Scrap metal removal and Metal recycling services in southwest suburbs, chicago
      By Joe&Felix in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 07-12-2011, 05:53 PM
    4. New Hampshire - Metal Recycling and Scrap Metal Removal Services - AA Metal Recycling
      By AA Metal Recycling in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 01-15-2011, 01:38 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information