Sob's & crt's

| TV and Monitor Recycling
    bigburtchino started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,132 Posts

Sob's & crt's

OK when I got to work this morning, I have three more monitors. That's a total of eleven this week illegally dumped in our dumpsters. The SOB's dumped eight for us on Monday and now three more this morning. This is not the first time, I have not kept records of how many in the last four years (more than 30), since we started processing our own trash. One of our biggest problems is the illegal dumping that goes on. We have security and cameras, but large complexes with 24/7 operations, Hard (very hard) to monitor dumpsters, distinguish between authorized and illegal dumping. The good thing is this week they didn't break the CRT's and they were complete systems. That's towers (not gutted), printers, battery backups and they even boxed up all the cabling (how nice of the SOB's).

Looks like we will be breaking down CRT's today!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It's better than them loading up the trunk of a car to get more weight - I guess

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RLS0812 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    if ppl dump stuff
    and if theres something in it for you-its not so bad

compared to them picking all the goodies clean & dumping totally useless scrap in your dumpsters.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yes it's always better if your going to throw a dog a bone, that you leave a little "meat" on that bone. No I don't like illegal dumping in any form, why - well it's illegal. Here in California, it's illegal to dispose of your trash on private or public property without consent or permission. E-waste is not supposed to go in normal trash, certainly not supposed to dump hazardous waste (TV, monitors, CRT's, batteries, florescent light bulbs, oil and many more items).

Let me put it in simple math terms. Just for explanation and demonstration, we have man #1 and man #2, both equal in every way except:
    Man #1 is a customer and pays to be on your property and allowed to dispose of his trash. He pays you $2 and cost you $.50, we made $1.50, thank you #1.
    Man #2 is not a customer, but an uninvited "guest", that comes onto your property in he middle of the night, he pays you nothing and cost you $.50, we loose $.50, don't get caught #2!

Scraping is not how I earn my living, it helps me control cost for myself and my customers. I like doing it and I thank the members of SMF as you have taught me almost everything I know about scraping.

6. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by bigburtchino:

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,450 Posts
    You have to love dumping.

At our first E-Waste event, someone left a 60" projection TV next to the truck the night before the event. At least it worked, so I got a nice TV... until it broke.

Cameras only do so much. Fortunately, cameras and a big sign have worked for us. You don't want the reputation of being a dump. There was a place out here that used to take E-Waste for free. The CRTs got out of hand. We had one of these as our large truck back then:

I know that there were at least 10 loads worth of CRTs outside alone. That's not figuring weight- that would be just filling the box until it's full. The DEQ was finally called after you could see the pile from the highway (They were about 3-4 blocks back, but there was open space between them and the road).

What a mess...

A dump reputation isn't a good thing.

8. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by matador:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    Where I scrap is a small yard where anyone can dump off anything metal. ish......
    The owner gets first pick of what get dropped off and takes the rest in a as shred.
    Unfortunally some people dump off rubbish and stuf that "well its got metal IN it......"
    (A couch or mattress, while it does have metal in it, isn't actually Metal!!)

And CRT's,...... Heaps of CRT's.
    I do scrap the Copper out of them, since they are there anyway, because I'm there often there's less people actually dumping them when I'm present.
    But since I don't have any legal authority, I simply can't actually stop them, I just act as a deterrant.

We went to digital tv a while ago and the CRT's won't work unless you get a digital box for it.

Anyway, its really funny when someone drops one off, wistfully looking at it with the great memorys it still holds of watching tele with the family and epic sports moments all tied up inside it.
    With the fact that it probably cost $2000 and it still works just as good as it did @ day 1.

Then they turn around and get the remote and gently place it on top of the TV.......
    Last edited by eesakiwi; 10-17-2014 at 03:24 AM.

10. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by eesakiwi:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Matador - You are 100% right about, "looking like a dump". My experience of property management (20+ years), that if you don't stay on top of it, you become a "magnet" for all kinds of problems. Illegal dumping and graffiti almost seem to go hand in hand. In that tolerate one and the other will follow. Along come other vandalizing and then next thing you have more serious crime. They actually have a term for this, "Broken Window Syndrome", if you run a business It's suggested reading, that I highly recommend (just let goggle be your educator). I personally try to get all signs of crime handle swiftly and work at any means to minimize becoming someones victim!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bigburtchino for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

We purchase laptop computers and many components for greater than scrap value. We offer a shipping reimbursement program.replies

Thanks
    Completely true!

The dumping didn't concern me as much as the theft did.

What a poorly run operation. I saw people dumping entire pickup truck loads at once.

The DEQ and the city got after them and they cleaned it up somehow. There is still some dumping, though. They were glad that we would take towers. They sent them all to us eventually, just to try to keep the facility from getting out of hand and to stop theft. Imagine how many hard drives were compromised? It makes me shudder today- this was two years ago.

Once you start down that slope, you never stop.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to matador for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I did a quick calculation from past experience - not counting labor, you can make a profit from tearing down CRTs and legally recycling the leaded glass .

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RLS0812 View Post
    I did a quick calculation from past experience - not counting labor, you can make a profit from tearing down CRTs and legally recycling the leaded glass .
    Sounds like a good opportunity for you!!!!!!!!!!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RLS0812 View Post
    Money and restrictions play a big part in getting anything like this going.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Regulations are the killer. Out here, you don't want to touch CRTs for the fear of DEQ, much less refine the glass.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Took 17 CRT's in this week, to a Korean company. They have both R-2 and Cal. Stewardship cert's, this is a local company (less than 2 miles away). They pay $3 to $5 for complete units (not stripped). Just happy to have a local company to recycle them. I did get a receipt, but not sure where they go from here?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    wish I had someone close to me to take them. I have about 4-500 complete units on hand, along with 1500 tubes in gaylords, SMH !!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMETALRECYCLERS View Post
    wish I had someone close to me to take them. I have about 4-500 complete units on hand, along with 1500 tubes in gaylords, SMH !!
    Wish I was near you to make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bigburtchino View Post
    Took 17 CRT's in this week, to a Korean company. They have both R-2 and Cal. Stewardship cert's, this is a local company (less than 2 miles away). They pay $3 to $5 for complete units (not stripped). Just happy to have a local company to recycle them. I did get a receipt, but not sure where they go from here?
    Exported probably.

22. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Staples and CRT's
      By ron22 in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 03-26-2013, 09:46 PM
    2. A use for CRT's
      By KrazyK in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 11-04-2012, 06:45 PM
    3. Any Tip's on CRT's
      By aintskeered in forum General Electronics Recycling