I am giving away steel

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    parrothead started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts

I am giving away steel

Yes, you heard me right. I have limited space for the moment and just can not store it or haul it at this point. We moved here 10 months ago from a 2400 sq ft house with a 4 car garage to a 1400 sq ft with a 2 car garage and still trying to get through all of the crap we moved down here.

Here's the deal. I have a big smoker that my buddy Bob made. We used it to compete with. I ended up with it when he died about 2 years ago in a car wreck. I am going to sell it (it will go to a good home that will appreciate it) and buy a trailor for scrapping.

In the mean time, when I bring stuff home to strip, I do have space for all of the wire, motors, aluminum, etc, but the steel was just getting insane and I don't want wifey getting upset at the mess until she sees some real money coming in. She is good, but I don't want to push it.

Anyhoo, the last couple of garbage days, I have been setting the steel on the road with no problem of it being gone very quickly. I know it hurts. I am just giving away money, but once I have the trailor, all of the steel will go straight inside of it and not be an issue. When it is full, it will be worth my gas to haul it to the scrap yard.

So tonight, I drag a bunch of stuff out and it took about a half hour before I saw a truck stop. It was a lady all by herself. She had a truckload of scrap including a tub, an antennae, and lots of other stuff. I went down and offered to help her. She was very gracious and a nice lady. We talked a little bit, but she did not seem to understand much english. Enough that we could communicate a little bit. She had a computer in the back of the truck that she had picked up and I asked her about it. She motioned for me to take it and I accepted it. It was old and even had a 3 1/2 in floppy drive.

After she left, I kicked myself for not exchanging numbers with her so I could call her wiht more steel and maybe she could help me get computers. Oh well, I will be scrapping my own steel soon enough.

I took the computer to my bench and set it aside as I was in the process of stripping a laptop and needed to finish it. I just finished the laptop when wifey informed that it was time to get ready for the county fair.

We went for a couple hours and when I got home, I could not wait to get at that old computer because I have been dieing to get some old ones for those really good CPUs that have a big gold foil on the top in addition to all of the gold plated pins on the bottom. It took me all of about 30 seconds to get the side off and remove the fan over the CPU and there it was. Bright shining gold as pretty as the day is long. My first one. Cool.

There was probably less than a hundred pounds of steel/tin, and that is worth right around the amount I will gain in gold after cost of refining so I made out good. She probably would have sold it to the scrap yard for around $2 so she made out well.

I guess I just made an epic post all over $10 either way. Sorry, but that is what happened on this day in the life of this scrapper.

Happy scrapping!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If you move to Texas, sure I'll swing by anytime =)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    Well what I got, was you are refining gold. Have you done this with any success/ profit as apposed to time/ labor and chemicals?

And I must agree a fine lady is worth more then a stash of steel. LOL

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by injunjoe View Post
    Well what I got, was you are refining gold. Have you done this with any success/ profit as apposed to time/ labor and chemicals?

And I must agree a fine lady is worth more then a stash of steel. LOL
    No refining yet. I am close. I have been studying it for over a month and am now in the "gathering" mode for tools, chemicals and such. I will be starting with a bunch of gold filled items that I got for free. Those are always the best. From there I have some karat jewelry to play with. By the time I am done with that, I hope to have enough e-scrap to play with. I will keep everyone posted as it happens.

And yes, /agree on the lady.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    are you in az? ill pick it up! sounds like you gave the steel to an illegal immigrant!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by azscrapper View Post
    are you in az? ill pick it up! sounds like you gave the steel to an illegal immigrant!
    I am in florida. Her truck was completely legal for Florida.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    What part of Florida? I'm northeast...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    What part of Florida? I'm northeast...
    Port St. Lucie Treasure coast

9. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Spring steel/couch springs - Worth more than regular steel?
      By Sagan in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 05-30-2015, 01:43 AM
    2. Replies: 13
      Last Post: 09-16-2013, 02:34 PM
    3. have a wounderfull thanks giving all
      By EcoSafe in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 11-22-2012, 08:22 PM
    4. More scumbags giving scrappers a bad reputation!
      By G_P in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 05-30-2012, 07:07 PM
    5. Rant - County is giving me grief.
      By IdahoScrapper in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 29
      Last Post: 09-13-2011, 05:52 PM

Thread Information