Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bankruptcy of CRT Refiner

| TV and Monitor Recycling
    Swampy started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Bankruptcy of CRT Refiner

I just caught an article about the bankruptcy filing of Creative Recycling. It apparently had a presence in several states and in addition to e-waste in general, had a "sub specialty" of sorts (my words, not theirs) in CRT recycling specifically. After that, I googled a bit and found more articles. It's very interesting on a number of counts, not the least of which is what the company plans to do with (apparently) millions of pounds of CRT material. One blurb I caught said they planned to get rid of 75% of it quickly to companies in the U.S. and India ... which I found curious. No breakdown on the USA vs. India percentages, but makes me wonder.

It also sounds like there 2 or 3 companies and a hedge fund interested in buying them, so someone must see this as viable. I suspect it was an issue of too much debt, though again I've only managed a cursory review at this point.

Another very interesting thing was they were the "state e-waste contractor" for Kentucky and now Kentucky is starting to stockpile material until they can find another company to handle it. That's a huge opportunity for someone, but unfortunately it will have to go to a big player (I would think) due if nothing else, to volume alone (nevermind certifications a state would require).

Anyway, I thought it was interesting. If anybody wants to read up on it, just google something like "Creative Recycling Bankruptcy".

2. The Following 14 Users say Thank You for This Post by Swampy:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 521 Posts
    Probably just a company "mining the government". Get grants and incentives, never plan on doing anything with the product they accumulate, and disappear.

I doubt there are more than a couple of outfits in the US that can even handle leaded glass, and I'll bet they know it. They could charge the earth to take the stuff and the only other option would be to ship offshore--if it is even legal to export this waste.

Kinda like the huge scams that have happened with solar panel manufacturers. Think Solindra....well, more like $olindra. Gazillions of your tax money flushed.

Cynic mode {off}.

Jon
    Last edited by sawmilleng; 09-11-2014 at 02:03 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by sawmilleng:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,906 Times in 2,555 Posts
    When CRT's were in use they were recycled and made into more, now that CRT's are no longer made it's harder to recycle them!

Swampy started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    All great points. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to find out they'd sucked up tax dollars and thrown them in a black hole. One of the companies interested is Kuusakosi Recycling, which is said to be a multinational company .... with a key product being CRT glass used as "alternative daily cover" at landfills....??? I don't like the sound of that. Another one was CIMMA out of Florida.

I have seen some activity (I think there was a post recently about this) on lead extraction from CRTs.

Bottom line, somebody somewhere better find a way to deal with it.....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 521 Posts
    To use leaded glass as a landfill daily cover makes a bit of convoluted sense, as when the landfill is full it is capped with a water-resistant cover. Additionally, since the lead is within the glass, it will take quite some time to leach any significant quantities out, even if it is submerged in water.

So the lead will not likely to leach out very quickly in a dry landfill. "likely" is the operative word here. There are probably other lead sources in a landfill so maybe the lead in glass would only make up a small part of the total lead contained within the landfill.

I wonder if the glass guys who DO process leaded glass have a method of actually removing the lead or do they just re-melt the contaminated glass and it and use it to....make Toyotas or whatever?

Jon.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Didn't somebody here post a video about a company that removed the lead from glass and sold it?

Most lead goes into lead acid batteries which are probably going to be obsolete soon enough. And glass outside of windows isn't exactly a booming industry.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownk View Post
    Didn't somebody here post a video about a company that removed the lead from glass and sold it?

Most lead goes into lead acid batteries which are probably going to be obsolete soon enough. And glass outside of windows isn't exactly a booming industry.
    There's a huge amount of glass used to make insulation. In fact, a while back, I read about a Japanese company recycling CRT glass to make insulation for appliances.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownk View Post

These guys set up a plant in Dunkirk, NY. Don't know what they are charging to dispose of glass, but the process sounds neat.

The CRT Television Screen & Computer Monitor Recycling Process - © Nulife Glass

11. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by mthomasdev:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    Theres a Aussie comoany that recycles them.
    Our NZ ewaste company went bust in less than a year too.

Maybe this is why the Goverments are shutting down lead refinerys.
    Because they know that when the price of lead has gone up enough, it will become viabke to frecycle the CRT screens for lead.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    Bet this has something to do with the bankruptcy:
    Regions sues Creative Recycling for $18M, files motion to appoint receiver - Tampa Bay Business Journal

That Nulife business is NOT a viable business. They receive millions in NY subsidies and that where most of their "revenue" comes from. Same with ECS. They "made" about 84 million in 2012, but when you find out that only around 14 million was actually made from business and the rest from subsidies, it kinda changes your perspective on some of these companies. Would they be able to survive without those state subsidies? Doubtful...... But yet they make you think they've discovered some earth shattering profitable way to take care of crts, when really what they've done is convince their states to fund the service , so state loses money and company makes it from state. I guess we should be a little grateful that they can refine these crts but for how long? It's so unsustainable. Then again what government body does anything sensible. Rant over....sorry.

Don't get me started on politics! I'll probably end up punching you in the face.- hypoman
    Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
    Thomas Jefferson

14. The Following 7 Users say Thank You for This Post by Hypoman:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Don't get me started on politics! I'll probably end up punching you in the face.- hypoman

Full article at Scrap Metal Forum: http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/tv-mo...#ixzz3D4TIESBj

If you don't put this in the thread I'm seriously revoking any and all future cooler privileges Hypo.

Sirscrapalot - Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

16. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    What thread????????

I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
    Jack Kerouac

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypoman for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    It'll come to you.

Sirscrapalot - 20 pages! Woot.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirscrapalot for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    Yep!
    "anyone who thinks scrappin is easy money ain't doin it right!"

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Just judging by the volume of CRT we get it doesn't matter if CRT recycling is unsustainable, it must occur. CRTs are piling up faster that you can spell CRT. We HAVE to do something about it and if it means the government bites the bullet for the CRT recycling then it has to be that way. I got more bad news, these flat panel TVs are not going to last forever either and we must begin to look at how we are going to recycle those as well...
    Jeremy Burrage - Founder & CEO
    Electrowaste Recycling LLC, Guntersville, AL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elect...31655806922157

23. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Electrowaste:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 676 Posts
    Ummmm .... government isn't the solution. It does some things well like provide for the common defense and maintain a system of roads & bridges but beyond it's core purpose it doesn't have a very good track record. All to often ... it actually makes the situation worse.

You're right about CRT's. That's the biggest volume of e-waste right now. I'm starting to see more than a few flat screens because they don't seem to be very durable. They might last 5 - 7 years whereas the old bubble backs would last for twenty years or more. It's gotta be dealt with.

Ship em' to China !

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    I recall one of our members bringing up the feds removing them (CRT's) from the hazardous waste list.(google search it) No doubt they(CRT's)remain on many if not most of the states' hazardous waste list. It seems that the lead which is mixed with the glass ,not on the surface, does not easily leach out. I would think that the glass has little re-use purpose so it comes down to solid waste.

My theory is that with this rather recent change by the feds charging for the recycling of CRT's may be soon over with.

Recycling of the new tv's is well under way and falls into the same steams as computers. Mike
    Last edited by miked; 09-13-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    Recycling of the new tv's is well under way and falls into the same steams as computers. Mike
    Mike D,

I respectfully disagree. here is a quote taken from electronicstakeback.com

"The LCD TV is perhaps the “poster child” for how electronics are not designed with recycling in mind, because of both material selection and physical design.

Most LCD TVs use mercury lamps to light the screen. An LCD TV will have typically 20 long, thin, fragile mercury lamps running from side to side, throughout the panel. Mercury is very toxic at very small amounts. So a responsible recycler would want to remove these mercury lamps before putting the rest of the device in a shredder or doing other processing that might lead to mercury exposure of recycling workers.

But to get at the mercury lamps inside a flat panel TV, you must disassemble the entire TV first, a process that takes a long time – much longer than it would take you to disassemble a CRT TV. So as a result, some recyclers simply toss the whole thing in the shredder, most certainly exposing their workers to mercury.

The “glass” in the LCD screen is made up of a layer of many kinds of liquid crystals. The liquid crystals are one of the most expensive materials in the TV. Can the LCD glass get recycled, to recover the liquid crystals? No, the “recommended” method of disposal of liquid crystals is incineration."

This is certainly NOT how we handle computers here. That being said we can agree to disagree. We've spoken on the phone a few times and I like ya a lot!
    Last edited by Electrowaste; 09-13-2014 at 02:09 PM.

27. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Electrowaste:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    I do feel you on this "disagreement" and really don't consider us to be in a real disagreement at all. To take it from where you are the feds have strongly encouraged us to purchase the "improved" light bulbs for our houses that are manufactured in China and each contain mercury as well. I think we may be able to overcome this little fed induced bit of mercury endangerment with the coming of led light bulbs. I am currently changing over to the led type myself. I have not looked into what material they may contain but I know what is in the other ones.

To take this a little further each of the fluorescent lights in every public building for the past 50+ years has some mercury in them.

More than one wrong does not make a right but we are not being given any good solutions on much of this. Also in my opinion much of the scientific community follows the dollar and finds that agreeing with the political types ensures them grant money. Keep at it folks I look forward to the in the trenches fixes for recycling. Mike

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yep, it HAS to happen. If the EPA didn't regulate industrial innovation constantly, I don't think anyone would have to bite the bullet and people could actually profit off recycling crts. But they do, and will continue to do so. I also agree about the lcds. There is one company I know of that has the technology to do them. I'm sure there is more, but this comes at a cost to us as well. It's crazy, as recyclers, we KNOW these thing need to be recycled and if we don't want our country to turn into Ghana, we also have to bite the bullet for certain items unfortunately.

As state and federal lawmakers debate the country's energy policies and Colorado's role in the ever-expanding energy economy, let's hope they remember that unnecessary regulations stifle growth while doing nothing for public safety or health.

Bob Beauprez

30. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Hypoman:

31. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Exide Technologies (re: Battery recycling) has filed for bankruptcy
      By Mick in forum Legal Topics - Laws, Certifications, Contracts etc
      Replies: 28
      Last Post: 01-18-2014, 08:00 PM
    2. Refiner issue
      By conrad4784 in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 28
      Last Post: 08-23-2013, 03:19 AM
    3. If you are not sure, ask a refiner