Why "How Many Per Pound" just doesn't work!

| E-Waste Grading and Identification
    Mechanic688 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts

Why "How Many Per Pound" just doesn't work!

Breaking down some CD/DVD drives and thought I'd snap a quick picture to show how different the boards actually are.
    If I get time I will weigh them to show the difference.

P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I agree with ya Mech. Seen it myself with the same boards. Also applies to HD boards.

As we've said many times over the years, Not everything is the same, so don't assume! This applies to lots of things..TVs, CD/DVD drives, HD boards, Motherboards even! I could go on with a list but I think ya'll know what I mean.

Sirscrapalot - I'm unique..like a snowflake.

3. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    I Pulled out a few Hard Drive boards tonite and took a pic. so people could see what "Sir" was talking about.

5. The Following 6 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Mech is the man. I have spoken.

/bow

Sirscrapalot - Off to break down yet another gps an will share the results tomorrow.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirscrapalot View Post
    Mech is the man. I have spoken.

/bow

Sirscrapalot - Off to break down yet another gps an will share the results tomorrow.
    Don't forget to get a pic. of the gold "nugget" the computer man mentioned was in there. lol

8. The Following 7 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 Times in 1,877 Posts
    [QUOTEDon't forget to get a pic. of the gold "nugget" the computer man mentioned was in there. lol ][/QUOTE]

Don't forget it's got to be a gps that came off of a big truck.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ha, no such luck on a truck gps. It's a magellan. Or was. Nothing good on the inside but a mid-grade board, hardly any gold.

I'm sad. GPS's can be nice finds at times. Pictures an it's own thread to come once I get my stupid phone to stop being annoying an let me transfer the photos to my desktop.

No good nugget. It's like getting a box of cracker jacks an no prize!

Sirscrapalot - Magellan GPS's suck in every way possible. Seriously..navigating by stars is less sucky.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    SATA drives have even smaller logic board, and less PM's then that smallest IDE drive. My guess is that once most of the IDE drives are gone, that the pricing for CD/DVD/ETC boards will drastically decrease. Just my thoughts, but you're right Mech, its hard to give a set price bases on weight when the size and weight of each board differs so greatly. Unless you are getting them for .10 per pound, or slightly more, and can cover most of your costs via shred price....

12. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by TheDude80:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Newer hdd as very light logic board

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    Breaking down some CD/DVD drives and thought I'd snap a quick picture to show how different the boards actually are.
    If I get time I will weigh them to show the difference.

Board at left is 111 grams, bottom right = 59.2 grams, top right = 25.3 grams. Very nice job there Mechanic of picking boards that are real close to 50% the weight of the one before it. However, I'm kinda anal and you didn't finish the job. So here you go. Photos below shows Mech's mid size board along with one that weighs in at a puny 13.5 grams. I'm showing front and back to prove my representative has virtually the same components as Mech's middle weight. Below that, I offer (I have plenty, why not offer a few) some comparison memory sticks. At bottom weighing in at a featherweight 16.6 grams, it will take 27 of them to get your pound. The top one at 66.8 grams takes less than seven to the pound. I believe that's a knockout.

Last edited by Flinthills; 08-28-2014 at 01:45 AM.

15. The Following 6 Users say Thank You for This Post by Flinthills:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 676 Posts
    I was reading through the thread. The manufacturers have been very good at finding ways to do more with less. most of the stuff we're seeing today is much less value rich than it was 20 years ago.

Was talking with an old retired scrapper awhile back and he made the comment " Ayuh ! There's gold in them computers "

I smiled and then explained that it's just about like any other kind of scrapping. Said to him that it's really more about making nickels,dimes, and quarters. Once in awhile i'll find something worth a dollar or two. He just snorted and walked off. To this day i still have no idea of what THAT was about.

It's helpful to know that the weights of items per pound vary.

It might be helpful to be mindful of the rough value of each item you're pulling out.

I started buying to give the local scrappers an easy way of getting started in e-waste if they wanted to. It's just small potatoes but it's a start. Bought a couple of processors recently:

Processor #1: A P-4 Green fiber w/ cap pinless Weight .06 lbs

Buy price: 18 cents

Sell Price: 42 cents

Gross profit: 24 cents

Processor #2: An older Celeron circa 1999 Green fiber w/o cap Weight .01 lbs

Buy Price: 9 cents

Sell Price: 17 cents

Gross profit: 8 cents

If you can do volume it's a really good thing. Turn n Burn ! Keep it moving through the shop. Don't let it start to build up.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappah View Post
    I was reading through the thread. The manufacturers have been very good at finding ways to do more with less. most of the stuff we're seeing today is much less value rich than it was 20 years ago.

Was talking with an old retired scrapper awhile back and he made the comment " Ayuh ! There's gold in them computers "

I smiled and then explained that it's just about like any other kind of scrapping. Said to him that it's really more about making nickels,dimes, and quarters. Once in awhile i'll find something worth a dollar or two. He just snorted and walked off. To this day i still have no idea of what THAT was about.

It's helpful to know that the weights of items per pound vary.

It might be helpful to be mindful of the rough value of each item you're pulling out.

I started buying to give the local scrappers an easy way of getting started in e-waste if they wanted to. It's just small potatoes but it's a start. Bought a couple of processors recently:

Processor #1: A P-4 Green fiber w/ cap pinless Weight .06 lbs

Buy price: 18 cents

Sell Price: 42 cents

Gross profit: 24 cents

Processor #2: An older Celeron circa 1999 Green fiber w/o cap Weight .01 lbs

Buy Price: 9 cents

Sell Price: 17 cents

Gross profit: 8 cents

If you can do volume it's a really good thing. Turn n Burn ! Keep it moving through the shop. Don't let it start to build up.
    When prices are low, I hoard!

18. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Replies: 15
      Last Post: 08-22-2013, 01:43 PM
    2. Replies: 11
      Last Post: 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM
    3. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 06-27-2012, 10:00 PM
    4. The "inconel" impeller RE: 434 pound 617 inconel impeller
      By Shippsrecycling in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 08-12-2011, 12:28 AM