Tips I use

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
    directrecycle started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Tips I use

Here are a few tips/tricks i have accumalated over the years to increase the bottom line

1) If there are a pile of gutted shells in the scrap pile...take a quick look for asset tags or other identifying marks...make contact with them about buying their computers. (DO NOT TELL THEM YOU ARE CALLING BECAUSE YOU FOUND THEIR SCRAP AT THE SCRAP YARD...YOU ARE CONTACTING THEM BECAUSE YOU KNOW THEY ARE WILLING TO LET IT GO)

2) If you buy computers from the scrap yard look for asset tags (same as above)

3) Remove ALL asset tags from your equip so the above doesnt happen to you

4) If you see company trucks from local businesses give them a call. Maybe you can save them the hassle and expense of sending an employee to the scrap yard. Will probably have to pay for it but in the long run that company may be losing money after hourly rate/gas/ and employees being away from their assigned job

5) If you have a good paying yard or get better pricing, take advantage of it.
    Example - the city where i sell my stuff I get 1.13 for #2 wire
    The city where i buy my stuff pays .70 for #2 wire. I can often show them current yard prices (.70) offer to pay them .55/.60 and even offer the conveinance of pick up. and later sell at .113 coming close to doubling my money

6) Download apps for local scrapyard (or bookmark it) , ebay, amazon, smf, and other important apps on your cell phone for quick easy refrence

7) Always keep Craigslist ads up...even only an occasional response is better than none...and its free

8) Be involved with facebook and facebook groups for both buying and selling

9) If someone calls for a tv say...i generally dont take tv's but i will do it as a service with other items. Possibly point out most people charge for them. Might get a lot then you were expecting.

Hope these help

2. The Following 7 Users say Thank You for This Post by directrecycle:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Tips I use

90% of my scrap comes from Facebook. I recently answered a help needed ad on Facebook from a local business. It was a ad to help a guy do some demolition on a burned house that he owns. I showed up and asked for all the scrap in the house. I spent about 3 hours helping with the demolition and took home a full truck load. I told the guy if he came across more scrap just set it along the dumpster. When I went by on my way to work the next day there was another pile (about half a truck bed). Never underestimate Facebook.

4. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. free tips
      By corycouch in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 05-29-2014, 09:17 AM
    2. This thead is a question - AV Tips???
      By thatewasteguy in forum E-Waste Grading and Identification
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 05-05-2014, 04:47 PM
    3. Never really got into scrapping before, looking to get into it? any tips?
      By powerstroke in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 07-09-2013, 09:16 PM
    4. Any tips for me
      By regidroz in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 01-20-2013, 11:04 PM
    5. Any tips?
      By Scrappermatt in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 03-30-2012, 01:17 AM

Thread Information