Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Selling pallets

| Non Metal Recycling
    MattyNoNeck started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Selling pallets

I did some forum searching (before you all go tell me to do it!) and found some old threads but was wondering if there was any updated info.

I have the opportunity to go and get some good condition pallets on probably a regular basis. If I can find someone locally that will buy them, even for a buck or two, I can make this into a regular thing that will help supplement my income. Anyone know of the KIND of place that would be interested in buying them? I called a local pallet company but they will only buy semi-trailer loads a few times a week and a couple of trucking companies, one was a little curt and the other one just flat out hung up on me. Any ideas?

And hey…if you DO know of a specific place in the Albany, NY area that would buy them, I will take that info as well! :P
    "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man. Let history make its own judgments"

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    Most major cities have pallet recyclers......They are usually looking for 48"x40" but some buy other sizes.........If you can sell direct to an end user you will get more.........I have sold pallets before and have made money just not what I am after anymore.........Alot of work if loading by hand.........Check phone book as they are usually listed and if you call them they will tell you what sizes they want

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    When I had my business up and running (large CB shop in Ft.Wayne truck stop) there was a local pallet company that advertised there to buy and sell. Some drivers needed them for an upcoming load while others needed to get rid of theirs to go pick up another load. They would come and pick up at the truck stop. If you have a truckstop nearby, check them out.
    Also should be a local pallet factory somewhere that serves the manufacturers.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Here where I live (CA.) there are pallet repair businesses. They buy used pallets drive in a couple of new nails, replace a plank or two and then resell them buy the semi load. They will take any quantity of pallets and buy small pallets for $.50 each, regular sized pallets for $1 each (48"x40" or 48"x48") and 4-way pallets for $3 each(these are the pallets with notches on the sides to move with a pallet jack, these are 48"x40"). There are other sizes that they will buy but, the best ones are the 4-way pallets.

I would suggest looking for a pallet recycling or remanufacturing company. If that doesnt work you could always try to sell the good ones to the public at $5 each, often people and businesses need a pallet here and there. Hope that helps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsamsonite for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    I even see them in the free section of CraigsList if you decide to get into it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Pallets and cardboard go together pretty good, if you could find a pallet and cardboard recycler that would be good. Most businesses that have pallets also have cardboard. I know a lot of areas dont have cardboard recycling but, I was just a thought.

Pallets and cardboard go together kind of like ewaste, scrap metal, and appliances go together.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsamsonite for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I looked into this last year and best price I found to sell was only a $1 ... and only for 48x40 size ... may be time to make some more calls and see where things stand now.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Here's an ad in my local CL free section: Free Wooden Pallets and crates

Curious if the crates would be any less or more valuable that regular pallets.

If you have some type of tile/porcelain/cement product manufacturing business in your area they might be interested in getting those. Plus those crates may be reused for a different purpose, perhaps with a bit of work. Not sure what that purpose would be but if someone is doing it already, they may be interested in buying those.

Just my $0.02

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ilyaz for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My workplace rents a huge dumpster and pays to have them hauled to a dump... talk about money down the drain. Too much work for me for so little profit, so I just ignore the opportunity... I am busy enough as it is for sure! Good luck, hope you find an end user soon

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
    I looked into this last year and best price I found to sell was only a $1 ... and only for 48x40 size ... may be time to make some more calls and see where things stand now.
    The place I go to doesnt have a phone number or anything formal like a website or anything. Its just a huge lot with several different small pallet repair companies. I found it by driving by it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ilyaz View Post

If you have some type of tile/porcelain/cement product manufacturing business in your area they might be interested in getting those. Plus those crates may be reused for a different purpose, perhaps with a bit of work. Not sure what that purpose would be but if someone is doing it already, they may be interested in buying those.

Just my $0.02
    I'd actually be able to get crates like that as well, but it's tough enough finding someone that will buy the pallets. I may grab a few though and put them on CL, see if there are any nibbles. And hey, if not, they'll be good for scrap sorting!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have a friend back east who has had luck selling to the freight services at the airport. If you are close to one you might give that a try.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoOrScrpr View Post
    I have a friend back east who has had luck selling to the freight services at the airport. If you are close to one you might give that a try.
    That's actually not a bad idea...Albany Intl does a lot of freight. Thanks!

SMF Badges of Honor
    Buying ewaste and vintage video games

Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 707 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilyaz View Post

Just my $0.02
    Rt. 40 I has a few here . Wink wink

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Metalbestos for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Around here 48 x 40 4 way pallets can bring $1-$4 ea. Plastic pallets (non usps) can bring $5-$7 ea. with my old job I use to deliver to the prisons and then they let me haul all their pallets away and next stop would be the pallet buyers. usually 80-100 pallets twice a week.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Few places in Denver that buy for about $3.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 704 Posts
    try these:

Power pallet (Amsterdam)
    Peter C. Herman Inc (Marian)
    IFCO - Albany (locatedin Guilderland)

Not sure if they are buying or charging. IFCO has on there website buying and selling. Called them 2 months ago and they had to many, so weren't buying, but would pick up truck load.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomasdev View Post
    try these:

Power pallet (Amsterdam)
    Peter C. Herman Inc (Marian)
    IFCO - Albany (locatedin Guilderland)

Not sure if they are buying or charging. IFCO has on there website buying and selling. Called them 2 months ago and they had to many, so weren't buying, but would pick up truck load.
    I called IFCO today and same deal...they don't buy unless it's a loaded semi's worth.

Amsterdam is a little far for me so I'd have to stockpile and make big trips (maybe build sides on my truck with pallets!)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ive tried this before. Put up a fake ad (test ad) on Craigslist to see if anyone would be interested in buying them. Within a day, i had a few people wanting to buy 20+ each at $2.50 a pallet. I guess it mostly depends on the area but it was very successful for me. Just put an ad on Craigslist and go from there. The worst thing that could happen is no one wants them and you end up with a big pile of good firewood for free

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Lurch for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Ive tried this before. Put up a fake ad (test ad) on Craigslist to see if anyone would be interested in buying them. Within a day, i had a few people wanting to buy 20+ each at $2.50 a pallet. I guess it mostly depends on the area but it was very successful for me. Just put an ad on Craigslist and go from there. The worst thing that could happen is no one wants them and you end up with a big pile of good firewood for free
    The wood used for pallets is treated wood. You dont want to burn that in your fireplace otherwise youll build up toxic flammable soot whose effects continue lurking in the air days after its done burning in enclosed spaces. Burning of this in general is illegal in most states too

27. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Pallets!
      By ScrapYaHerd in forum Non Metal Recycling
      Replies: 71
      Last Post: 12-09-2017, 10:23 AM
    2. plastic pallets
      By Immulmen in forum Non Metal Recycling
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 02-12-2014, 05:28 AM
    3. Plastic Pallets
      By lousypirate in forum More than Scrap Value
      Replies: 7