Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You should be a scrap metal dealer not a scraper

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
    1956 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 348 Posts

You should be a scrap metal dealer not a scraper

Well I am going to share a little secret with you guys and gals. As some of you know I was a scrap yard owner and this little bit of information should help you get a dealer price for your goods. Now if you don't already know this most yards have a few lets call it teir pricing, so this is how it works the first is cash customer or walkin they are paid the lowest prices because of there low volumes of material or that they just happened to come in once in six mounths, there pricing should be the pricing that is advertised or published on there price list, most yards do have prices posted.

The second pricing is for small scrapers that are regulars, they just do not bring in any real weight of any thing, I think this is the area of most of the scrapers that are here, now is know its hard not to sell every thing you collect in your day I un stand that but let me just say that selling let's say three pounds of number two wire is not going to make or brake your day, so if you did not sell it and you brought it back home a and did that for a couple of weeks now you would have say 30 lbs of number two wire, now I am just using these small numbers to make my point you have to understand that in order to get paid the higher or right price you must bring in weight plain and simple, even being a regular some yards will not pay you more than the posted prices if you do not ask or the scale master feels you are not a important customer meaning you always bring in little amounts of every thing.

The third teir of pricing is called DEALER PRICING and that's where you want to get to, now the way to do that is simple bring in weight now, I am not saying that every dealer brings in lots of weight of every ITEAM but they do bring in good weights of a few ITEAMS. Now if this means that you sell your goods twice a mounth rather than 20 times well that's what you should do. I understand that it might be a little hard to do money wise, but you will have a lot of let's say bargaining power when you go sell your goods it will be a substanchial difference when you are known as a dealer not a scraper, now we are all dealers here it's just the smart ones that capitalize on it. You know I have all was pushed for you to deal with a few yards and that is the BiBle in the scrap game, The easy way to do this is sell if you have to your tin or shred for your cash flow hold your nonferrous metals until you have a good load so that you will be a dealer and not a scraper, I would not sell my tin or shread to the same yard that you sell your nonferrous to, trust me this will propell your bottom line it might be a little tough the first time but once you get that big bank roll togeather there is no looking back. Happy Scraping 1956 I just wanted to post a picture of one load on my flat bed not to boast just to show you how I am a dealer and not a scraper.

Attached Images Attached Images  

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Just so you know that is a old phone number

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Well there goes my plan to tell you how awesome you are.

Guess I'll just have to say it here...Your awesome 56. Nice to get inside the mind of a former yard owner.

Thanks for the info, not just this post but all the others to.

An folks this is why I don't run to the yard every day. I wait till I have a good size load. Helps I mostly focus on ewaste anyhow, but still! Silly for me to make the drive if I don't have weight.

Sirscrapalot - Saluting 56 with a nice frosty glass of beverage.

4. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Sirscrapalot:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 941 Posts
    I agree it's the ONLY way i will run non ferrous scrap to the yard. Whole loads no more than two or three categories, high weights only. nice to see the price crossed out and a higher one put in it's place
    The worst part is coming here and seeing all the high prices you guys are getting for "drive in" and i'm not even coming close with tier two prices.. lol
    Nature of the beast
    As a side gig tier three would not be obtainable... yet

Like 1956 said it's tough to start, I focus on #2 copper by the time i sell, re up 500 lbs or so, I also have 5-600 lbs of (insert non ferrous metals here) also built up. This let's you pick or choose what to sell based on quotes from more than one scrapyard not preset prices. Which in my experience has ALWAYS made me more than breaking it up into smaller batches with lots of categories.
    This is why i thank the forum all the time... You showed me how to make a lot more money without lifting more than a phone. That is a true scrap lesson that all here should listen to.
    There ain't nothing wrong with an honest days work. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.- Old Man

6. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by NHscrapman:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Excellent information. I take my non ferrous in monthly and do get higher tiered pricing on select items.

From your experience, as a yard owner, what kind of volumes are they looking for, per category, to get a raise on your items.

Thanks

8. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by directrecycle:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well let's just say a dealer should have a good amount of goods, I am not trying to be vague but that's a loaded question if you are talking copper asst grades let's say 300 lbs and up if your total ticket is say 1,500.00 and up you should be able to get the higher prices, keep in mind different yards are stronger on different ITEAMS meaning they might have a order that they need to fill and are will ing to pay you high to help fill there order. I does not hurt to neg for higher prices With in reason, because that's what they do when they book there orders, hope I helped you.

10. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by 1956:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    I agree with all you said but around here due to theft and the laws that have been passed making someone wait 5 days for payment on copper it is easier just to take in a little at a time to not raise an issue.......A scrap dealers license is $200 which I don't need nor is required to deal with ewaste..........Any large quantities without that license they want to see some type of documentation of where I got it.........Not worth the headache to me........I can sell 1000lbs of ewaste a week and never raise an eyebrow (GO FIGURE)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinreco for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 7,220 Times in 2,256 Posts
    This is great information and greatly appreciated. The only piece that could be added is call the yard to tell them you have x-amt. of ? that you would be willing to sell. When you up the weights inform the yard. They have a quota to meet on each item and if you are stock piling it, they might be interested when they are short of their quota. I know that failure to meet a quota will cost big money. If you want the amount and type of material, PM me.

Thank you 1956 for sharing your insight.
    Last edited by Patriot76; 07-17-2014 at 07:51 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Patriot76 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well the reason for that is because of the high theft rate so all the higher ups could come up with was regulating certain ITEAMS, I wanted to touch on a thing you brought up, being licensed does not get you dealer prices in the scrap yard it's what you bring in. I personally do not do much with e-waste, but I will tell you one thing when the time comes and you want that big account you being not licensed will not help you, one thing that can separate you from the rest is having the words LICENSED AND INSURED ON YOUR BUSINESS STATIONARY AND CARDS, TWO HUNDRED BUCKS NOT SPENT GETTING LICENSED WILL DEFINITELY HELP YOUR COMPETITION just my .02.

16. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by 1956:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1956 View Post
    Well the reason for that is because of the high theft rate so all the higher ups could come up with was regulating certain ITEAMS, I wanted to touch on a thing you brought up, being licensed does not get you dealer prices in the scrap yard it's what you bring in. I personally do not do much with e-waste, but I will tell you one thing when the time comes and you want that big account you being not licensed will not help you, one thing that can separate you from the rest is having the words LICENSED AND INSURED ON YOUR BUSINESS STATIONARY AND CARDS, TWO HUNDRED BUCKS NOT SPENT GETTING LICENSED WILL DEFINITELY HELP YOUR COMPETITION just my .02.
    No offense but it really does not matter at least for me........I pay for my ewaste and no one has ever asked if I was licensed or insured just how much I pay for a particular item....LOL.........

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinreco for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1956 View Post
    I would not sell my tin or shread to the same yard that you sell your nonferrous to,
    Thanks for the great advice in the post! Could you explain why <not> sell everything to one yard? Doesn't that mean one yard seeing you bringing in more total weight to them (assuming equal pricing between yards).

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I don't sell to one yard for a couple reasons. Much as I love my main yard, there is another yard that pays better for a few items.

I prefer variety myself. The not so favorite yard, usually has a higher price on one or two items, so I'll save it up for them, cause I know they pay more for it. My main yard gets just about everything else if it's not ewaste. I use the buyers here an other methods to move things I don't take to the yard.

Just my thoughts on why to use more then one yard.

YMMV

Sirscrapalot - Freeeeeeeeeddoooom! - Braveheart.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I sell 4 tons of shred to my yard every week-should they be paying me dealer pricing?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    i have the problem of space
    though i would love to be able to accumulate my good stuff & take it in less frequently than i do

if i leave my stuff outside, its going to get stolen
    and indoors, well -not going to happen

so i have to take it in when ive got anything under 10 lbs/5kg's

but i HAVE experienced dealer pricing by mistake
    i went to another yard that i dont go to regularly
    they told me to drive over the weighbridge & go to the back

there was another guy there who ran a small scrap yard & he had brought in decent amounts of all non ferrous
    when he was done, they loaded my stuff onto the scales & i was blown away by the prices i received
    it was close to 20% more than my other yard- on everything

but the sad part was at the end
    -the guy at the scale realised that i was not supposed to be there & told me that i had to use the other scale the next time i came in.
    Last edited by msmoorad; 07-18-2014 at 01:35 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to msmoorad for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bullion View Post
    I sell 4 tons of shred to my yard every week-should they be paying me dealer pricing?
    If you have a good working arrangement with your yard then they should not have a problem bumping the price if you talk to them.
    Gather up your receipts for the last month or two to show the manager and be nice when you talk to him, do not demand. He can see your regular volume when you show him the receipts.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

25. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I wanted to add that for those of you that cant hold on to your scrap for long periods for any reason but you have friends or family that scraps. You can invest in a scale and combine and weigh your stuff together so you "doubled" your weight and may qualify for enough weight to appease a scrap yard's minimums for better pricing . I currently know a yard that is a direct exporter to china for non-ferrous and escrap and has some great prices. I by myself cant satisfy his weight requirements, but with my cousins escrap added to mine we get the best prices in the city for our escrap and we just weigh it mark down our weights make a run to the yard and divy up the cash afterwards. and like the OP said once that big cash starts rolling you are in there like swimwear!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to iscrapanything for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well just talking about tin shread, there is not the margins that nonferrous metals have but,,,,, they should be able to give you an additional $10.00-$15.00 a ton over the walk in pricing just have to talk to the right person at the yard, the owner if owner operated would be the best person to deal with, and if there is a yard manager there he could justify the higher tier price because of the weight you bring in.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well the problem with selling every thing to one yard is simple, if I were checking you into my yard just by what you are selling I would know if you were selling me everything you have, now let's forget about the yards that are let's say not so forth coming with market changes, I am going to talk in scrap yard owner manager terms a little, ok I have a strong out for a ITEAM let's say I booked a order for three loads 120,000 lbs of electric motors and because of this order I got a higher price than the current market so in order to fill this order in the time frame I have I could pay more than my competition and make more, so I could put out some filers to the dealers that I need electric motors and this is my price. Now if you become coplaceint and sell every thing to one yard you would not know about this high price, now I am just using this as a example, I might have a strong out for let's say aluminum rims, or the guy on the other side of town needs some harness wire to fill his order, dealing with different yards will give you exposure to all the different prices for the same ITEAM. Let me also say that when a yard knows you are not selling them everything they will pay you the higher prices so that you keep bringing them material. Because they know you know the prices. But you have to have good weights of your material. Or it does not matter to them. The idea of seeing the guys at the scrap yard daily, and thinking that they are treating you good because of your loyalty well you are kidding yourself. Some times they just cannot pay you the higher prices because you will sell it to them anyway. We make our money on the sale of goods, do not become complacent, be informed and do not hesitate to get on the phone and find out that's going on in your neck of the woods. Happy Scraping 1956.

30. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by 1956:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Montymoose View Post
    Thanks for the great advice in the post! Could you explain why <not> sell everything to one yard? Doesn't that mean one yard seeing you bringing in more total weight to them (assuming equal pricing between yards).
    The answer to your question is simple Monty, and I'm not saying that sarcastic or being a smart *@#. Both the yard and you are doing it to make money. Obviously scrap yards are on a much larger scale, but anyone who does scrapping even as a hobby, should always try to get the best price on their materials. Regardless of if you're a big or little fish, its all about the bottom line. In my opinion. I frequent a couple different yards and the reason being is that like other people on here, I get better pricing on certain materials at other yards. So, if you're bring in weight of a particular material, then the yard who pays more to begin with should also be the one who offers you the best pricing for bringing in x pounds of (lets say) #1 copper. I mainly deal with e-waste but I'm I also delve in appliances and other other scrap.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDude80 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I go to the same yard all the time. Why? Because i get tier 3 pricing on everything. If a yard elsewhere pays higher I tell them to match or else my metal is going, there plus all my future metal. This makes them pay higher to ensure I bring back my metal. I also use my large storage of copper and aluminum as a bargaining token ( If you dont pay this you wont see my copper of 1000 lbs) Plus I go in every day almost.

My question is how do you find what the scrapyards are getting per pound or per ton? Or at least a average of what the commodity is going for. This would be a great bargaining chip if you knew about what they were getting.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to F350scrapper for This Post:

35. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. This thead is a question - TN Scrap Metal Laws and Scrap Dealer Registration Program
      By Spidy in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 05-01-2013, 12:18 AM
    2. Maine - Scrap metal and junk battery dealer
      By Mick in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 08-03-2010, 02:36 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information